Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

I love the silver spiral staircase dangling from the blue titanium back of the AGO. What's not to like about that? I know this has strayed off topic, but just wondering...

Yes, really. Outdoor staircases are a reputed feature on many art galleries. The ones on the AGO are magnificent.

I love the silver spiral staircase dangling from the blue titanium back of the AGO. What's not to like about that? I know this has strayed off topic, but just wondering...

I believe the above statement IS your answer.

Which was typical of Toronto thinking a couple of decades ago and I thought we were well passed.

The little brother mentality of copying everything big brothers do, just for approval.

"If other galleries in other cities have them, then so should we... then they'll take us seriously!"

PULEEEASE!

Can't Toronto just "be" a world-class city without emulating other ones?

I believe the above statement IS your answer.

Which was typical of Toronto thinking a couple of decades ago and I thought we were well passed.

The little brother mentality of copying everything big brothers do, just for approval.

"If other galleries in other cities have them, then so should we... then they'll take us seriously!"

PULEEEASE!

Can't Toronto just "be" a world-class city without emulating other ones?

It's not an emulation. Not one bit. Following a popular motif for art galleries does not discredit the originality throughout the rest of the design. Gehry even expanded on it by building exotic staircases throughout the building's interior as well.

The AGO has been transformed from a nice looking building to one that also sets the tone for the wide expanse of downtown's west end, and the city as a whole. Frankly, I believe that this is an even more well-thought through building than Bilbao, for many reasons.

Back to Number One Bloor...

If we are to emulate anyone, let's have one of these at Yonge and Bloor. If it's good enough for Vegas, then Toronto should have one too!

(Courtesy my bad Photoshp skills)

Attachments

• One Bloor Screen Cap 002bb.jpg
    One Bloor Screen Cap 002bb.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 293
At the rate things are going down south, we may be able to buy the original and get it shipped up here free of charge.

Back to Number One Bloor...

If we are to emulate anyone, let's have one of these at Yonge and Bloor. If it's good enough for Vegas, then Toronto should have one too!

(Courtesy my bad Photoshp skills)

Make that the Chrysler Building and you've got a deal.

Make that the Chrysler Building and you've got a deal.

Here you go Torontovibe. These are tough when you have to match angles and stuff. Given more time I could come up with something better.

It looks good on that corner, however! LOL

Attachments

• One Bloor Screen Cap 005c.jpg
    One Bloor Screen Cap 005c.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 267
Great photoshop job... but that building is way too classy for Yonge and Bloor. It's almost an insult to it to place it there.

I know there were lots of issues with Bazis' design... but I do think it would have fit in pretty well with its surroundings.

I'm curious (worried?) about what GG will come up with.

Back