Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

what is the final tally on this building 65 or 70 stories? i know it says 70 here but i've heard conflicting reports. sorry if i've already asked this (i believe i might have) but i walked by again this morning for the first time in a while and noticed some activity.

There is a very real chance that the economic concerns in Europe etc are having an affect on many of the new builds in our city. We weathered the last recession nicely but with all the turmoil in the financial community, there has to be some angst for bankers preparing to fund these huge projects right now.

Is it possible some of these projects may go on hold for a while?

Looks like they have closed the site, must be the accident with the shoring machine at York U.

Interesting catch. As you can see in one of the last photos of the 1BE site, the drill rig has "Anchor" written on the side --- Anchor Shoring is the same contractor that had been subbed by the Spanish firm to do the excavation at York U station. Makes sense that the entire firm is taking a breather for a bit rather than sending out the 1BE drilling crews the morning after like nothing had happened to their colleagues at the York site.

This project is already funded. They can't "unfund" it.
It's not like the banks cut the developer a cheque that they cash on groundbreaking day, fill a safe in the site office with bundles of 100s, and pay out the contractor week by week from it. The release of finances from creditors through all sorts of banking and contractual hoops can get really complicated, and projects getting "unfunded" well after they've been "funded" is quite possible in this climate. All that really changes with construction starting is that it makes progressively less and less financial sense to stop a project.

look what I found way back at the bottom of page 3. I guess with all the exciting active projects going on this one fell through the cracks.

Imagine...we have so many cool projects on the go that a massive 70 storey project slips our minds.

Whodathunkit five years ago?

Does anyone have any recent photos?

This is from the 17th. I'd guess they were 90% done planting steel.

1bo17.jpg

It's becoming apparent steel doesn't grow very fast at Yonge & Bloor. There is enough fertilizer around there, so that can't be the problem.

^ Somewhat reminiscent of the weeds that grew quite large at the "Metropolis" building at Dundas Square. I'm confident that this will turn out a lot better though.

Hopefully it will help bring some activity to the area after 8pm once it's built and occupied.

I'm not exactly in the Yorkville scene, but there is surely activity here after 8pm. True, not on Bloor as such, since there aren't many restaurants - only retail shopping that dies down. However, stroll over to Yorkville, or the Church area, and there is plenty going on.

I think that this building is just a symbol for the new Bloor/Yonge - there are at least 17 proposals in the vicinity right now(North of Church, West of Jarvis, South of Davenport, East of Avenue/University)! Along with the Entertainment district, this is the densest cluster of new condos in the city - the people will follow.

I think one shouldn't expect taller towers to automatically rejuvenate the strips immediately around them. I mean, if you look it empirically - just how much did Uptown, CrystalBlu, 18 Yorkville did for the retail within the area? Or on that matter, Murano and RoCP for Bay?

AoD

Last edited:

Back