Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Uptown north of Lawrence? Feh. Ridiculous. That's North Toronto, Lawrence Park, etc.

It's only people on internet sites that use these terms. People in the real world use real neighbourhood names or street intersections to define a part of the city. Nobody can even agree where the hell midtown should be. (Bloor, St.Clair, Eglinton?) Hell, we can't even agree on what the downtown core consists of.

I say 1 Bloor East is Downtown!

Last edited:
I was born in Toronto, just over 50 years ago and when I was growing up, nobody called Yonge & Eglinton, Midtown, or Yonge and Bloor, midtown.

I've only been living here 7 years, and almost everyone I know is also a recent immigrant. It seems the parlance is different for some recent arrivals.

Back to One Bloor... is there an update on the sloping roof situation? I read somewhere a while back it had been redesigned to be flat?

Uptown north of Lawrence? Feh. Ridiculous. That's North Toronto, Lawrence Park, etc.

North Toronto extends south to Davisville, and Lawrence Park is actually entirely south of Lawrence for what it's worth. The only time you see the word "uptown" up there is on those "Uptown Yonge" signs north of Lawrence, or (funnily enough) on the "Uptown" location of Mars Diner... at Eglinton. The condo gets a pass because it's named after the old theatre.

... and just to confuse things even more, Reds go and name their latest downtown restaurant Reds Midtown!

The reason why the Uptown theatre was called Uptown theatre was because in the 20's when it was built, downtown hardly went north of Queen Street. Today obviously Yonge and Bloor area is called downtown because of growth from those times. Midtown starts from St Clair and goes North to after York Mills before the 401.Then u hit former North York which is tecnically Uptown Toronto.

I'm with Torontovibe on this, have lived here my entire life and there was only ever "downtown", everywhere else is called by either a neighbourhood name (Parkdale, Yorkville, Agincourt, etc) or intersection, "Uptown" was a theatre not a district, "Midtown" didn't exist.
Only since reading internet sites like this one, or seeing recent condo marketing campaigns have the other (meaningless) terms become more prevalent.

Wasn't there a thread on the downtown/uptown/midtown debate at one point? I agree that Yonge/Bloor is our Uptown, but because that area has always had a more commonly used name (i.e.; Yorkville) the Uptown designation has never stuck.

In the grand scheme of Toronto, south of Bloor is all downtown Toronto.

From a downtowners perspective, Bloor would be uptown, Gerrard would be midtown, and Front would be downtown.

In the grand scheme of Toronto, south of Bloor is all downtown Toronto.

From a downtowners perspective, Bloor would be uptown, Gerrard would be midtown, and Front would be downtown.

As a downtown elitist, I respectfully disagree :cool:

I've roughly considered downtown to be south of Bloor, east of Bathurst, west of Don River and north of Lake Ontario.

Back