Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

The best thing that Toronto could do IMMEDIATELY to improve transit in the city is to levy different taxes to raise an amount and send it directly to GO. In exchange for this extra funding, Torontonians would be able to take any GO trains within the city limits using their standard Metropass and that should include the UP Rail Link.

This would greatly reduce traffic on the subway lines and get Torontonians the rapid transit to further suburbs that desperately need an affordable and fast option to get across the city.

The TTC would first have to recognize that GO stations can be significant connection nodes in the network just like subway stations are. Far to many stations in the 416 are underserved or outright not served by TTC routes.

Far to many stations in the 416 are underserved or outright not served by TTC routes.

Really? Care to list them, because with the exception of the old Weston Station - which has since moved - I can't think of any that don't see TTC service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Edit: I tell a lie, there are a small handful - Milliken, York University, Old Cummer and and Oriole.

Last edited:
GO-TTC integration seems like a bit of a chicken-egg situation

How much ought the TTC serve a station like York University which is in the middle of nowhere and only sees two trains an hour during rush hour?

Why should GO serve the 416 when most people will find it cheaper and quicker to get on the subway?

Both of 'em have evolved over decades to ignore eachother's market to some extent. Outside of a total rethinking of how GO operates, it's hard picking specific things like lack of TTC service or fare integration.

Ultimately the only way to imagine integrated GO-TTC would be turning the former into a kind of S-Bahn/RER system.

There may be some that are underserved (not necessarily unserved), but there are plenty of other locations where a GO station would be great for a TTC-GO connection, but none exists, because GO is still prioritizing 905 travel.

Those that come to mind right away are Roncesvalles, Liberty Village, City Place, Distillery, and Gerrard Square. With GO REX operational, all of these stations would go a long way to performing some of the long-haul function of the DRL, and would all connect to pretty major transit lines.

There may be some that are underserved (not necessarily unserved), but there are plenty of other locations where a GO station would be great for a TTC-GO connection, but none exists, because GO is still prioritizing 905 travel.

Those that come to mind right away are Roncesvalles, Liberty Village, City Place, Distillery, and Gerrard Square. With GO REX operational, all of these stations would go a long way to performing some of the long-haul function of the DRL, and would all connect to pretty major transit lines.

The Leslie Subway Station on the Sheppard subway and the Oriole GO Station are a little more than 700 m apart. However, the Oriole station could have been moved north to connect with Leslie station easily, but still hasn't been.

Really? Care to list them, because with the exception of the old Weston Station - which has since moved - I can't think of any that don't see TTC service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Edit: I tell a lie, there are a small handful - Milliken, York University, Old Cummer and and Oriole.

Etobicoke North, Malton, Mimico

Etobicoke North, Malton, Mimico
Last time I took the train to Etobicoke North, it seemed to me there were more people going down the stairs from the station to catch the southbound 45, than there were changing to the GO Bus. And presumably some taking that new walkway to the northbound stop (though I didn't notice them, as I was too busy trying to figure out where the GO stop was). I haven't visited the other 2 stations ... but Malton is about 2 km into Mississauga, so I don't know why that would be a TTC issue.

The Leslie Subway Station on the Sheppard subway and the Oriole GO Station are a little more than 700 m apart. However, the Oriole station could have been moved north to connect with Leslie station easily, but still hasn't been.
They did however build that new walkway from the end of the GO platform to Esther Shiner Blvd, so the walking distance now from the platform to the door of the Leslie station is only 450 metres.

Last edited:
It would be such an easy thing to do and some of the stations could be moved closed closer to major TTC interchanges to make transfers easier but this could be done overtime.

The bus routes could be rejigged for better connection service which is always the case when subways are extended, that's no monumental challenge in the slightest. Ridership on GO would soar as the GO system would actually become useful for people in the city itself and those extra funds could be used to increase frequency, buy new trains, and electrify the system.

It's such an easy thing to do and it's a win-win for both the TTC and GO to say nothing of Torontonians.

Hasn't this ever been suggested?

That to me seems like the most obvious "close, but not quite" connection. The Danforth-Main connection is another one, but an underground connection there would be shorter than the connection between the two Spadina stations. It just hasn't happened yet.

Old Cummer is decently close to Finch, and has a walking path connecting to it, so that one isn't that bad.

It just seems obvious with a new premier we rethink whats going on with the ARL. That seems the easiest thing to convert and get going for the public the quickest. People would see a result of the new revenue tools and may be optimistic about the rest. It also would make the terminal at mount dennis for the Eglinton LRT make sense.
to0407_airport-link.jpg

Attachments

• to0407_airport-link.jpg
    to0407_airport-link.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 343
Last time I took the train to Etobicoke North, it seemed to me there were more people going down the stairs from the station to catch the southbound 45, than there were changing to the GO Bus. And presumably some taking that new walkway to the northbound stop (though I didn't notice them, as I was too busy trying to figure out where the GO stop was). I haven't visited the other 2 stations ... but Malton is about 2 km into Mississauga, so I don't know why that would be a TTC issue.

They did however build that new walkway from the end of the GO platform to Esther Shiner Blvd, so the walking distance now from the platform to the door of the Leslie station is only 450 metres.

Perhaps it's just an difference in time. When I've used Etobicoke North I have generally seen the majority of riders walking back to their parked cars not to a bus stop.

Perhaps it's just an difference in time. When I've used Etobicoke North I have generally seen the majority of riders walking back to their parked cars not to a bus stop.
Oh, don't get me wrong. The majority were heading for cars. I was surprised how many were heading down the stairs towards the TTC stop though - seemed more than those changing to the connecting GO Bus.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Huh, I didn't realize Milliken was considered underserved...it has the ttc running 53 bus fairly often when the station is in use (only morning and evening rush hour times since its got trains only, no buses)...also has a yrt bus that goes to milliken (presumably timed as such to make it for trains)

Monday, passengers had delay after delay on the Y-U-S line. With a separate DRL, it would have provided an alternative route for people to use, to bypass the problem. It may not have helped to who had a destination along the problem route, but it would have eased the crowding.

However, announcements would have to be properly formatted and used.

Back