Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

A ditch that facilitates direct connections between UTM, Square One, the Airport, York University, Richmond Hill Centre, Markham Centre, etc.
Sounds like the Spadina expressway ... sorry Allen Road they call it now I guess.

Ho hum, here we go again with another variation of Miss. being the "middle of nowhere". Suggestion to a few people who no doubt live south of Eglinton in Toronto: c'mon out to Mississauga. We are actually starting to build high-rise buildings in clusters these days!
Umm ... no. It wasn't a reference to Mississauga ... but the location of the transitway within Mississauga. Particularily along the barren wastlands of Eastgate ... where you don't see much pedestrian traffic, housing and commerce, along the roadway.

I'm very familiar with Mississauga ... and quite frankly that the transitway completely misses the core south of Square One is a disgrace ... with the whole development being something out of the 1970s or 1980 ... which is exactly what it is. The whole thing was cooked up before there was much of a core in Mississauga to get people too, and was more about getting people to Toronto. Which it also fails at, as any connection to the East is almost a decade or more away.

Last edited:
The Mississauga Transitway will be great for GO buses who will bypass half the (already reduced) stops there are. I can't really think of any local buses that benefit from it. And it remains to be seen whether the transitway will improve travel times to Kipling.

The Transitway has the possiblity to end up being great, but only if other systems connect to it. I think that more time and energy and money should have went into the LRT on Hurontario and Dundas first though.

Don't put the cart in front of the horse. Modally speaking, BRT ought to always precede LRT. The City of Mississauga can afford to build this now, why risk delaying the rollout of mass transit to MT customers by stretching out our hands and asking for more? The 403 BRT Transitway will have something Dundas LRT never can have: actual speed/time advantages for long-distance commuters. That crosstown trips from Winston Churchill to the Toronto border will not take hours to complete along the ever confusingly infrequent and meandering MT local bus routes will be a godsend for most commuters. LRT would be a poor substitution for that quality level of service knowing that its planners will design it to combine short-distance and long-distance trippers into the one line, thus inconveniencing both sets of transit users; the local residents from the removal of closeknit transit stops and the long-haulers whom will have their trip stopped-and-paused every few hundred metres when they're heading clear over to the other side of town.

--
Nfitz: they're building the Transitway where it is most affordable and timely to do so. If you think it took too long for things to get to this stage, just think how much longer the process will be while consultants try figuring which alignment is better; does expropriations, environmental assessments, etc. Besides the Transitway which interface directly with the Hurontario LRT which actually will loop around the urban core of MCC.

Nfitz: they're building the Transitway where it is most affordable and timely to do so. If you think it took too long for things to get to this stage, just think how much longer the process will be while consultants try figuring which alignment is better; does expropriations, environmental assessments, etc. Besides the Transitway which interface directly with the Hurontario LRT which actually will loop around the urban core of MCC.
Which is why I support going ahead with it; I'd be a fool to try and stop a fully-funded transit project that's about to start construction. I just wish they'd have had a more fully thought out plan from day 1, including connection to Kipling (which was part of earlier plans, and seems to have fallen off everyone's radar).

Final design drawing and construction timetable will be on display May 19 from 2-4pm and 6-8pm at Mississauga City Hall

Sounds like the Spadina expressway ... sorry Allen Road they call it now I guess.

I don't think the Spadina expressway was a bus only road and I don't think it was anywhere near most of the places I mentioned, but whatever you say.

I'm very familiar with Mississauga ... and quite frankly that the transitway completely misses the core south of Square One is a disgrace ....

The GO Trains miss most of Toronto's downtown core as well. What a disgrace. At least the Transitway will have two stations in MCC, twice as much as the GO Trains do in in Toronto's core. Btw, how many new stations does the entire $10 billion Transit City plan propose in either NYCC, SCC, ECC, Yonge-Eglinton Centre, or Downtown Toronto?

So they STILL haven't started this yet? Oy.

Cost was higher than expected. They are awaiting additional funding from the Feds, which are being as stingy as usual.

Seriously. Why is everything designed from scratch? TTC does it's own designs, Brampton it's own, York it's own. Geez, it's all just a basic road way designation, the same design can be used and re-used to speed up this ridiculous process. Just start building the bloody thing already. These things are way over-designed and the end result doesn't look innovative or spectacular just a basic BRT, not even to the same standards as Ottawa or Vancouver.

I don't think the Spadina expressway was a bus only road ...
I would have thought it would have been obvious to all but a few that my comment was about the ditch; not the mode of transport. Hence the use of the word ditch.

Construction begins today with Emperor Harper in town to officially green light the project

MISSISSAUGA—Stephen Harper was in Mississauga, Ont., today to mark the start of construction on a rapid transit project expected to ease congestion in the Greater Toronto Area.

The prime minister called the project that will see a dedicated bus corridor serve thousands of commuters each day the “public transit equivalent of a super highway.”

Construction began today on the previously announced Mississauga bus rapid transit project and is expected to be completed in 2013.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...mississauga-for-start-of-transit-project?bn=1

I would have thought it would have been obvious to all but a few that my comment was about the ditch; not the mode of transport. Hence the use of the word ditch.

Ditch like the Yonge Subway too. Whatever.

You compared it to an expressway for a reason and it is obvious to all but a few.

The bus corridor will run from Winston Churchill Boulevard to Renforth Drive parallel to Highway 403 and Eglinton Avenue.
It would connect with the Eglinton Crosstown LRT at that east point.

Wait a minute! 2013? The Eglinton Crosstown LRT will only go up to Jane Street in the west by 2018, and to the airport who knows when. Shouldn't the bus at least go express to Jane Street or the Spadina subway?

It would connect with the Eglinton Crosstown LRT at that east point.

Wait a minute! 2013? The Eglinton Crosstown LRT will only go up to Jane Street in the west by 2018, and to the airport who knows when. Shouldn't the bus at least go express to Jane Street or the Spadina subway?

Some buses will proceed from the Transitway onto the 427 toward Islington Station.

Ditch like the Yonge Subway too. Whatever.
I'd hardly think the Yonge subway ditch is a great thing for the city; we'd have been better off it if was covered. It was designed in the 1940s ... and at the same time they talked about a similar ditch along parts of Yonge street.

You compared it to an expressway for a reason and it is obvious to all but a few.
I compared it to an expressway, as much of it is along the old alignment for the expressway along Eastgate and Eglinton in Mississauga that will never be constructed. I'd have thought that was obvious.

So what were Harper's reasons for comparing it to a super-highway?

Last edited:

Back