Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I get annoyed by these "its good, but not good enough" comments. How many people or efforts could satisfy these demands? Its like these people complaining Bosh 'is good' but not as good as LeBron, whereas they should be conerned about the other 10 guys.

This is a very good project, since it goes without saying 'it could be better', why bother saying it?

Also, Im nor sure JBM is calling for a theatre complex. Just another floor of retail to give it critical mass. There's a similar mini-mall on North Michigan Avenue that does very well.

Dont want to get ahead of things; but its interesting to start contemplating whatever will replace Stolleries across the street - hopefully that banal street level facade will not have to be retained. Anyway, for another day.

Here's a link to an article about One Bloor on World Architecture News with the same images we've already seen. At least I think we've seen them all.

Link

I get annoyed by these "its good, but not good enough" comments. How many people or efforts could satisfy these demands? Its like these people complaining Bosh 'is good' but not as good as LeBron, whereas they should be conerned about the other 10 guys.

This is a very good project, since it goes without saying 'it could be better', why bother saying it?

Also, Im nor sure JBM is calling for a theatre complex. Just another floor of retail to give it critical mass. There's a similar mini-mall on North Michigan Avenue that does very well.

Why get annoyed. The fact is that the current proposal is nothing like the previous Bazis proposal. GG's version is average at best. For this location, something spectacular should be proposed. It's a decent proposal for another location, but at Yonge & Bloor, something extra ordinary should be built. This proposal is anything but extra ordinary. The design is simply a box. GG could have gone for a set back design, but instead elected for a boxy flat roofed structure.

Not really sure what he is saying...

Extra ordinary would mean REALLY REALLY ordinary. The real word is extraordinary pronounced ex-TRORD-inary not extra-ordinary.

Anyway... I would agree that a hotel or theater complex would have made this plan a little better.

Why get annoyed. The fact is that the current proposal is nothing like the previous Bazis proposal. GG's version is average at best. For this location, something spectacular should be proposed. It's a decent proposal for another location, but at Yonge & Bloor, something extra ordinary should be built. This proposal is anything but extra ordinary. The design is simply a box. GG could have gone for a set back design, but instead elected for a boxy flat roofed structure.

"Something spectacular" how tiresome. Providing everyone is willing to pay for it, fine, but spectacular designs come at a cost and frequently get trashed anyway when practical difficulties arise, like the ROM crystal.

"GG could have gone for a set back design, but instead elected for a boxy flat roofed structure" - so are setbacks the be all and end all? I think the set-backs of 10 Bellair are hideous. And your quote ignores the balconies which are very interesting.

Come on, this design isn't the greatest. Other projects of similar stauture have much better designs, eg Trump, Ice, & Aura. The current version is just another glorified box. Furthermore, I think the current design if it gets built is wasted opportunity. This site deserves something better and atleast an 800 footer, something which would really stand out in Yorkville. The Bazis proposal was a much better design. It had a larger podium, retail space, acthitecturally more stunning, and had decent height (953 feet).

Come on, this design isn't the greatest. Other projects of similar stauture have much better designs, eg Trump, Ice, & Aura. The current version is just another glorified box. Furthermore, I think the current design if it gets built is wasted opportunity. This site deserves something better and atleast an 800 footer, something which would really stand out in Yorkville. The Bazis proposal was a much better design. It had a larger podium, retail space, acthitecturally more stunning, and had decent height (953 feet).

Bazis' design was probably a little more original and it was certainly taller... Initially, when i saw the design of this proposal i hated it... it seemed like a downgrade from the last proposal due to its height and lack of hotel. However, i did notice GG's new proposal has a much more interesting podium, amenities, and fits better with the other skyscrapers in the area...

The new 1 Bloor clearly resembles Aqua in chicago... (just shorter and with better cladding...)

Everyone's always gonna say "the site deserved something better" but unless i see an actual depiction of what could have gone there, its up in the air... There's only 1, 1 Bloor so i guess we're stuck with this :p

... This site deserves something better and atleast an 800 footer, something which would really stand out in Yorkville. The Bazis proposal was a much better design. It had a larger podium, retail space, acthitecturally more stunning, and had decent height (953 feet).

From a distance Yorkville will stand out just fine in a few years. We are gaining height in increments. Though a 1000 footer would be nice, it would stand out like a sore thumb until other tall stuff gets built. This way, we'll have the other tall stuff in place when that illusive supertall does get built. Personally I'm hoping for something at 1 Bloor West someday!

Anyway... Here's a quick future glimpse I did a couple of weeks ago for the folks at SSC. It shows how the skyline will balance out nicely in the near future.

I included, from left to right...
Success II, L-Tower, ICE II, 16 York, Trump Tower, FCP re-clad, Ritz-Carlton, Shangri-la, Bell Lightbox/Festival, Aura, Burano, X2, Couture, U-Condo, One Bloor and Four Seasons... Phew! I think that's all I did.

Enjoy!
4498660746_fe1775175a_o.jpg

4459775855_5cce567e5d_o.jpg

(Original courtesy jaycola on UrbanToronto http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.ph...skyline/page11 )

Trader,
Aqua and Ice are just glorified step-backed, and glorified cylinders respectively IMO. I will acknowledge 1BE is a glorified box. That said, I prefer glorified or non-glorified.

Personally I think I like the new One Bloor over the old one. I wouldn't have minded the old one, but I think this one is more unique (even though it is Aqua-esque).

Back