Toronto NXT & NXT2 Condominiums | ?m | 35s | Cresford | a—A

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
Feb 19th

IMG_4685_zps78e95477.jpg

I spotted a new piece of public art from the Gardiner, so pulled off and headed into the NXT compound for a closer look. Only had my phone with me, so the shots are not great… but they are also not great because this has got to be the most awkwardly placed piece of public art ever.

Anyone know anything about it? My googling around has turned up nothing.

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

BTW, I've uploaded these with UT's new improved direct uploading capabilities. Check out the new options under the Insert Image button, third from the right when you create a new post.

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 706
What's the rule with public art? Are developers required to do this for all projects? Does it only apply to Toronto proper or does it depend on the location?

I live in NXT 1 and was surprised by the installation. The sculpture is definitely in an awkward spot and is rather difficult to enjoy as it sits behind a concrete barrier.

In my opinion, Cresford has done a decent job with NXT 1 & 2 and I'm looking forward to project completion.

SixPoints, you can read the rules about the City of Toronto's Percent for Public Art Program here. Page 15 of the first link PDF on that page spells out the details of how it comes about, but you can mostly boil it down to every new building larger than 10,000 square metres is required to set aside one percent of the budget for public art.

I'm just having a hard time believing that City Council approved a Public Art Plan that placed the piece where it could "best" been seen by people speeding past it at 100 km/h in cars and trains. Best is in quotes above because that's not the way to see it. Essentially you can see that it's there, but that's about it.

Anyway, Youranthony1: if you receive a newsletter from Cresford telling you something about this piece, please pass on the info!

Last edited:
SixPoints, you can read the rules about the City of Toronto's Percent for Public Art Program here. Page 15 of the first link PDF on that page spells out the details of how it comes about, but you can mostly boil it down to every new building larger than 10,000 square metres is required to set aside one percent of the budget for public art.

I'm just having a hard time believing that City Council approved a Public Art Plan that placed the piece where it could "best" been seen by people speeding past it at 100 km/h in cars and trains. Best is in quotes above because that's not the way to see it. Essentially you can see that it's there, but that's about it.

Anyway, Youranthony1: if you receive a newsletter from Cresford telling you something about this piece, please pass on the info!

8570209516_3811ef8f4f_b.jpg

8569102821_7946f184b1_b.jpg

8569110281_fb46e451a6_b.jpg

8570206164_f29131ea8c_b.jpg

Talk about awkwardly placed public art. Apart from NXT residents, the only ones able to enjoy it will be commuters stuck in traffic on the Gardiner.

The south curtain wall is incredible on these towers. It has no cheap colour tinge, and a there's a beautiful arrangement of mullions on the wings of the towers. The south facades look amazing from the waterfront.

Back