Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Had the opportunity to experience the transitway today while on the 40 (GO Transit).

Overall, my opinion still stands that the infrastructure is a huge waste of money. There's barely any ridership, GO only stops at a select few stations (maybe I didn't notice where the GO stop signage was). It's in the middle of nowhere, non-pedestrian friendly and lacks density around the stations. In other words it reeks of Metrolinx's abysmal transit planning. During rush hour and going through the transitway I noticed at most there were perhaps 6 passengers per station waiting for their buses. The transitway in experience was slower than GO using the 403 and this is most likely the direct result of the imposed max speed limit of 50 km/h for half of the portion. They really should've widen the lanes so that higher speed could be operated.

On a side note, I don't like what I see and fear that the 407 transitway will also be the same.

Had the opportunity to experience the transitway today while on the 40 (GO Transit).

Overall, my opinion still stands that the infrastructure is a huge waste of money. There's barely any ridership, GO only stops at a select few stations (maybe I didn't notice where the GO stop signage was). It's in the middle of nowhere, non-pedestrian friendly and lacks density around the stations. In other words it reeks of Metrolinx's abysmal transit planning. During rush hour and going through the transitway I noticed at most there were perhaps 6 passengers per station waiting for their buses. The transitway in experience was slower than GO using the 403 and this is most likely the direct result of the imposed max speed limit of 50 km/h for half of the portion. They really should've widen the lanes so that higher speed could be operated.

On a side note, I don't like what I see and fear that the 407 transitway will also be the same.
It should be changed to 80km/h and 40km/h at stations.

I believe that the Transitway's main purpose is to speed up Miway routes 107 and 109, and to that extent it has done pretty well. There was never any expectation(at least from me) that the intermediate stations will attract very many passengers, or that it will speed up GO routes(unless highway connections to 401 East and 427 North are built)

I don't get why the Transitway would be so underused. LOTS of ppl go between Sq. 1 and the subway, or to and from buses on Dixie

I don't get why the Transitway would be so underused. LOTS of ppl go between Sq. 1 and the subway, or to and from buses on Dixie

The scheduling often doesn't fit my travels, so instead of waiting longer I just hop on one of the other routes (26, 20, 3, etc.).

I think some folks also don't realize it can be faster than other routes, because it seems so roundabout to go so far north. The time savings would have been much greater if they had had greater foresight in planning Mississauga for a more direct route.

To be fair this planning was done by the city of Mississauga, not Metrolinx.

Even though I'm from Mississauga these stations strike me as overbuilt. On the other hand, the Eglinton Croststown stops are underbuilt....why can't we have a happy medium?

And to think, cost savings from not "overbuilding" the non-terminal stops could have gone towards the original intent of the City Centre station to have it fully grade-separated from other traffic:

gotransit-2109-02.gif

The whole basis of the different grades at Square One terminal was to accommodate this feature. Hopefully this can still be done at a future date.

And to think, cost savings from not "overbuilding" the non-terminal stops could have gone towards the original intent of the City Centre station to have it fully grade-separated from other traffic:

gotransit-2109-02.gif

The whole basis of the different grades at Square One terminal was to accommodate this feature. Hopefully this can still be done at a future date.
Funny how this comes from a 25 year old EA, and it is still not built.

The scheduling often doesn't fit my travels, so instead of waiting longer I just hop on one of the other routes (26, 20, 3, etc.).

I think some folks also don't realize it can be faster than other routes, because it seems so roundabout to go so far north. The time savings would have been much greater if they had had greater foresight in planning Mississauga for a more direct route.

Having the 427 South BRT and Kipling Hub built would help too.

Reactions: jys
To be fair the city had been trying for ages to secure funding for the Transitway. Unfortunately, only after two decades of axe swinging later was the city able to secure funding for the Transitway, albeit a brutally severed Transitway.

Now that's not to say the Transitway is a completely useless piece of infrastructure. The Airport Corporate Centre is one of the largest employment centres in the GTA and traffic is an absolute nightmare in the afternoon. Try getting from Creekbank/Eglinton to Square One/Hurontario in less than half hour at 5PM. It's next to impossible, yet the Transitway will get you there in 10 minutes. Currently MiWay operates a combined frequency of 3 minutes at rush hour (21, 107, 109). With the transitway saving 30+ minutes of round trip time, that means 10 less buses an hour are needed to provide the same level of service.

Even at the current service levels overcrowding is a serious problem during rush hours. So this whole idea that there is barely any ridership on it is nothing short of misleading. The stations may not appear crowded, but the buses running on the Transitway are indeed and there is much more service to come.

As for speed limits, the majority of the transitway is in fact 80 km/h, the section east of Dixie to Etobicoke Creek Station is 50km/h due to the curvature of the line. Although I do wish those curves were canted to improve ride quality and speed in that section. However, even with the station speeds of 40km/h the idea that half of the Transitway is posted at 50km/h or averages out to is pure rubbish.

The same poster pointed to the fact that the GO buses are now taking a much slower route. This is not untrue, however, the final eastern piece of the Transitway is not yet complete and buses currently take a much slower route to/from Renforth. It is also important to note that Renforth between the 401 and Carlingview has been under construction for the last month and has really impacted travel times along there, further skewing this very limited observation. While in the end the GO bus may be a little bit slower, the opportunities for boardings as a result of the two additional GO stops should have a very positive impact on the productivity of these routes.

Lastly we need to talk about MiWay service as a whole. In 2007 the city was embarking on a very ambitious five year service expansion in preparation for the opening of the Transitway. Annual service hours were to grow to 1.5 million by 2012. Unfortunately, then director of transit—Bill Cunningham—who was leading the charge retired as the first year of expansion was coming to a close. This was untimely for a number of reasons, transit ridership in Mississauga was about to be hit badly by the recession and the new director of transit—Geoff Marinoff—didn't make the push to stay on course. I presume because in his first year subsidies shot right up as the first year of major service increases collided with the loss of ridership as a result of the economic climate. Geoff Marinoff would prove not to be the champion of transit that Bill Cunningham was and MiWay's ambitious growth plans were locked away in a closet even after ridership had fully recovered. Instead the approach was very modest service increases along with a more aggressive marketing approach, hence MiWay. In 2017, 5 years later than planned in 2007, MiWay's annual service hours would finally reach the envisioned 1.5 million mark. One can only imagine what this meant for getting transit in Mississauga ready for the opening of the Transitway.

The problem is people have their preconceived ideas of this transitway. They then make an observation or two that happens to fit their thoughts of the project and quickly pass judgement and frankly that's just lazy and ignorant.

Last edited:
The problem is people have their preconceived ideas of this transitway. They then make an observation or two that happens to fit their thoughts of the project and quickly pass judgement and frankly that's just lazy and ignorant.

The problem is that a lot of people who are on this forum are not the type to have 9-5 mon-friday jobs, and thus they don't take transit at rush hour.

They are the minority, and while I do agree that we need transit all hours of the day, if you are going to then complain that it's underused when you reverse commute at 2pm, there is a reason for that.

I don't think people are doubting the usefulness of the line as a whole - just that a lot of the stations are very overbuilt.

Is the project overbuilt, or are the lands around it underbuilt?

upload_2017-9-15_16-4-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-15_16-4-38.png
    upload_2017-9-15_16-4-38.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 434

Back