One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Member Bio
Reaction score
With the Bay upping their game

The Bay at Yonge-Bloor is simply a depressing place. It is a long-dead relic of a bygone era. It has no “game” to up. The hideous sarcophagus in which it is entombed needs to be demolished and carted off unceremoniously to the Leslie Spit. Would be a huge win for the area and for the city. Hopefully it will happen soon.

(and no offence meant to you Zang...you are right about the composition of the neighbourhood...just tired of the Bay dominating almost the entire block. Could be so much better.)

Last edited:

MrSocky

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wouldn't call myself an expert but I've taken a class and have read a couple books on trees. The general idea is that when trees are dormant it's less trematic for them to be transplanted. So anytime while they don't have leaves. Winter doesn't work because it's hard to dig--so fall or spring.
Trees are absolutely fascinating. If anyone wants to learn more I'd recommend this book:
The hidden life of Trees
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDM3462468&R=3462468

After reading this I'm surprised how many trees survive in the city. Especially surrounding by concrete and with so little of the resources that allow them to thrive. Not to mention salt, acidic dog urine, bark damage, and the direct sun and heat.

I work at a commercial tree nursery, and I can confirm you hit the nail on the head with that one. You understand how trees function better than 99% of the people I talk to, so I wouldn't stop short of calling you an expert!

Last edited:

zang

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Bay at Yonge-Bloor is simply a depressing place. It is a long-dead relic of a bygone era. It has no “game” to up. The hideous sarcophagus in which it is entombed needs to be demolished and carted off unceremoniously to the Leslie Spit. Would be a huge win for the area and for the city. Hopefully it will happen soon.

(and no offence meant to you Zang...you are right about the composition of the neighbourhood...just tired of the Bay dominating almost the entire block. Could be so much better.)

None taken. I've said before in other threads that I'm confused why this Bay in particular has been so neglected (though, the "ground floor" has vastly improved over the past year), while other less prominent stores are getting a whole makeover. This is why I said the Bay is upping their game; and unless they're planning on selling the property, this building *will* eventually get the full, more high-end makeover that others have received. I'm just mystified as to why the neglect when it's attached to the tallest building with their name on it. I also think this location in particular would benefit greatly from a food hall similar to the Eaton Centre location.

It certainly is an eyesore. But demolition isn't particularly necessary; assuming it's structurally viable, I think the building would seem less offensive if the south-side facade were ripped off and replaced with glass. A better set of entrances would benefit as well.

enrigue8

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello everyone ! I did something really funny with those 3 photos.
I imagined that Great Gulf gave a twin to 1 Bloor East . I always wondered how it would look like .
In the scenario,the twin measure the same size that the One.
Tell me what do you think of that .
Enjoy it and please like it.

2 Photos of steveve
steveve10.jpg

steveve12.jpg

Photo of am29

am29c.jpeg

Attachments

• sommid tower f1.jpg
    sommid tower f1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 228
  • am29c.jpeg