Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Kipling seems like a dumb idea. A hub at the at-grade extension to Honeydale makes much more sense - especially if there will any type of BRT on 427 or on Dundas. .

Agreed. The extension to Kipling was largely just a bone to Etobicoke because Scarborough was getting a 1 stop extension to Kennedy in order to build the SRT. It was a political extension, rather than one based on demand.

But yes, an extension to Honeydale would be very much a good idea. It would also open up a lot of redevelopment opportunities for the site itself as well are the areas directly surrounding it. Not to mention would give the Mississauga Transitway and Dundas BRT much easier access to the subway. It would also open up the Islington bus terminal to redevelopment, seeing as how such a massive bus bay would no longer be needed.

New Name for Mississauga Transitway

Jul 03, 2013

City Council approved the name for Mississauga’s new dedicated transitway today. The bus corridor will be called: Mississauga Transitway.

The naming of the Mississauga Transitway was approved by the City of Mississauga Approved Street Name Reserve List and the Region of Peel Street Name Committee.

Although the transitway is dedicated for transit, a street name will ensure that Emergency Services can attend to emergencies. Signage reading, Mississauga Transitway, will be posted as part of the bus corridor capital project.

The transitway is currently under construction and will provide east-west service supporting thousands of riders per day, making it faster for commuters to travel to, from and through Mississauga and across the region.

The transitway is being constructed by the City of Mississauga and GO Transit (a division of Metrolinx). Once operational, the Mississauga Transitway will complement and connect with local bus service, regional transit service and the TTC subway, as well as link employment centres across Mississauga.

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/pressreleases?itemId=1500006r&returnUrl=/portal/miway

Aug 22
With 6 weeks to go, will this thing be ready for testing and training driver for both MT and GO so it can open at the end of Oct?

Stop off and had a look at Dixie station today and going out on the limb and say no.

Unless I am missing seeing it, both elevators are not install. They are working on the base of the platforms so concrete can be pour before installing the heating coils for the snow melting system. Lot of trim work to be done.

The parking lot is ready for the sub base of asphalt with the light poles base in place.

Since the bridge is in place for Dixie Rd, surprised the road work is not done so the road can reopen to allow work on the station plaza area.

The roadway by Tomken is ready for the base sub base coat of asphalt as well the section east of the Dixie bridge. Not work has taken place for the cut off from the ROW to connect to the ramp area to Dixie Rd.

Tomkem is in about the same shape as Dixie as I travel by it.

They finally finish the Rathburn connection and way too long to do that work. Maybe the Hurontario Sidewalk can be put back into service in Sept as well removing that lane closure.

Dufferin Construction has be going gain busters in their section of work that they have open the new Fieldgate bridge over a month ago to connect the flyover ramp to the lower level.

Lets see if the City holds the contractor to the completion date and back charge them for any delays.

Lot more photos up on site
9571205385_67f93f8eee_b.jpg

9571205385_67f93f8eee_b.jpg

9574005744_aa5b33c0b8_b.jpg

9571212265_a6e3179e7b_b.jpg

9571217759_d40209cb0a_b.jpg

9573976008_1d1e43858c_b.jpg

9574018782_3fd5d54b73_b.jpg

9573977178_77677290ae_b.jpg

Miss should be applauded for this iniative, they are building an excellent and reliable rapid transit corridor at a fraction of the price of LRT.

Miss should be applauded for this iniative, they are building an excellent and reliable rapid transit corridor at a fraction of the price of LRT.

Given what the original number being used for the EA, LRT was the way to go. Since this was a GO thing, the number were inflated to the point it was for the whole system, not just for this section.

Then GO never was interested in using LRT in the first place regardless if buses could use the same ROW.

Yes building a BRT is cheaper than LRT by a long shot, but fails in operating cost over a 30 year life cycle by millions. The operating cost saving of an LRT line will cover the extra cost of building the line in the first place and still beat BRT in the end.

Since there is no way of getting LRT south of Eglinton to either Kipling or Cloverdale, it has to be a BRT. It could have connected with TTC LRT airport line that is now on the back burner.

It is well over budget and years behind schedule just like I said would happen back in 2004.

Because of the elevator strike, this station as well Tomkem are behind schedule for them. Regardless of the strike, this project should be near finish, not the way it is too day.

This contractor should stay out of the general construction field and stay with road and bridges they were known for based on this contract.

Will say November or Dec opening date now.

This corridor would be useless as an LRT. The current bus GO and MiWay routes in this corridor serve Meadowvale, UTM, the airport, Malton, York U, Kipling/Islington Station, Union Station, and more. I don't see how you can replace this with LRT.

Maybe if the Mississauga Transitway were extended to York U, and/or the 407 Transitway, converting both Mississauga and 407 Transitways to light rail can be considered. But until then light rail seems pointless.

For an east-west LRT in Mississauga, Dundas East is a much better choice. It is extremely disappointing to me that Metrolinx already decided on BRT, a one-size-fits-all solution for all of Burlington/Oakville/Mississauga, even before the City of Mississauga completed the corridor study for Dundas. It's the same sort of political interference that gave us the awful Transit City plan.

At least light rail is still being considered for Lakeshore East (last I heard anyways), though I think this should be part of the now-defunct Waterfront West LRT (ironically, the only sensible line in the original Transit City proposal).

This corridor would be useless as an LRT. The current bus GO and MiWay routes in this corridor serve Meadowvale, UTM, the airport, Malton, York U, Kipling/Islington Station, Union Station, and more. I don't see how you can replace this with LRT.

Maybe if the Mississauga Transitway were extended to York U, and/or the 407 Transitway, converting both Mississauga and 407 Transitways to light rail can be considered. But until then light rail seems pointless.

For an east-west LRT in Mississauga, Dundas East is a much better choice. It is extremely disappointing to me that Metrolinx already decided on BRT, a one-size-fits-all solution for all of Burlington/Oakville/Mississauga, even before the City of Mississauga completed the corridor study for Dundas. It's the same sort of political interference that gave us the awful Transit City plan.

At least light rail is still being considered for Lakeshore East (last I heard anyways), though I think this should be part of the now-defunct Waterfront West LRT (ironically, the only sensible line in the original Transit City proposal).

The numbers for ridership is basely GO riders as there not enough numbers for MT in this corridor to justify the line in the first place.

The only section of Dundas that can support LRT by numbers is east of Hurontario. Even Halton own numbers for 2020 only support buses, let alone BRT. You drive along it and you will see no real support for transit in the first place in Halton.

The reason Metrolinx downgraded Dundas to BRT was cost and dealing with the issue of changing mods at Hurontario. Then you would only have 30 minutes service west of Hurontario. The Dundas LRT was to interline with the Hurontario line to Sq One only.

You would have to build an elevated section at Mississauga Rd since the grade is too steep there for LRT.

Mississauga track gauge will be standard, not TTC. Therefore no interlining.

The Waterfront West LRT is a joke based on current TTC thinking. The line should run along the Lake Shore as per the 1992 EA plan all the way to Humber Bay where it connect to the Long Branch Line, not by the Queensway as per TTC Thinking. Even the new master plan for the waterfront area between Humber Bay and Dufferin St calls for LRT on the Lake Shore since it would better support the public domain lands in the first place. Taking the line east east of Dufferin St has too many issues under TTC plan as well an operation nightmare connecting to the Bay Tunnel line for the Bremmer connection. It would screw up both lines for the Queens Quay, especially the east QQ line. Even the developer saw no need for an LRT line along Bremmer and was force to build the space for future LRT by the city. They only wanted a single lane road there in the first place.

The master plan call or did call for connection to the 407 transit Line and could be updated at a future date to LRT. If you talk to the city rep as well the EA team, they will tell you the line can be upgraded to LRT.

Again, numbers aren't there to support a line to UTM. You will never be able to take the line south of UTM since 110 is really not needed there in the first place. I have yet to see more than 10 from/to UTM on this section regardless the time of the day as well the day of the week. Said that before 110 every hit the road and been proven right on the numbers.

Last edited:
The official word today that the transitway will not open until spring 2014.

This delay is caused by the contractor who will be back charge for failing to met the schedule timeline, as well the unknown date when the elevators will be in service.

The contractor has no control over the elevators and the new date should had no effected on his contract in the first place regardless. Rathburn is still not finish and it should have been done weeks ago. The sidewalk on Hurontario was supposed to be open in late July and most likely by the end of Sept.

Will know in the next month or so what is going on with Kipling.

Dufferin was awarded the extra work for phase III that is still not awarded yet and will fast track Phase III by 8 months. It is only for water and sewer work.

I'm not sure why people think the BRT won't take passengers to Kipling. Of course it will. Route 109 already does. It'll just get there faster with the BRT. Not quite sure why lies are being peddled in the Square One thread about the BRT.

It will take people to Kipling, but you were talking as though it is the only place it went, which it isn't. Buses will use the transit way to go all over the GTA. You also listed an overly long transfer list that leads me to believe that you don't really understand how this busway is even going to work.

The Transitway is a GO thing and will be used mostly by GO. I said this back in my 2004 EA report as well disputed the numbers come 2030. MT will have very few routes using this Transitway.

MT will run 100 (2015/16 start up) & 109 to Kipling. 107 and possible 110 will run to Renforth along with 24 using it. MT is looking at running a bus north on Dixie from Sq One as an express bus using the Transitway.

GO will run more routes not in service at this time that will fan out to various parts of the GTAH including one to Kipling and then to Union.

As for speed and being faster than the current system, it all depends on 427 and Dundas. Even using the shoulder lanes will have issues during the snow/ice days as well traffic issues.

A subway would be a faster connection to STC, but it wouldn't serve the same purpose of this transitway either. a MCC subway connection would be 11km long, or 15-17 minutes.

A subway would be a faster connection to STC, but it wouldn't serve the same purpose of this transitway either. a MCC subway connection would be 11km long, or 15-17 minutes.

I have always seen both the Sheppard Subway as well the Eglinton line ending up at MCC alone with the BD, but not in our life time.

The subways and the transitway play different roll and carry different loads. At this point of time, the transitway will never meet subway standards for ridership to justify one in the first place.

Max load at Renforth come 2030 for peak time is only 16,000, if that. Drops to 9,000 going west of MCC.

If an REX service MCC and doing the Crosstown GO Line, Subways fall off the board.

Back