Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

The Imperial Oil Building? But that might not count because it was intended for commercial use when it was built. I can think of some low- and mid- rise examples, but I'm scratching my head trying to think of a high-rise example. Maybe Palace Pier? I'm almost positive that's curtainwall on that tower, it might have gone with steel framing too. I can't find any construction pictures of it, maybe someone remembers it going up?

It's the portions of the facades that don't have balconies which will be curtain wall.

Im getting the feeling this may look odd with only the flat areas being curtain wall.
choppy framing when viewed strait on.

If this building will truly be built using steel (which I still doubt), won't we have two such buildings going up at the same time? I'm obviously assuming that BAC II will also be built using steel.

The Imperial Oil Building? But that might not count because it was intended for commercial use when it was built. I can think of some low- and mid- rise examples, but I'm scratching my head trying to think of a high-rise example. Maybe Palace Pier? I'm almost positive that's curtainwall on that tower, it might have gone with steel framing too. I can't find any construction pictures of it, maybe someone remembers it going up?

Looks like Palace Pier is poured concrete, from this image I was able to find: link. And yeah, I wouldn't really count Imperial Oil since it was built as an office building, but I suppose it counts on technicality since it's being converted to condo use.

There are a couple towers that have had steel extensions put on, but again not new residential construction in the sense of from-the-ground-up. Like 155 Cumberland, for example. If there are other examples it would make for an interesting trivia question!

I saw a photo of a residential lowrise here a few weeks ago being constructed with steel frame & poured concrete, I went looking for it but can't find it now. Some apartment buildings in Toronto from the 50's & 60's (likely earlier too) have steel frames. Is there any point to building residential with steel frame anymore? Does anyone know the advantages of using steel frame vs. concrete & rebar?
I remember Casa & a couple of other buildings mentioning steel frame but it never came to pass.

The building will be built using mild steel frame and according to the developer its a "full" curtain wall.

It's definitely window wall behind the balconies… of course. Not only would it be wasted expense to hide curtain wall behind balconies, but curtain wall can't even be attached behind the slab face; it sits outside it… unless there's an exception that I'm unaware of.

April 26, 2013.

Getting closer to grade!

What are those two super-reinforced zones? Why so much rebar right there?

IMG_2340.JPG

Cue cries from anti-condo people, "They're building it too fast!"

wow! Are you in need of a psychiatric assessment? Cause it sure looks that way.
I am not anti-condo, nor I was complaining. I was just stating how impressed I am with the speed of the construction. You really need some help.

Back