Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

A typical TR train uses 3,100 kW of electricity when travelling at maximum power output. Normally this doesn't happen, and when the trains are breaking, they generate electricity for the system. We'll assume 2,000 kW of electricity are used on average, and the price of electricity is 13.2 cents per kWh during peak times. We'll assume this to be conservative

That's not a remotely conservative assumption, it's a massively generous one. Commercial organizations and personal households pay VERY differently for electricity. For one, businesses that have very high peak power draw, such as 3100kW from a single TR train at peak load never mind the total draw from all 4 subway lines and the many streetcar lines, pay both for amount of electricity used, and for how fast they use it, i.e. when they exceed certain thresholds of power draw their price goes higher and higher. I guarantee the TTC pays a whole lot more than $0.13/kWh for the subway and streetcar networks' electricity even during off-peak, never mind peak.

That's not a remotely conservative assumption, it's a massively generous one. Commercial organizations and personal households pay VERY differently for electricity. For one, businesses that have very high peak power draw, such as 3100kW from a single TR train at peak load never mind the total draw from all 4 subway lines and the many streetcar lines, pay both for amount of electricity used, and for how fast they use it, i.e. when they exceed certain thresholds of power draw their price goes higher and higher. I guarantee the TTC pays a whole lot more than $0.13/kWh for the subway and streetcar networks' electricity even during off-peak, never mind peak.

I would think that since they buy in bulk, are considered an essential service, are a governmnet agency, and use their own distribution systems (they still have to tap into main lines, but don't have to deal with residential cables), that prices would actually be lower that $0.13/kWh, even during peak times. Also, peak period rates are only apply between 7-11, and 17:00-19:00. That's 6 hours out of the 19 hour day for the TTC. Business rates according to Toronto Hydro, are the exact same as residential rates. The number of watts they use within a short timeframe, there's a potential argument there. However, it really only applies to peak periods and even with that I can find no information on extra costs assoicated with such usage. I used that high 0.13 cost for all electricity used by thte TTC. However, let's increase it to $0.20 per kWh during peak times, we find the following cost usages per subway line:

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 12.33.51 PM.png

Lines 1 and 2 have much less money available per station because transfers were not included (as was with sheppard before; there are 300,000 transfers between those two lines, however, of those transferring, people tend to use the Line 2 for more stations and to cover more distance than Line 1. In actuality, they actually only have about $4,700-8000 per station to pay for mantainance and the running of stations. Line 1 makes the most per station and Line 4 the least, however, line 4 is the newest and least used, therefore mantainance and cleaning costs are much less. Escalators can even be slowed or turned off during midday to save money. On line 1, mantainance costs for the tunnels are huge, so this increased value will likely pay for quite a bit of mantainance (Assuming a station/small tunnel section is always under construction. You'd have to pay 5 construction workers for 8 hours of work, so 1,200$ (include overnight costs and it increases to about 1,600, but that's including capital costs like signal uprades). Assuming construction materials are another 1000-2000 dollars per day (So about a million dollars a year in upkeep costs per station. It's probably more, but even then, we've barely scratched the budget per station).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 12.33.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 12.33.51 PM.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 530
Time to move TTC Stuff to TTC Catch all thread, as it has nothing to do with this thread at all.

I personally have never seen Miway buses get delayed for an unreasonable amount of time at SQ1. Not too sure about Zum

Zum 502 at Square One is regularly held up by passengers boarding. On December 64th it took about 9 minutes to board everyone (according to my rough estimates).

...how does it take 9 minutes to board a bus? I can understand a couple minutes, but 9?
and is the 9 minutes (or however long it takes) built into the schedule?

I often board a 501 at the DT Brampton terminal and, yes, with just front door loading it can take a few minutes to get all the people waiting on the bus....but, then, magically the bus has to sit and wait a few minutes until the scheduled departure time arrives.

Less important than how long it takes to load the bus is whether the loading is impacting the scheduled departure time and, then, the arrival at the rest of the stops along the way.

...how does it take 9 minutes to board a bus? I can understand a couple minutes, but 9?
I wouldn't be surprise if the extra time was to get riders out of the bitter cold and part of the layover time. I have seen buses sit for a number of minutes after arriving and loading before departing on the driver schedule time. This also applies to MT 100's as well, unless they are behind schedule.

No big deal.

There a report going to General Committee on Jan 17 calling for a new Transit Hub where the Playdium Amusement Centre is currently located, as while the LRT, Transitway, transit and the Milton Line.

I have being calling for a new hub for 15 years in a new location to handle both MT, BT and GO service as well 150,000 riders a day. Current terminal was built for 25,000 and expanded to 50,000, not including GO service.

Starts on page 5
Mississauga Matters: Summary of Priority Issues and Engagement Strategy for the 2018 Provincial Election

Starts page 104
Province of Ontario - Dedicated Gas Tax Funds for Public Transportation Program

It would be long overdue for Mississauga. I was surprised a hub wasnt being built when GO started to create their "terminal" at Square One.

What I dont understand is why the current City Centre Transit Terminal on the southside cant be expanded further by taking some land from Oxford on the west side. That parking lot is barely used if ever, and i'm sure Oxford is just holding it until some kind of residential development takes form there.

Agreed, it is very much overdue. I see no stations issue with the Proposed new location. I would take the whole playdium property and turn it into a real transportation hub. On the northside of property transitway, LRT on south side. Miway and Go go into the hub from station gate Rd and finally get all the buses off the sides of the road.

The way the whole existing area for transit is setup is confusing. Imagine for people going there for there first time.
CC1E23C2-C992-4C18-B959-F9607873BFA3.png

I guess they scraped the Mavis station too, as I don’t see it one there map diagram.

Attachments

• CC1E23C2-C992-4C18-B959-F9607873BFA3.png
    CC1E23C2-C992-4C18-B959-F9607873BFA3.png
    478.6 KB · Views: 494

This is great, and overdue. It will be interesting to watch it going forward. That southwest corner of the Hurontario/403 interchange is going to be a hell of an engineering challenge. You got the on- and off-ramps, a T-junction for the LRT, a grade-separated east-west transitway, and a creek all in one tiny area.

Also, what are the proposed roads on the north side of the 403?

This is great, and overdue. It will be interesting to watch it going forward. That southwest corner of the Hurontario/403 interchange is going to be a hell of an engineering challenge. You got the on- and off-ramps, a T-junction for the LRT, a grade-separated east-west transitway, and a creek all in one tiny area.

Also, what are the proposed roads on the north side of the 403?
There is to be a north service road west of Hurontario with a Transit ROW from the east side of Duke of York to Erin Mills that was removed due to cost of building it as well NIMBY folks during the building of the current Transitway.

With the LRT going over 403 on the west side of Hurontario, it going to have a major impact for all locations how everything is going to fit and work together.

Back