157     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 296     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 413     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Any idea what retail spaces will occupy the new condo opening on the south east corner of Bloor and Yonge?

Nothing has been announced as yet, but I'm sure they are working on some great retailers. Apple's name has bounced around to anchor the corner.

I think it's been closed a month or two now, but I must say that I was very surprised to see the Queen West location of Style Exchange already closed! They had put a lot of work into that store it was open only a year maybe.

I don't think it was open even a year! I went there recently and was confused! Way too close to their Eaton Centre location to really do well I'd think.

On Church St. just north of Queen St., the toy store closed a few months ago. Now one of the pawn shops is closing. Talk about a block that needs to see some gentrification!

What floor will Equinox be on? It says 199 Bay which is the west tower. The map link says on the path level but the link doesn't work for me. I can't think of any vacancies on the path level large enough for a health club.

Consumers Distributing planning big comeback in Niagara Falls
By Dan Dakin, Niagara Falls Review
Friday, July 20, 2012 4:46:17 EDT PM

A once well-known Canadian brand that had a popular store in Niagara Falls is planning to make a big comeback.
Consumers Distributing had a store in the Niagara Falls Plaza at the corner of Morrison St. and Dorchester Rd. for years before the company went bankrupt in 1996.
A Canadian businessman took over the name six years ago and, after recently being sold to private investors, the brand is set to relaunch this fall with 80 stores across the country.
“We think Niagara Falls is a diamond in the rough,” said Michael Ahad, who works in the company's media relations department. “We know it's a tourist town, but there are a lot of business people and blue collar workers down there. We're really eyeing it.”
The company's new Canadian owners – who Ahad said are private investors who don't want to be named – want to open two Consumers Distributing stores in Niagara Falls.
One would be a Consumers Distributing Express, which would be similar to the old store with customers selecting their items from catalogues (now touchscreen computers) in the front of the store and workers filling the orders from a warehouse in the back.
The second would be a superstore – meant to compete with the likes of Walmart and Target.
“We're working with a national grocery retailer that wants to put us in their store,” Ahad said.
He wouldn't say which grocery store is on board, but said the supermarkets would be rebranded with the Consumers Distributing Superstore look.
“You will see an express store and a superstore in Niagara Falls,” he said, adding that the city is being targeted partially because of its proximity to the U.S. border. American shoppers will be able to buy goods from Canadian stores and return them to Consumers locations in the U.S. if they need to.
As for a timeline, Ahad says the Express stores – which will range in size from 6,000 to 15,000 square feet – should be open by “October or November.” They'll employ between 15 and 20 people and will have a similar feel to an Apple Store, he said.
“We want to have that social interaction. We'll be there helping you on the computer pick something out,” he said.
The company also plans to launch its e-commerce website in the next few weeks.
FACT BOX
Consumers Distributing
- First opened in 1957
- Went bankrupt in 1996
- Relaunched in 2006, sold to investors in June 2012
- 80 stores planned across the country by late 2012
- Two stores - one superstore, one smaller express store planned for Niagara Falls

Consumers Distributing planning big comeback in Niagara Falls

That all sounds very dubious, especially the part about them building a superstore to compete against Wal-Mart and Target. Because building a superstore to compete successfully against Wal-Mart and Target is just that easy.

Initially the Express stores, esp if located within existing grocery stores, sounded like they could be more viable -- essentially, Consumers Distributing refashioning itself as an online seller that has the convenience of bricks-and-mortar counters (at convenient supermarket locations) for pick-ups and returns. But then they say that the stores would be between 6-15,000 square feet each, more along the lines of the old Consumers Distributing model that failed. The addition of touch-screen computers is not enough of a difference from the old model to make this idea fly. And I have no idea what grocery store chain is willing to be "rebranded with the Consumers Distributing Superstore look".

The timelines also seem massively unrealistic.

What floor will Equinox be on? It says 199 Bay which is the west tower. The map link says on the path level but the link doesn't work for me. I can't think of any vacancies on the path level large enough for a health club.

It will be 41K sf split over two levels.

Anyone know what is going in the empty space on Yonge across from Eaton Centre between Champs and Burger King? They are finally building something in that space.

BlogTO on Equinox: http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2012/08/equinox_fitness_clubs_set_to_open_toronto_location/

... Equinox Fitness Club is set to land in Toronto late this year (think December) with a 40,000 sq. ft. gym at Commerce Court.
Although specific details regarding the Toronto club have yet to be released, if one's to trust the teaser photos, fitness buffs in the Financial District should be happy. But all those nice amenities and lifestyle branding will cost you: monthly dues come in at $158.20 for access to the local gym, while a premium all-access membership (like the kind Obama has) will run you $169.50 for initiation and $206.79 monthly.
Edit: Equinox press release

Equinox, the upscale fitness and lifestyle leader in the US, is set to open its first Canadian club in the heart of Toronto's financial district in a 40,000 square foot site at Commerce Court, owned by British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (bcIMC). The club is expected to open in the winter of 2012.

Founded in 1991, with national headquarters in New York, Equinox currently operates clubs in the US with a collection of trophy properties, including clubs in the Time Warner Center and Rockefeller Center in New York City, as well as on Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills, Michigan Avenue in Chicago and in the heart of Miami's South Beach.

Somewhere I read (unconfirmed) that this would be the first of 3 Toronto locations, with Bloor/Yorkville being one of the other locations.

Last edited:
Anyone know what is going in the empty space on Yonge across from Eaton Centre between Champs and Burger King? They are finally building something in that space.
Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Refusal Notice

TORONTO ON M5B 1N8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 201700 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 27, 2012

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to fit-out new retail tenant "Vans", on ground floor (403m2).

BA Zoning Review Jun 28, 2012 Closed
BA Code Review Pt9 Jul 17, 2012 Refusal Notice
Plan Examination Chiu, Richard Contact Info
BA Fire Review Pt9 Not Started
Plan Examination Fire Review - South District Contact Info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Refusal Notice

TORONTO ON M5B 1N8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 201700 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 27, 2012

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to fit-out new retail tenant "Vans", on ground floor (403m2).

BA Zoning Review Jun 28, 2012 Closed
BA Code Review Pt9 Jul 17, 2012 Refusal Notice
Plan Examination Chiu, Richard Contact Info
BA Fire Review Pt9 Not Started
Plan Examination Fire Review - South District Contact Info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool. I would have pegged Queen West for the first Vans store but this makes sense too.

Toronto's first Fashion Night Out is happening on September 6 (also opening night of TIFF). I gather it's a bit like a retail Nuit Blanche, where fashion retailers open late (well, 11pm) and the evening is " filled with swanky, stylish happenings, making the evening Toronto’s fashion shopping event of the year!" BlogTO.

The New York version of Fashion Night Out is in its 4th year.

PATH update:

Lots of changes continue in the PATH. In the TD Centre, Shopper's recently moved to a larger location (old Grand and Toy store plus a couple of additional spaces); no clue yet will replace it. The Running Room will be taking over the old La Senza spot, and it looks like Reitmans will shift one store to the left with an updated look. Toys Toys Toys, which used to be in that spot, has moved again to the old Carlton Cards spot.

In FCP, the new Lasik clinic is up and running, and it looks like the expanded Harry Rosen store is on schedule. Judith and Charles is now in the spot formerly occupied by Sleuth and Statesman. No sign yet of when the new Rexall will open downstairs in the spot formerly occupied by the Gap and other stores. Interestingly enough, the medical clinic upstairs is still open--I'd been led to believe that was closing months ago.

Back