Toronto NXT & NXT2 Condominiums | ?m | 35s | Cresford | a—A

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
The difference is that Chicago already has the architecture reputation. They really don't need to prove anything and can afford a few duds. We don't have the reputation, we should be trying a little harder. I think my point is that, reputation or no, most buildings in most places in most times are what are often called "duds", and comparing ordinary projects in one town with extraordinary projects in another is distorting.

Toronto istrying harder. You've been around long enough to know that. I think we can do that without external reference to other cities supposed wonders.

I agree Toronto's come a hell of a long way in the last 10 years, I think your comprehensive development thread shows it. I think the vast majority of projects in the city are adequate to excellent. The suburbs are still mostly junk but then again I don't really care about that.

There's still a lot of room for improvement though. I'd like to see some sort of mechanism in place to prevent things like Torch, the wall of corrugation on Toronto Life Square, the cladding problems on the ROM, and the dependence on repetitive box designs for our towers. I'd also like to see more emphasis on context so that new projects seamlessly fit into established neighbourhoods. I'd like to see Toronto develop the reputation as a city that takes architecture, public spaces, and general aesthetics seriously.

I couldn't agree more.

But I still find "gee look what I found on the web" comparisons irritating.

The suburbs are still mostly junk but then again I don't really care about that.

I'd like to see Toronto develop the reputation as a city that takes architecture, public spaces, and general aesthetics seriously.

Overall, we need to start changing 1 if we hope to achieve 2. Like it or not, the vast majority of Toronto is suburban, in population, surface area, built form, etc. Downtown is seeing a wonderful renaissance, and I think we need to start developing a more metropolitan outlook, and understand that we are living in a huge city of millions, which needs a serious re-thinking in terms of architecture, infrastructure, built form, and everything else.

Ignoring everything north of Bloor (or Eglinton, or whatever arbitrary elitist divide) is what is keeping our city provincial and parochial. Toronto is a huge metropolis, but it won't truly grow up until it starts acting like one.

from the latest Condo Guide (Mar 3-17)..."NXT now under construction, NXT2 coming soon!"

ha ha! glad someone finally updated this thread. I see it everytime I drive into town. They seemed to have about a dozen on those pile drivers or whatever they are on site... looked truly bizarre. Looks like a decent development and as the higher you are the less noise pollution I'm sure.

Tonight, passing by I saw...

...that Windermere phase one condo looked damned good in the evening sky! Here's a few shots, windermere shimmering with nxt equipment on site.

DSC06933.jpg
DSC06932.jpg

I think the Windermere might be one of the more underrated condo towers of the recent boom. It really turned out well.

digging the music on their website... fantastic views of High Park and along the lakeshore towards downtown. I too think the first tower has turned out quite nicely... similar style in store for future phases.

^Too bad they put those ridiculous townhomes at the bottom. Some modern townhomes in keeping with the tower design would've made the complex a real winner.

Back