Toronto Nautilus Condos | ?m | 39s | Biddington | Graziani + Corazza

Update on the project from the Monarch Nautilus March 2011 Newsletter

"Concrete work is currently forming and pouring the 30th floor and windows are being installed on the 15th floor. The electrical and mechanical roughs-in are following up behind the glazing, and studs and drywall have commenced on the 2nd floor. . . . . . . . Balcony railings will be the next external feature to be installed and that work is due to start shortly"

Colour Selection appts have commenced and purchasers are being contacted in order of priority starting from the bottom floors and moving up the building

by coincidence I was able to stop by Nautilus today, counted the floors, and they are indeed at 30....building is already looking tall, with still 9 more floors to go....

5490431236_32152377a9_b.jpg

5489835793_d7b2007a8b_b.jpg

5490430652_30b4ac364b_b.jpg

view from the site...
5489837089_0aa7beb08f_b.jpg

I just got back from the color/finish selection. They don't have the complete price list for the upgrades and the selection is very minimal. So bad that they make the standard finishes look amazing! very disappointed in the amount of choices! I expected better from Monarch. I'm going to just stick with the standard finishes then gut out the interior to have one of my buddy who is a contractor to refinish it.

I found my visit somewhat useful, but without the price I just felt rushed. Overall its an unpleasant first-time home buyer experience. Nancy was very patient and helpful throughout the 2 hour selection process. Thanks Nancy!

Last edited:
Here's what I know about in the area at the moment. If anyone knows any better, please let me know and I'll fix the map.

HumberBayShoresCtrMap.jpg

It's high time we went on a construction tour: raw concrete has been too absent from our diet for a little too long. So, let's start by easing ourselves into it...

We need a crane for a start...

AirCraneP1210394.jpg

Some available space in a tree...

AirCraneP1210398.jpg

Hmm, wait a minute...

AirCraneP1210399.jpg

That's Nautilus, obvious from the 'sail' carved into its wide facades by its balconies. It has nearly topped out in the Humber Bay Shores area of South Etobicoke, and we're going up and in for a look at the project.

NautilusP1210179.jpg

This, you'll remember, is what the building will look like when it's completed. The 39-storey structure, designed by Graziani and Corazza, will feature green balcony glazing on the land side of the sail, and blue glazing on the lake side. We'll take a better look at the exterior in a future report, but the thing to notice here... is what you don't see on this render: a highly articulated exterior. Sure there's the sail, but what becomes apparent once you are up in the tower is that there are lots of interesting angled views provided by an irregularly shaped floorplate: it's not quite as simple as the rendering makes it seem.

NautilusExtCrop750.jpg

So, angles and views, here we come:

NautilusP1210183.jpg

NautilusP1210229.jpg

NautilusP1210186.jpg

NautilusP1210187.jpg

NautilusP1210201.jpg

NautilusP1210202.jpg

NautilusP1210203.jpg

NautilusP1210182.jpg

Here we are looking into the sail cut from on high.

NautilusP1210190.jpg

NautilusP1210194.jpg

A couple of interior views down elevator shafts:

NautilusP1210208.jpg

NautilusP1210207.jpg

And a look up at the floor slab above, showing the join between one concrete pour and the next. Each floor at Nautilus takes three days to pour.

NautilusP1210210.jpg

Speaking of the roof, this bucket is heading toward it.

NautilusP1210209.jpg

Next week we'll take you up there too, to get a look at a concrete pour.

NautilusP1210205.jpg

All images Craig White

Amazing pictures! Thanks Interchange42!

I've always been intrigued by the interesting perks that come with all the different professions. The opportunity to roam around a skyscraper while under construction to snap all these amazing pictures is indeed a unique one.

Thanks again for sharing and can't wait till the next batch!

April 15 I like how the balonys are done
5624126645_35d8e27d65_b.jpg

5624700548_6a508cbfa8_b.jpg

5624143981_787056df2a_b.jpg

[video=youtube;myLGAci-yUU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myLGAci-yUU[/video]

So I guess they cut out the different color glass.

Sorry Taal - bad guess - like I said three posts up, the land side has green glazing, the lake side has blue glazing. The difference is subtle from some angles, more pronounced from others. More photos coming soon.

Sorry Taal - bad guess - like I said three posts up, the land side has green glazing, the lake side has blue glazing. The difference is subtle from some angles, more pronounced from others. More photos coming soon.

If you look a the 2nd photo above the video, it shows both the south and west glass being the same color. Even the first one shows the east and south the glass the same.

I saw no real different in color from the various angles I was looking at as well shooting.

If there is to be a different subtle change, I guess we will have to wait until there more glass up to see it.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll have to wait till I see it in person.

Drum, in your photo immediately above the video, you can see the difference in the glass on the west side on either side of the sale. It's subtle, but it's there. My photos will be up on Tuesday.

In the meantime, back into the building, and time to head up to the top.

From just below the 34th floor, we get a look at the forms.

NautilusP1210230.jpg

NautilusP1210231.jpg

This is what it looks like up amongst the forms, while concrete floor slabs are being poured above, and until they have hardened.

NautilusP1210211.jpg

NautilusP1210212.jpg

We have made it to the top floor. While most of the 34th has been poured, but it will be another day and a half before it is finished.

NautilusP1210216.jpg

Construction workers here deal with concrete from the most recent bucket. The first job is to distribute the mix evenly.

NautilusP1210213.jpg

Smoothing comes next, first roughly...

NautilusP1210215.jpg

and then more precisely on hardened sections from an older pour.

NautilusP1210217.jpg

Another bucket arrives, and it is emptied.

NautilusP1210218.jpg

NautilusP1210221.jpg

NautilusP1210222.jpg

Another bucket load is distributed.

NautilusP1210225.jpg

It's a friendly crew up top.

NautilusP1210227.jpg

Tomorrow, we'll take a look at the building from the outside as it looks today, including a closer look at the balcony glazing.

Back