News   Oct 26, 2020
 633     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date

DowntownCoder

Member Bio
Reaction score
I assume this is the thread for Atrium on Bay, seeing all the Muji discussion is here.

Anyway, noticed today that there's a coming soon sign for a Ryerson University campus store in a small space in the basement level on the Yonge end, next to Pickle Barrel. Seems like a curious location to me, even if it is near the university. Not sure what that means for Ryerson's current campus store on Gould at the NE corner of the 10 Dundas East complex.

soundmuseum

Member Bio
Reaction score
I noticed that too. I'm assuming the store on campus is closing or they are renovating. I can't see both stores being around.
From what I could see inside, they installed a lot of bookcases and shelving, plus a retractable tape barrier for the cashiers. I'm assuming that it's a temporary store to sell (mostly) books, to alleviate all the students going to the main campus store. It appears they're using what must have been staff office space for the former Guess store. The door was newly put in last week.

ACT7

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just noticed that Stussy on Queen has closed. Are they relocating or is that a permanent close?

Skeezix

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really love Farm Boy (although it's a real stretch to call it "Canada’s answer to Trader Joe’s", as the Star does here). It's very unfortunate that they aim solely for suburban areas. All their Ottawa stores are in the suburbs.

Farm Boy grocery opening draws Whitby crowd
When Farm Boy opened in Whitby last week, shoppers descended on the Ottawa-based "fresh market" retailer to see what the fuss was about.
Published on Wed Sep 02 2015, Toronto Star

"This is Farm Boy’s 18th store, with a Kitchener branch opening next. The chain is scouting Toronto for 10,000 to 15,000 square feet and lots of surface parking."

prosperegal

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really love Farm Boy (although it's a real stretch to call it "Canada’s answer to Trader Joe’s", as the Star does here). It's very unfortunate that they aim solely for suburban areas. All their Ottawa stores are in the suburbs.

Farm Boy grocery opening draws Whitby crowd
When Farm Boy opened in Whitby last week, shoppers descended on the Ottawa-based "fresh market" retailer to see what the fuss was about.
Published on Wed Sep 02 2015, Toronto Star

"This is Farm Boy’s 18th store, with a Kitchener branch opening next. The chain is scouting Toronto for 10,000 to 15,000 square feet and lots of surface parking."
To me, Farm Boy is basically Ottawa's Longo's. I've visited a few times (husband's family lives there) and that was the vibe I got.