Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

How about the 407 corridor for my proposed freight bypass? I make a better case on my blog (shameless self promotion - sorry:p)

As for the BRT suggestion... It doesn't have to be BRT. The transitway will move people from SQ1 to the subway faster, but it doesn't do anything for those three corridors, which are arguably the busiest after Dundas and Hurontario. They'll need to be addressed even after the transitway is complete.

How about the 407 corridor for my proposed freight bypass? I make a better case on my blog (shameless self promotion - sorry

Not sure if you're aware, but there's a study about that exact proposal at the Urban Affairs Library. I think it's a fantastic idea, but it really does seem unlikely in the current political climate.

Why did they laugh off the idea on another forum?

Not sure if you're aware, but there's a study about that exact proposal at the Urban Affairs Library. I think it's a fantastic idea, but it really does seem unlikely in the current political climate.

Why did they laugh off the idea on another forum?

They were CN employees

I think I'll have to make a run to the library...

Maybe Mississauga Transit should try some sort of Blue Night service before they upgrade to some sort of rapid transit service first.
If the Bloor-Danforth 300 or Eglinton West 307 ends up dumping people at 3 AM at a Mississauga Transit stop, it will be a l-o-n-g wait for the next bus into Mississauga. Unless they are able to catch a taxi.
Same for the rest of the 905ers, get a Blue Night service running first.

Back in 2003, I call for all night service on following route as ranking:

19, 26, 1, 5 and 13. They are a must from day one.

23, 42, 61, 38, 35, 39, 44, 7, 11, 45, 3 over time

The only problem, there would still be areas that will still see a 20+ minute walk to/from the bus stop to/from the rider door.

Service "must" be max 20 minutes after 1.30am to start of service.

This would see service starting a lot sooner than the 8:30-10am on Sunday that MT offer today.

Sooner or later, someone is going to haft to say we need to look at moving bypass transportation to its own roadway and away from cars.

As for moving RR into 407, it will offer some increase of moving bypassing trains from existing lines, but most trains do end up in Toronto to service the city.

The existing crosstown lines still have to service the remaining industries and hubs along the line. Look at the number of industries not service by rail today that were at one time. I have only seen one new industry build along the Lakeshore W line in the past 10 years that require rail spur. At the same time, I lost count the number of indusries that have had track removed or taken out of service.

Proccor sold haft their site and the new owner build a new 20 truck bay building next to the tracks last year. There is still room for more room to build more buildings.

No simple solution.

Some photo's of the display boards at City Hall today. Will be shown to the public in April.

It's turn out to be what I said it would be in my report back in 2003-4

2349176216_ca155fff79_b.jpg

2349178384_8a021d7380_b.jpg

2349177522_0af459d207_b.jpg

2349176924_efcff50ac6_b.jpg

2348341885_bbcbc7c6d2_b.jpg

Argh. They should have left some space at the Renforth station for an intermodal terminal: we could see the Eglinton LRT/Subway, three busways (this one, the 427 North, and the hydro corridor), and perhaps the Airport tram.

It's short-sighted not to see the big picture, and Metrolinx should be involved in this process.

Argh. They should have left some space at the Renforth station for an intermodal terminal: we could see the Eglinton LRT/Subway, three busways (this one, the 427 North, and the hydro corridor), and perhaps the Airport tram.

It's short-sighted not to see the big picture, and Metrolinx should be involved in this process.

i agree with you, but in their defense, the busway has been on the planning books long before Metrolinx was even a glimmer in the premier's eye. The current plan dates back to 1992.

The Renforth station looks like it be huge, even larger than the bus terminal at Square One, so I don't see how you say they not planning ahead...

i agree with you, but in their defense, the busway has been on the planning books long before Metrolinx was even a glimmer in the premier's eye. The current plan dates back to 1992.

Actually the plan in 1992 was to connect to the Eglinton subway. That was originally the whole point of the BRT... The plan you see now is actually a modified version of the 2004 plan, which is designed to integrate with GO instead of the TTC. And since by all reports the TC Eglinton LRT will be on the street instead grade-separated, it will not make any difference.

Yeah, Red Rocket, don't back down. You're absolutely right about it, and it's a good idea. Back when there was talk of merging CN and CP's eastern operations, there were serious studies about rationalizing freight traffic in Toronto. Most of it was about shifting CP traffic from the Galt/North Toronto/Belleville subs to the CN Halton/York subs. Obviously that's an excellent idea, though I can't see CP willingly giving up its own route through the city in favour of sharing with a competitor since the merger is off the table. It also wouldn't solve the problems that you mentioned in downtown Brampton. Perhaps two separate CN and CP tracks in the same corridor, including new route to the west along the 407, would be best. Getting down to Agincourt yard would be a pain, so perhaps CP could build a new one. Their existing yard site in the Vaughan Enterprise Zone seems like the best bet.

Or alternatively, Metrolinx could negotiate with CN and CP where they would sell railway infrastructure to Metrolinx for $1, where CN and CP freight trains could use the shared freight bypass for free for a certain number of years and be banished from within the bypass.

Thanks for the warm everyone :) It's by no means a polished proposal - I only meant it to be something to think about.

It's actually talked about in the Moving Goods and Services Green Paper, but only in passing - so at least its on the radar.

Back