Toronto Nautilus Condos | ?m | 39s | Biddington | Graziani + Corazza

It is not their existence, it is the fact that they warrant a post. With an ! no less. And I'm not criticizing Josef, there's just such a dearth of options.

I actually like this area -- I spend lots of time at the waterfront around here and can entirely understand why people who value the waterfront more than being in the heart of the city would choose to live here. Hopefully the new developments will fix the problem but the current lack of retail cannot be denied, leading to excitement when even a Subway (inside a Rabba's) shows up.

It is not their existence, it is the fact that they warrant a post. With an ! no less. And I'm not criticizing Josef, there's just such a dearth of options.

I actually like this area -- I spend lots of time at the waterfront around here and can entirely understand why people who value the waterfront more than being in the heart of the city would choose to live here. Hopefully the new developments will fix the problem but the current lack of retail cannot be denied, leading to excitement when even a Subway (inside a Rabba's) shows up.

It's really frustrating given how well restaurants are doing here (THERE ARE ONLY TWO!).

Westlake's retail offerings and the restaurants in Waterscapes, Ocean Club and whatever retail ends up in Lago and Eau du Soleil should go far in fixing some things - most of those will face directly onto Marine Parade. I really wonder how much they're asking for the units in Beyond the Sea as they're decent retail spaces (high ceilings, good layout, some big units) but sitting empty. I think the main problem from what I heard is the lack of street parking for people to be able to stop and shop. I never understood why there's a gigantic lawn in front of BTS when they could have added a parking lane... Stupid planning.

Any neighbourhood requires a critical mass to make new retail viable. With all the new residents coming to what's under construction now, Humber Bay Shores should soon enough be able to support a wide variety of shops and restaurants… and there should be a large population close enough by to put Beyond the Sea's shops within easy walking range.

That said, it takes a while for the right retail mix to settle into an area: the first shop in any space is not necessarily going to be the best fit for the space in the long run. I think it will be half a dozen years from now before we can really assess the success of everything now on offer (and of course, there's much more to come, and huge decisions to be made re: the Mondelez lands across Lake Shore).

Grimace and Youranthony0: what a load. There are Subways and Rabbas all over town. You two going to stick your noses up at them?

Look, I live in the area and know the current offerings are slim to none. Would I be excited about a Subway opening within a Rabba? No, especially when one is down the street at the Sobeys plaza. If you want to be in denial about it, great, don't expect me to agree.

The café at South Beach is a step, a great one at that, in the right direction.

I'm happy with any retail opening within the Humber Bay Shores, especially walking distance.

I'm happy with any retail opening within the Humber Bay Shores, especially walking distance.

Yeah, you're right, I hope they open 10 nail salons as well.

It's going to take time but I'm sure that there will be quality retail once the area matures. The two new planned restaurants, even if they aren't established brands, will be a great additions.

Like I said, the cafe at South Beach is awesome.

Last edited:
The last few comments are a year old but not much has happened retail wise in this area. Does anyone know if there are plans for any of the retail units for Waterview along Lake Shore? They still seem to sit empty. I can walk to about 3 different nail salons within 2 minutes but not a whole lot else. Westlake will be very handy when complete but would like to see more around lake shore / brookers. Does anyone else not think a pub would make a killing around here?

The last few comments are a year old but not much has happened retail wise in this area. Does anyone know if there are plans for any of the retail units for Waterview along Lake Shore? They still seem to sit empty. I can walk to about 3 different nail salons within 2 minutes but not a whole lot else. Westlake will be very handy when complete but would like to see more around lake shore / brookers. Does anyone else not think a pub would make a killing around here?

I've been saying that all along.. A pub would kill here, and I would love to frequent one!

My only option is the Blue Goose.. Granted, it's not a bad spot, but once in a while I want something less 'Co, more Toronto ('Co referencing Mimico :) )

Heard rumours that the corner retail unit at Waterscapes is going to be either a Firkin pub or an Oliver and Bonacini.

It's all about the area reaching a certain population threshold where suddenly there are enough feet on the sidewalks to keep a pile more places open. That time is coming, but it may take a couple more years of condo openings.

Back