Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

As for a BRT on Burnhamthorpe, one is not require west of Hurontario and hard for the east until Mississauga takes over TTC Route 50. I wrote a business case in 2005 & 07 calling for Mississauga taking over TTC route 50 and is supported by Metrolinx.

Isn't the Metrolinx plan to have BRT on the 427 anyway? Why not merely redirect any MiWay routes south on the 427 BRT to Kipling station?

Isn't the Metrolinx plan to have BRT on the 427 anyway? Why not merely redirect any MiWay routes south on the 427 BRT to Kipling station?
Until MTO Agrees to it, not going to happen. MTO has stated that there is no room on 427 to put in an BRT or transit only lane and to do would require removing a lane of traffic which is not in the cards.

Come 2019/20, all Mississauga routes will use 427 with the exception of 3 and 26. Route 20 will not go east of Pony Trail in 2017? Route 1 or 101 is supposed to continue to Islington at this time.

Islington will only see MT 26 and 1 or 101 after everything is move to Kipling.

Some of the following issues were known back in 2004 and don't recall seeing this building when I was at the Erin Mills station last year. I do agree it too close considering how far the station is from the property line in the first place. Other than that, I guess the Hydro Corridor is a great view from the backyard that is fence in the first place. Standard NIMBY's.

Metrolinx slammed for ‘appalling’ bus station beside Mississauga homes

Last edited:
Looking at those photos, it is hard to argue with the NIMBYs. The people at Metrolinx are idiots.

Why were they protesting the busses?

I guess because it is easier for NIMBYs to pick on transit riders than car drivers.

I don't want to pick on Toronto, because NIMBYism against transit riders happens in the 905 too, but you'd think that Toronto would be above that.

Until MTO Agrees to it, not going to happen. MTO has stated that there is no room on 427 to put in an BRT or transit only lane and to do would require remove a lane of traffic which is not in the cards.

Come 2019/20, all Mississauga routes will use 427 with the exception of 3 and 26. Route 20 will not go east of Pony Trail in 2017? Route 1 or 101 is supposed to continue to Islington at this time.

I always hoped that the hydro corridor near Fieldgate could be used as a bus corridor for Mississauga buses (the NW angle of the streets works to cut down the distance). However, with the Renforth Gateway being a key future connection point I wonder if the hydro corridor near Kipling would work. A solution would need to be figured out for the Martin Grove intersection (concurrently with the Crosstown extension?)...but would mean almost a 100% separated connection from Square 1 to Kipling station.

Stop lights (with transit priority) for the side streets (10 of them) and bridges/tunnels for the major roads (Dundas, Bloor, Burnhamthorpe, Martin Grove, Eglinton, Renforth)

And if Toronto gets on board can be a BRT for Toronto with 4-5 stops...as a feeder to the west end bus routes (plus the Airport Express with no worries about traffic on the 427).

Transit has always been the whipping boy since it so easy to go after and fix than dealing with the real problem and the is the car. Cars rule councilor votes as to go against them is been toss from that nice pay job.

Even if its not the car, what every the problem is, it will be blame on transit.

The hydro corridor by Fieldgate can't support transit as its too narrow and too close to buildings. You would need flyover the crossing roads. Then what route would benefit from this corridor and who would use it??

Until MTO Agrees to it, not going to happen. MTO has stated that there is no room on 427 to put in an BRT or transit only lane and to do would require removing a lane of traffic which is not in the cards.

Islington will only see MT 26 and 1 or 101 after everything is move to Kipling.

Some of the following issues were known back in 2004 and don't recall seeing this building when I was at the Erin Mills station last year. I do agree it too close considering how far the station is from the property line in the first place. Other than that, I guess the Hydro Corridor is a great view from the backyard that is fence in the first place. Standard NIMBY's.

Metrolinx slammed for ‘appalling’ bus station beside Mississauga homes

Hi folks, I'm new here (commenting) but have followed this blog for some time and, upon seeing today's article, and that by the Mississauga News last week, feel compelled, as a resident of Erin Mills and regular user of the transitway (especially that station) to speak up (and hope more of us do)...

On the Toronto Star article, this is a gross attack and sensationalized story, half-reported, comprised of select residents, mostly immediately abutting the transitway, shouting in NIMBY protest YEARS after consultation (and inevitably construction and development) occurred, having only realized the issue, suddenly, this week? The city, meanwhile, goes on a vicious attack against Metrolinx, despite all the approvals, permits and regular lauding of the organization (think HLRT, GO expansion, new buses, PRESTO...) they had to go through to get this built! While Metrolinx built and designed these stations, the city has been there every step of the way, for more than a decade!! Where the hell were they when they saw these renderings of the station (which haven't changed since at least 2012, the image below is from their own transitway blog, Jan 14, 2012 - the small building has been there for over a year), consulted and approved it?? This is a shameful and unusual attack from a city getting a massive windfall in transit funding for GO and MiWay projects in recent years.

If it isn't clear already, I am very upset with the way this station turned out, and agree with the concerns - however I have made these concerns clear at consultations and direct calling/emails to GO and the city since 2010 and I never saw other residents voicing these issues loudly, when the time was there to do it! The station now functions as best as it can, and I am still in a heated conversation with Metrolinx about some other issues, such as the incomplete pathways system and horribly poor landscaping, lack of light-shading at the site...with limited success. This article, conversely, takes a completely last-minute, hostile approach, ignoring the process, the players and instead victimizing a single authority - Metrolinx. While deserving of some blame the Provincial authority has been isolated while the city washes it's hands of the issue. It's scandalous.

I'm sure many of us are aware of these issues, and I hope we understand the planning process, too. This article and attack - and the strange positioning of the select residents and the city - cannot go unanswered. I hope those in this blog can join me in some way responding to this such that the full story is revealed - including the equally dubious flaws, delays, cost over-runs, re-hashed contracts and escaped-blame of the city and council for their own transit stations! Those who have the most invested, worked the hardest, as well as the users of this system should not get shafted/dismissed yet again by this article...it's high time we set the record straight and demanded what was expected of this transit-way. I will start by writing a letter to the editor, and perhaps a full story blog post of my own, if warranted. The Mississauga News article seems wise to some of these concerns (I disagree with the hypothesized better alignment on Burnhamthorpe, as I think most here do, but Eglinton was and still is a far better option, that could have run straight to Renforth, with vast benefits to the city/development), so I'm hoping many here will ask them to do an investigation on this.

Thoughts?

P.S. Just found this...so it looks like the Mississauga News is just as ignorant, too. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.
tumblr_mezbboTEip1ruy9mpo1_1280.png

Attachments

• tumblr_mezbboTEip1ruy9mpo1_1280.png
    tumblr_mezbboTEip1ruy9mpo1_1280.png
    596.9 KB · Views: 573

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-10 at 12.44.49 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-10 at 12.44.49 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 506
It's also unclear to me how the homeowner could watch a guy urinating outside the bathroom, on the other side of their big fence.

Screen shot 2016-03-10 at 12.52.56 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-03-10 at 12.52.56 AM.png
    Screen shot 2016-03-10 at 12.52.56 AM.png
    596.5 KB · Views: 645
Living in Erin Mills, and seeing the petitions that I do (and those discovered online) I can tell you we are one of the worst "trigger-happy" NIMBY's, probably in the GTA...
-Our entire community was built on farmland ("cleared") and essentially built from scratch by the Erin Mills Dev. Corporation (the same idiots that removed our one iconic landmark, the clocktower, and the beautiful glass ceilings, with a $120 million+ glass ball, with costs and delays still out of control)
-We have zero heritage sites, our oldest building is less than 40 years old
-We don't have a town centre/community area, whatsoever; we have no BIA and no residents association
-People seem to only complain here after a structure is built (current articles case and point, but a rare example of something actually getting published, it seems in this case council was ready to jump and attack Metrolinx, while covering their own scandalous waste/delay/mistakes with their portion of the project)...
-Many residents, once they saw intensification on Eglinton over 2012-present, also jumped up to attack each one with the previous Councillor, Katie Mahoney, most recently, against the widely celebrated Daniels project - thankfully the OMB had the sense to approve it (yet the dynasty continues, as her son, Matt Mahoney, is now councillor...)

I am a student, finishing my masters in planning, and this recent news is traumatizing - what on earth can one do in a silent community, that leaps up and attacks, but never bothers to go to the consultation or follow the projects in progress (or show any sense of progressive values)...

It's also unclear to me how the homeowner could watch a guy urinating outside the bathroom, on the other side of their big fence.

View attachment 69515
It is a f-in gong show - pardon my language. But truly, council has shown their stupidity at highs I didn't think possible. Their are no windows facing them, and no washroom visible. So they either made the story up, or some random bad customer was peeing outside the building, with no relation to the staff.

Obviously the building is way too close, but the whole way this is unfolding, more than 5 years after consultation and approvals shared several times with council and residents, I am stunned by how much stupid and ignorance there is among the city, select residents and the reporters.

They got enough room down by the loop for that building.

Mississauga News
http://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...g-into-a-nightmare-for-mississauga-residents/

Any further south of that position is directly within hydro access corridor, where construction is not allowed (the existing position is in the ROW, still not ideal for hydro folks, but at least safe from an access perspective and not below pylons or wiring). Further south, closer to the road loop, has no sidewalk access, and would enter the transitway "bus-only" zone. It would required additional approvals, but it is theoretically possible.

Also, on how long the building has been there - it's been visible on google maps since the start of construction, I believe this is late 2014.
tway.JPG

Attachments

• tway.JPG
    tway.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 474

Back