Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

ROW on 427 would be the best thing but I doubt it would be built anytime soon. Maybe if the Pearson hub comes to reality it would make sense to build that connection along 427 and Pearson.

I've been using the 109 between sq 1 and Kipling Station off and on since 2012, and from my perspective, ridership has steadily increased, and travel time between sq 1 and Kipling(I don't travel all the way to Islington) has steadily decreased since 2012. The opening of Renforth station will hugely beneficial because buses can bypass Matheson Blvd.
This isn't a endorsement of BRT, just the facts from someone who uses the service. I now use it daily to get to work and it's actually quicker than the 76.

Not what I was told.

Well your statement is irrelevant regardless because the system I was proposing isn't an actual LRT.

I talked to the people in charge of the project and they told me, it's not designed for LRT conversion. This project is 25 years in the making.

I don't think the station platforms(bus bays) are big enough to fit an LRV length vehicle. Bi-articulated buses are probably the upper limit.

They are totally long enough

Look at the length in this picture

38473293301_e8875a1596_b.jpg

That could totally fit the vehicle I was suggesting

4107101E00000578-4565992-image-a-68_1496404367162.jpg

Plus, they are modular, you can add or take away as many sections as you need.

You said LRT upgrade. The transitway was never designed for upgrade to LRT.
Sorry to say, Yes it was in the beginning as per the EA, but cost cutting took a big bite out of it.

Like I said above, this is a GO Thing and GO has no use for LRT. Most of all, most of the GO routes will never see the need for an LRT to the point the whole thing will remain an BRT. Ridership for miWay will not reach the need for an LRT as well.

Until you get buses coming every 45 seconds to a minute, then you will need to look at an LRT, assuming every bus is DD. 60 x 80 = 4,800/hr vs an 2-3 car LRT every 5 minutes.

Why was it built as a BRT and Hurontario is being built as an LRT?
Hurontario LRT wasn't in the picture back in 2004 when the EA was done for the BRT nor a city/region master plan. In my 2003 Report on Transit for Mississauga, I did call for an LRT on Hurontario with an option of going overhead.

In 2005 I did a presentation to council calling not for one LRT, but 7 including Hurontario to the point the whole council and mayor came up to me after the council meeting and said they understand where I was coming from and support my views to the point they said they need to do it on transit. Still waiting for them to do it.

In 2006 with Metrolinx coming out the door, Peel Region did a presentation at a Transit Summit at my request that I was co-chair of, that call for an LRT all the way from the north end of Brampton to Lakeshore and to Long Branch.

The Transitway is only a section of a larger BRT plan running from Burlington to Markham and Pickering and been around since the 70's that I know of.

The ridership in 2004 never could support an LRT once the real numbers came out in 2005 even though I call for an LRT. One can look a section to say what it should be, but the whole thing or the big picture will say otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: jys
Sorry to say, Yes it was in the beginning as per the EA, but cost cutting took a big bite out of it.

Like I said above, this is a GO Thing and GO has no use for LRT. Most of all, most of the GO routes will never see the need for an LRT to the point the whole thing will remain an BRT. Ridership for miWay will not reach the need for an LRT as well.

Until you get buses coming every 45 seconds to a minute, then you will need to look at an LRT, assuming every bus is DD. 60 x 80 = 4,800/hr vs an 2-3 car LRT every 5 minutes.

And as constructed.. not built for LRT conversion.

And as constructed.. not built for LRT conversion.
Most sections can be built for LRT, but a few will have to be rebuilt to do it because of cost cutting. At the same time, you have to build all the missing section due to cost and NIMBY.

Then why do it went it will force 1-3 extra transfer as well travel time for riders?? Unless "ALL" routes are 100% LRT, there no sense to look at conversion and don't see that happening. Most of us will be dead before any real thought surface to look at conversion to LRT.

Back