Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

Hmm, I'd have said should it go to Dundas West or Dufferin!

What's your intention of linking to that website. It hasn't been updated for years, as far as I know.

Dundas West or Dufferin would be my preference as well (Dufferin being my primary preference).

Keele would only be advantageous if a less expensive Parkside alignment could be used (perhaps cut and cover or trenched through High Park), and Jane is wayyy too far west. Even with a Parkside alignment though, the extra cost of tunnelling in order to get to Parkside would more than offset any gains from the less expensive High Park section.

Dufferin IMO is still the best option. It intersects Queen & Dufferin & the rail corridor perfectly, creating the opportunity for a completely new mid-west end transit hub. Add to that that Dufferin is the busiest N-S bus route in the west end. Not hitting Dundas West is unfortunate, but you're recreating the same effect with the Liberty Village hub.

Hmm, I'd have said should it go to Dundas West or Dufferin!

What's your intention of linking to that website. It hasn't been updated for years, as far as I know.

Dundas West or Dufferin would be my preference as well (Dufferin being my primary preference).

Keele would only be advantageous if a less expensive Parkside alignment could be used (perhaps cut and cover or trenched through High Park), and Jane is wayyy too far west. Even with a Parkside alignment though, the extra cost of tunnelling in order to get to Parkside would more than offset any gains from the less expensive High Park section.

Dufferin IMO is still the best option. It intersects Queen & Dufferin & the rail corridor perfectly, creating the opportunity for a completely new mid-west end transit hub. Add to that that Dufferin is the busiest N-S bus route in the west end. Not hitting Dundas West is unfortunate, but you're recreating the same effect with the Liberty Village hub.

Just an example. I thought Keele would have been best being that the DRL could go through the junction to Jane/Eglinton.

In the rail corridor, it would be on the edge of the Junction, and many would still have to take the Dundas bus to get to the subway in spite of having a new subway station in the neighbourhood. It would not serve the commercial core of the area on Dundas well. The best place for a station is at Keele and Dundas.

In the rail corridor, it would be on the edge of the Junction, and many would still have to take the Dundas bus to get to the subway in spite of having a new subway station in the neighbourhood. It would not serve the commercial core of the area on Dundas well. The best place for a station is at Keele and Dundas.

Dundas n Keele is like 500m away from the rail corridor and to serve it directly would require a very odd and expensive alignment (Parkside-Keele? Roncesvalles-Keele? Both very odd) for a pretty minor station.

I've actually never heard of this Keele idea, since when has it become a thing? If you're going to tunnel (you shouldn't...), why not Dufferin? Way busier corridor.

Another DRL article in the Star

http://www.thestar.com/news/ttc/201...ites_the_book_on_downtown_transit_relief.html

The high points:

- DRL west should follow rail corridor
- The Air Rail Link (Union-Person Express) success is questionable
- DRL east should extend north of Danforth to Eglinton
- DRL should go south of Queen and North of Front (Adelaide, King or Wellington)
- DRL should have connections to new GO stations

I was looking through his E-Book and he made this map, very gweed123.

17-1-1.png

P.S. I really doubt this is feasible. Reworking Union like he suggests would involve shutting it down for years and would surely billions of dollars. I get why it's a neat idea, but we're probably going to have to live with the roughly existing structure for some while.

Last edited:
Dundas n Keele is like 500m away from the rail corridor and to serve it directly would require a very odd and expensive alignment (Parkside-Keele? Roncesvalles-Keele? Both very odd) for a pretty minor station.

I've actually never heard of this Keele idea, since when has it become a thing? If you're going to tunnel (you shouldn't...), why not Dufferin? Way busier corridor.
Keele has been talked about, not nearly as frequently as dundas, but it has, it intersects keele and bloor too.

It wouldn't be a minor station since a lot of people live and do business in the area. Bringing it 500 metres west from the rail corridor would bring it within normal walking distance for most of the neighbourhood and the commercial centre which is on Dundas Street West between Keele and Pacific. Keele is a corridor that sees high bus ridership. The rail corridor may be cheaper, but we have to be realistic as to what exactly would be the most useful locations for subway stations.

It wouldn't be a minor station since a lot of people live and do business in the area.

It would be a minor station. 15k people live in the Junction. If every single one of them used the subway every single day it would be an ok ridership station.

I guess you're attached to the Junction given your username but it very clearly wouldn't be a super busy station on walkin ridership alone. The 500 meter walk between Dundas-Keele would deter at most a few hundred daily riders, which hardly justified the cost of diverting from the rail corridor.

Bringing it 500 metres west from the rail corridor would bring it within normal walking distance

Since when is 500m considered not normal walking distance? Very few people are this lazy.

Keele is a corridor that sees high bus ridership.

Not because of the junction. That bus runs up to Steeles and York. The 41E specifically skips over Dundas/Keele so I'm not sure how busy it could be. Keele riders from the north of the city could get dropped off at Mt. Dennis where they could interchange with a DRL and Crosstown. The 40 sees very low ridership as well, so I don't see why the intersection of Keele and Dundas deserves getting a few hundred million blown on it.

The Union-Pearson Express could evolve into the west leg of a Downtown-Relief-Line. Maybe not now, but when they find out the UP is not a money maker, it could end up having additional stations added to it, after it is electrified.

The Union-Pearson Express could evolve into the west leg of a Downtown-Relief-Line. Maybe not now, but when they find out the UP is not a money maker, it could end up having additional stations added to it, after it is electrified.

I agree. I think you work on the East leg first and wait to see how the Union-Pearson Express corridor can be used at a later time.

Back