62     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 544     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 352     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
I've got three things to say about Starbucks/chains.

1) I can't stand their coffee. If one isn't overly artisanal or fussy, most of the time, you would say coffee is simple enough it can't be screwed up. Starbucks manages that.

2)Their treats/baked goods aren't that good and they are over priced for what they are.

3)I don't know why we even allow endlessly large chains, if one is a free market capitalist, never mind an appeciator of variety in life, allowing any one chain to dominate, as Starbucks does, does not serve society's best interest.
Whether we cap market share, or set a saturation limit (no more than 'x' stores per 100km2) I'm for more variety. Especially so if Starbucks is what we are diversifying from.

1) I can't stand their coffee. If one isn't overly artisanal or fussy, most of the time, you would say coffee is simple enough it can't be screwed up. Starbucks manages that.

2)Their treats/baked goods aren't that good and they are over priced for what they are.

3)I don't know why we even allow endlessly large chains, if one is a free market capitalist, never mind an appeciator of variety in life, allowing any one chain to dominate, as Starbucks does, does not serve society's best interest.
Whether we cap market share, or set a saturation limit (no more than 'x' stores per 100km2) I'm for more variety. Especially so if Starbucks is what we are diversifying from.

(1) I agree with this in respect of espresso-based drinks. But Starbucks does brewed coffee fine. I actually prefer Starbucks brew to some independents. But Starbucks latte - yuck.

(2) Yes, yes, yes. And, oddly, their baked goods (and sandwiches) used to be better.

(3) Never going to happen. But keep in mind, giants are meant to fall.

1) Yep. I find some of their blends way too acidic. I think it's the Cafe Verona blend i like the best. I don't mind the coffee fraps. I only order those during the summer months.

2) Yes awful. The baked good are usually stale, i think they have them in the display case just for show! I got a turkey sandwich last year, the bread was so dry i had to throw it out. It was like eating croutons.

Oh boy do i hate the slow moving line ups at some Starbucks! Starbucks needs two separate lines, a line for people that want coffee, and a line for people that order the most complicated thing on earth. ( Can i get a venti, half-whole milk, one quarter 1%, one quarter non-fat, extra hot, split quad shots (1 1/2 shots decaf, 2 1/2 shots regular), no foam latte, with whip, 2 packets of splenda, 1 sugar in the raw, a touch of vanilla syrup and 3 short sprinkles of cinnamon) :rolleyes:

What about Mast Coffee at Shuter and Dalhousie. Have you tried it? I haven't been in yet, but have wondered when passing it by. Presumably the closure of the Starbucks will be a boon to nearby Mast.

I'll try them sometime.

I'm not really trying to standing up for the corporate chain over independents, but I just want a consistent, decent if not great, brewed coffee, ready. Starbucks does that for me, where independents are hit and miss for regular coffee and they can be really slow, with really inconsistent service.

Oh boy do i hate the slow moving line ups at some Starbucks! Starbucks needs two separate lines, a line for people that want coffee, and a line for people that order the most complicated thing on earth. ( Can i get a venti, half-whole milk, one quarter 1%, one quarter non-fat, extra hot, split quad shots (1 1/2 shots decaf, 2 1/2 shots regular), no foam latte, with whip, 2 packets of splenda, 1 sugar in the raw, a touch of vanilla syrup and 3 short sprinkles of cinnamon) :rolleyes:

My biggest complaint are the seat-hoggers. If I go into a Starbucks, want to sit down, sip a coffee for 10-15 minutes and maybe check emails/social media. But there's nowhere to sit because every table is occupied by someone with their laptop, many of whom have finished their beverage or food a long time ago, and some who didn't even order anything. I know they're trying for a laid-back atmosphere where you're welcome to linger, but there should be a reasonable limit to that.

Don't think its been mentioned here............per Blog TO, that Parkdale establishment, Gloryhole Doughnuts is opening an east end outpost in the Little India area of Gerrard.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2018/09/glory-hole-doughnuts-gerrard-east-toronto/

It joins Kensington Market's Sanagan's Meat Locker in moving to that same strip.

Neither are particularly South Asian.......but they are both good businesses. Quite the broad-based foodie strip evolving there w/craft brewer Godspeed fronting Coxwell by Gerrard as well.

Little India, meet gentrification.

Mast is solid. Let's reduce our dependence on chains.

I agree, however, I have found tea (I almost always drink tea, not coffee) is weak at most independents. Like, really, really, weak....can I have my 3.75$ back, please?

Starbucks, however, has the dankest English Breakfast tea. Super bitter. Proper. I have yet to find an equivalent anywhere.

This idea has been beat to death in the last year in the pages of The Economist. Concentration in any industry is anti-free market. Then again, so is imposition of arbitrary limits on business.

I think finding a middle path might take some sort of five day thinking session. I couldn't even begin to try imagining a fair proposition.

Oh no, you're sounding like @Towered ;)

I agree, however, I have found tea (I almost always drink tea, not coffee) is weak at most independents. Like, really, really, weak....can I have my 3.75$ back, please?

Starbucks, however, has the dankest English Breakfast tea. Super bitter. Proper. I have yet to find an equivalent anywhere.
Yeah, I drink tea, not coffee. And I drink tea, not herbal infusions (don’t get me started). Starbucks is my go-to when I’m out and about, although I had some decent tea once at a little place on Sherbourne south of Richmond.

Yeah, I drink tea, not coffee. And I drink tea, not herbal infusions (don’t get me started).

Hahaaaaa....don't get me started. Speaking of which: I drink tea, not milk and sugar (don't get me started either). ;)

Starbucks is my go-to when I’m out and about, although I had some decent tea once at a little place on Sherbourne south of Richmond.

Ok, gotta check that the next time I'm on the east side. I'd really love to frequent independents more but they really need to step up their tea game or it's Starbucks for me.

Actually, @PinkLucy do you remember the name? In case it's not there anymore the next time I make it down that way and I'm not stuck walking around looking for a thing that was.

Estée Lauder sues founder of Toronto-based skin care company Deciem following his sudden closure of business

By HENRY STANCU Business Reporter
Thu., Oct. 11, 2018

Estée Lauder, owner of 28 per cent of Toronto-based Deciem skin care firm, filed a lawsuit against its founder Brandon Truaxe in Toronto Thursday morning, applying to prevent him having further involvement with the company.

In its court filings, the cosmetics giant sought to prevent Truaxe from having contact with the company, its activities and assets, and to have him replaced as Deciem’s head by co-CEO Nicola Kilner.

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...following-his-sudden-closure-of-business.html

Back