IMG_2808.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,591
  • IMG_2809.JPG
    IMG_2809.JPG
    922.5 KB · Views: 1,597
  • IMG_2810.JPG
    IMG_2810.JPG
    672.6 KB · Views: 1,551
That image would be great for Throwback Thursday.
If someone can replicate that exact angle and post it in this thread before Wednesday night (December 7th), they will indeed be featured in TBT! If anyone does so, please tag me or @interchange42 in the post to get our attention!

The scene looks more urban in the old photo with all those old and densely built-up buildings and all the pedestrians and signs everywhere. It was somewhat dark and gritty, but full of vitality. It looks like a random streetscape in NYC and quite interesting.

The present shot looks more monolithic and sterile. Yonge and Bloor, however, is bound to be a grander intersection once this project and The One are completed. Rather than being just a random urban streetscape, it will be distinguished by spectacular landmarks and renewed vitality with many new businesses and wider sidewalks.

Here you go. :p:rolleyes:
Photo: Google Maps
@MetroMan

You have to go to the intersection physically to photograph it. Google Street View leaves ugly processing artifacts.

If you want to know what is expected of UT's Throwback Thursday feature, you should take a look at past entries here: Throwback Thursday

Doesn't count! Try again!

Ok... ok... Here you go.

2nPCFz2.jpg

Walked 11K from King West with my dog to get there :oops:

tTqAu8j.png

By the way, I noticed that from street level, the 1 Bloor East podium blends in well with the tower. It doesn't look like it from the bird's eye view shots but there's some synchrony between the podium and the tower. For example, you'll notice how there are curves on the podium glass that matches the balconies above. Those balconies also get progressively aligned with the sidewalk from top to bottom, eventually evening out with the podium itself.

I think that the overall success of this podium will rely on which retail tenant occupies it and how that retailer chooses to interact with the street.

Psst... If you need the original image by itself, it's here.

Last edited:

Back