Toronto Nobu Residences Toronto | 156.66m | 45s | Madison Group | Teeple Architects

Close to two major theatres and TIFF. Short walk south to the Convention Centre / Rogers Centre / CN Tower. Short walk north to the AGO. Short walk west and you can be in Chinatown, King West, or Queen West. To the east you've got the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, Nathan Phillips. Walking out the front door of this hotel I really don't think a tourist could make a bad decision about which way to go.

Respectfully, what would you consider to be an area with a better tourist draw?

Close to two major theatres and TIFF. Short walk south to the Convention Centre / Rogers Centre / CN Tower. Short walk north to the AGO. Short walk west and you can be in Chinatown, King West, or Queen West. To the east you've got the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, Nathan Phillips. Walking out the front door of this hotel I really don't think a tourist could make a bad decision about which way to go.

Respectfully, what would you consider to be an area with a better tourist draw?
You’re right. I probably should’ve said “personally I don’t see the draw*” but it still seems like a lot of hotels for one street, and that’s not counting the dozens of other hotels in the area.

*It’s fine for the theatre crowd but other attractions like restaurants, shops, bars, and clubs are all disappearing from this area.

The overlapping timelines of all these new builds is partly to blame. Every time I walk by a finished building I hope for unique tenants to lease a spot, but that hasn’t happened yet. Maybe time will solve this problem but with the large square footage of these new retail spaces I’m not hopeful.

As a tourist though, I’d cross over to the Queen West for more food options, actual proximity to Kensington, and unique retail. I recognize it’s all preferences but I can’t imagine that many tourists come primarily for shows, we can’t concentrate all these hotels in one area.

49B3D75C-D02D-485F-8200-5003065FC908.jpeg

You’re right. I probably should’ve said “personally I don’t see the draw*” but it still seems like a lot of hotels for one street, and that’s not counting the dozens of other hotels in the area.

*It’s fine for the theatre crowd but other attractions like restaurants, shops, bars, and clubs are all disappearing from this area.

The overlapping timelines of all these new builds is partly to blame. Every time I walk by a finished building I hope for unique tenants to lease a spot, but that hasn’t happened yet. Maybe time will solve this problem but with the large square footage of these new retail spaces I’m not hopeful.

As a tourist though, I’d cross over to the Queen West for more food options, actual proximity to Kensington, and unique retail. I recognize it’s all preferences but I can’t imagine that many tourists come primarily for shows, we can’t concentrate all these hotels in one area.

This will be Toronto's hotel district, which will hopefully attract better retail and restaurant options to the area, there will be a lot more foot traffic.

This will be Toronto's hotel district, which will hopefully attract better retail and restaurant options to the area, there will be a lot more foot traffic.
The hotel district is going to be great.

Not only more restaurants and retail, but it's close to numerous entertainment venues, including the Rogers Centre, CN Tower, and Ripley's Aquarium.

It's great for tourists and even visiting sports teams.

I think I kind of agree with the sentiment here. I just don't get how Nobu fits in this neighbourhood, more so in this tight lot. The W, maybe, Nobu not so much. It's just not the same kind of "luxury."

Maybe the restaurant but definitely not the hotel, or residence. You are literally surrounded by older cookie cutter condos, in what's becoming one the most generic neighbourhoods in the city surround by mediocre condos. I'm not saying it needs to be in Yorkville, to be luxury, but maybe on the periphery of this specific lot/sight. The ritz, Shangri-La (in the same area) both have better sites with more open views, wider roads, etc.

I think I kind of agree with the sentiment here. I just don't get how Nobu fits in this neighbourhood, more so in this tight lot. The W, maybe, Nobu not so much. It's just not the same kind of "luxury."

Maybe the restaurant but definitely not the hotel, or residence. You are literally surrounded by older cookie cutter condos, in what's becoming one the most generic neighbourhoods in the city surround by mediocre condos. I'm not saying it needs to be in Yorkville, to be luxury, but maybe on the periphery of this specific lot/sight. The ritz, Shangri-La (in the same area) both have better sites with more open views, wider roads, etc.
It’ll be interesting to see what Mercer looks like post construction. I remember a pie-in-the-sky render with brick pavers, level sidewalks, bollards, and new lighting.

Pretty sure it was just marketing material, but perhaps if someone ponies up the money the street would feel like a unique secluded high end street. The canyon that’s forming here will be interesting either way.

Has anyone heard in regards to estimated completion date/timeline? I know they stopped construction last year due to covid, wondering if that will cause delays

Back