Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Wow, that laneway looked great, it's a real shame that it's gone. Toronto would benefit from more areas like that: narrow, pedestrian only areas with outdoor seating and small retail/restaurants.

One Bloor replaced this grouping of buildings:

But also more interestingly enough, a small experiment in laneway reuse:

644562042_137b0702e2_o.jpg

In this case, I think the tradeoffs are good enough, unlike the Mirvish-Gehry project which will replace much large buildings and is highly, highly susceptible to the Cheapening effect.

I wish Liberty Village had been designed with intimate, animated laneways like this. Sure the buildings were ugly but that laneway was a good use of space. We need more public spaces like this all around the city.

I wish Liberty Village had been designed with intimate, animated laneways like this. Sure the buildings were ugly but that laneway was a good use of space. We need more public spaces like this all around the city.

Yeah, east Liberty Village is a wash, but west Liberty Village may still have some hope from Atlantic Ave. to Dufferin St.....lets hope so

Doesn't liberty Village have a laneway just like the one pictured above ... ; ) ...

So they still haven't finished pouring the entire 3rd floor, but the South East corner has an interesting concrete box on it. Don't know if that's the final height of that corner. It's the only part of the building with a roof.

IMG_8329.JPG

That's the limit of that corner of the building - it's mechanical rooms.

There's some equipment going on the roof of it - see the concrete curb rectangle and it will be have a metal screen around it

It's strange, on the Southwest corner they've got the columns built up towards the 5th floor. On the Northeast corner theire still haven't fully poured the 3rd floor.

It's strange, on the Southwest corner they've got the columns built up towards the 5th floor. On the Northeast corner theire still haven't fully poured the 3rd floor.

Doing this usually lets them get ahead since the floor plate is fairly large and it is broken down into multiple pours, helps with cycling as well so they are not always waiting for the concrete to cure, they can pour one area, have another area curing, and another area stripping and flying out panels to the next floor.

Back