News   Jul 15, 2024
 606     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 759     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 600     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

Tory is one of 45 votes. Council has been a mess for a very long time, no matter who the mayor was, so I wasn't expecting him to suddenly unite them.

Agreed

I believe Tory moreso united actual residents by respecting their individual areas and it should be reflected in this vote. This could very well end up being quite the massive margin of victory. Council is a different animal when to comes to unity

Last edited:
People who have paid off their mortgage in its entirety. That's all.
Or who don't pay rent, and the majority of Toronto residents are renters. Are property taxes included in that rent? Absolutely, but obviously it's just a fraction of it.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-84816.pdf

Edit to clarify: I've lost the stat I read in the linked document above to be able to reference the page, and I must rush out, but here's a back-up reference, albeit far from definitive:

More by the numbers:
47: Percentage of Toronto households that are renters (The number is growing.)

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/02/09/rental-market-toronto/

That number is enough to buttress the claim that "Tory is out of touch".

Last edited:
When I lived downtown, my taxes were about $350/month. I could easily spend more on groceries than that. My condo fees were definitely more than that, as I'm sure Tory's are. Perhaps he should check his own bills before making stupid statements.

Biggest monthly expense? He has no clue what people's regular expenses are. Tory seems more out-of-touch than ever...

I buy it, as it applies to the reliable voter (read as 55+, middle class and above). For a $1M house annual property taxes (+ education) is about $6300. Since the city skips December, it's 11 payments of roughly $600/month.

Groceries might be larger BUT it's also separate trips (likely weekly) making separate payments. Electric, utilities, phone, cable bill, etc. are all quite a bit less individually. Vehicle payment would be close but a $30k vehicle with a 60 month term (most are that or longer) is $550/month so still a bit less.

Gas, car repairs, house repairs, etc. are all done as you go rather than regular monthly bills.

This was a message for the retired fixed income crowd; 90% of which will show up at the polls.

Last edited:
When I lived downtown, my taxes were about $350/month. I could easily spend more on groceries than that. My condo fees were definitely more than that, as I'm sure Tory's are. Perhaps he should check his own bills before making stupid statements.

Prices in One Bedford are high enough that it might not be true.

Looking at a 2 bedroom listing ($1.5M) I'm seeing maintenance fees and property taxes within about $30 of each-other ($900/month and $870/month respectively). A higher floor (higher value) with slightly smaller square footage or an extra parking space would reverse that order.

Also, $1800 a month for housing without even considering the mortgage seems excessive to me.

Last edited:
I lived in a newer building where assessments hadn't caught up with market value, so my taxes on a similar unit were way lower, although my maintenance fees were in that range.

It may have been a targeted message, but he shouldn't make a blanket statement presented as a fact. I have a thing about facts :)

I lived in a newer building where assessments hadn't caught up with market value, so my taxes on a similar unit were way lower, although my maintenance fees were in that range.

It may have been a targeted message, but he shouldn't make a blanket statement presented as a fact. I have a thing about facts :)
Short on time here, but managed to track down something quotable, the original link is untraceable:
Biggest monthly expense? He has no clue what people's regular expenses are. Tory seems more out-of-touch than ever...

680 NEWS Toronto‏Verified account@680NEWS
The single biggest payment people make per month, John Tory says, is property tax. He's about to make an announcement about affordability of living in Toronto. #TOpoli
So I found this:

[
quote][...]
Tory has announced that he will keep the cost of property taxes either at or below the rate of inflation.

Property taxes are the “"single biggest cheque" that most people who are living in a house have to pay each year in the city.

When asked if raising property taxes would be a good thing to pay for services such as transit in the city Tory said it's “just not on.”
[...] [/quote]
https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toron...omise-to-try-to-make-the-city-more-affordable

He's still missing the mark of the *average* Torontonian, by a huge amount. I'll try and quantify that with reference later...

So he talks about those living in a house. Well, a heck of a lot of Torontonians DON’T live in houses. And the majority of those who do have mortgages, so it’s still not on.
Not even close to it...

But let's flip that over for a sek: He sure makes Keesmaat look connekted!

Special K...

Last edited:

680 NEWS Toronto‏Verified account@680NEWS
The single biggest payment people make per month, John Tory says, is property tax. He's about to make an announcement about affordability of living in Toronto. #TOpoli

Hell no.

Income tax.
Rent (at least 4/5 of which is not property tax).
Debt repayments.
Food.
Then maaaaaybe property tax if it isn't the amount I spend on going out.

Who is that statement for? 5% of the population?

Yeah, he's trippin'.....I'm pretty sure there are months where I pay more for wine and beer than for property tax.

Back