Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

It's true. Then one floor per week x 75 weeks = awesome sauce! Topped out in 1.442 years from now :p Okay, sorry about that. This isn't the Southcore Delta :p Just got a bit excited there to see it rise.

The first 10 or so floors are podium and irregular which will take more time, but once they hit the tower portion and get a few floors under their belt it'll start moving.

1bm16.jpg

I recall that during the Bazis days there being some discussion about saving the facade of a heritage building that stood on this site, as pictured by dt_toronto_geek below:

PICT1780.jpg

Anyone know whatever happened with that?

I think it was specifically that window and stone framing. Some people asked Bazis if they could save it, they said sure and I believe it was dismantled and put in storage. The whole idea probably died when Bazis lost the property.

I think it was specifically that window and stone framing. Some people asked Bazis if they could save it, they said sure and I believe it was dismantled and put in storage. The whole idea probably died when Bazis lost the property.

So presumably the stone window frame is sitting in a box somewhere, waiting to be thrown out?

Some Good News on Window Rescue - 719 Yonge Street

Catherine Nasmith

We have only a few days to accomplish the rescue of the window and its stone surround from 719 Yonge Street, but the key things are in place to do it. John Wilcox has offered to advise and assist with removing the glass and the window frame on a volunteer basis.

In response to the request for information, Steve Russell of the Toronto ACO branch wrote as follows-"The Yonge St. bldg is a Gouinlock I believe. Can't remember where I read it. I've never had reason to doubt it though. Looks exactly like a Gouinlock." Can anyone else confirm Steve's recollection?

There has been a lot of interest in helping, with several members of the public offering donations as large as $1000.00. Until a location could be found it did not make sense to accept monies, but the ACO will be setting up a fund to assist with costs of putting the window into its final location.

The owner of the property, Michael Gold of Baziz has agreed to pay the costs of the relocation of the window and the Toronto Brickworks project has agreed to store it, until a final home can be found. Architect Joe Lobko, one of the members of the large consulting team working on the Brickworks project, advised that the team had considered options for re-use in the project but at this time were not certain it could fit into their plans, nonetheless they are willing to store it to buy some time at least.

It may not be possible to save the stone surround. Three different masons have offered to advise and assist, Gus Butterfield, Leigh Bamford and Kevin Carter are willing, but note that the need to erect scaffolding over Yonge Street, and get some kind of hoist or crane into position to get those very large stones out make it highly unlikely that it can be done in the time available.

At a meeting between representatives of the Brickworks and the developer's staff tomorrow the details of what will happen, and how much can be saved will be worked out.

CBC TV is watching this so stay tuned to the local news.

It was a fine building, there were two keepers around on Hayden Street too which were demolished.

Wow, One Bloor has been excavating/under construction for so long that I almost completely forgot what stood there before. That's quite the throwback moment. Really brings back the days of walking out of Bloor station into Roy's Square and where downtown Harvey's didn't only mean going to the Hooker's location.

Back