259     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 505     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Anyone know if the Yonge Eglinton center (riocan) expansion is going to go ahead anytime soon ?

I'm referring to the retail bit in particular. It looks like they're re-doing the inside of the mall now but not sure when / if the expansion will happen.

Is there any kind of public listing of who owns commercial property in Toronto? I would really love to give whoever the landlord is at the current Sonic Boom location a huge piece of my mind for screwing with my great neighborhood.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but '7 For All Mankind' is opening in August in Yorkdale, and Papyrus is opening two stores downtown by the fall. I haven't posted in so long I may have already posted this info.

Papyrus also recently opened a store in the Scotia Plaza concourse level, in a location formerly occupied by Carlton Cards.

American Greetings (Carlton's parent company) sold its retail stores to Schurman, the company that owns Papyrus. I would not be surprised to see more Carton Cards stores in "higher end" locations converted to Papyrus.

Driving down Yonge today, I noticed that Gant is opening up a pretty big store, a few blocks north of Eglinton on the west of side of Yonge. Looks like it will be only their second store in N.A., the first being Soho in NYC. Caught me by surprise but nice to see.

Last edited:
Though to be fair, the location's been Bargain Harold's and Woolworth's before, so there's a history--"heritage?"--of low-end chain retail here...

In more Yonge/Eglinton news, Sporting Life will open their 2nd floor for retail this Fall (currently office use).

I'm not sure where to post this but Costa Blanca and Urban Behavior are both having bankruptcy liquidation sales (80% off) at Heartland Town Centre. Not sure if this is chain-wide, just saw the ad in the Mississauga News.

I think it would be only that location as the Costa Blanca in the Eaton Centre is moving to another (larger?) location in the mall soon..

Back