Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

Give me a break. One can't compare compare ANY city on the planet to Paris. Plus Toronto is a great city. An interesting city. It is not at all tacky in comparison to many cities. Toronto is constantly listed as one of the best places in the world to live and have a great life. Toronto is a safe and diverse city. Toronto is not a city of blight. This city has improved immensely in the last few decades in all categories. Our condo designs and architecture have room for improvement but we are lucky enough to be in a place where there is so much going on in a positive way.
Plus on top of all that I still think that Honest Ed's was an eyesore.

Um, you forgot "World-Class."
O/T: I lament (sort of) the removal of Eds not because it was a go-to Toronto experience (honestly, I personally never bought a thing there) but that it represents a Toronto that is being erased every day. You and your ilk may love the bland and corporate bedroom community that this town is turning into but some of us don't. A couple of decades back (and let's face it, Toronto likely peaked circa 1989 ;)) there were bands playing in bars and cool restaurants (before the Instagram/food 'scene') and shops and there was always shit to do, even in the sleepy Annex (yeah, I know Lee's is still there...) I wasn't actually comparing Bloor and Bathurst to Paris. But I would argue that there is a dearth of 'good taste' here, hence my suggestion that the town leans a bit tacky. Maybe a better word is 'inelegant.' Judges will also accept 'cheesy' and 'skeevy.'

^

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/fa/fa87a4aa3343c8063a073e8f11be03b29c8f12e7e1973f5b4f6808bf4e0760fd.jpg
fa87a4aa3343c8063a073e8f11be03b29c8f12e7e1973f5b4f6808bf4e0760fd.jpg

Ilk is casting a broad stroke and is condescending and not a real conversation. I'm sure you can do better than that. Can't wait for this to go up!

Not a lot of visually significant progress in the past week or so now that the main buildings are down. Interestingly they have removed all of the what looked like fairly permanent hoarding along the Bathurst side of the site.
IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 565
Yup, I suspected they would have moved on to the rest of the site. Still lots of smaller scale demolition to do. Once they have dug out the old foundations I imagine we will see shoring soon, too.

A couple of decades back (and let's face it, Toronto likely peaked circa 1989 ;)) there were bands playing in bars and cool restaurants (before the Instagram/food 'scene') and shops and there was always shit to do, even in the sleepy Annex (yeah, I know Lee's is still there...) I wasn't actually comparing Bloor and Bathurst to Paris. But I would argue that there is a dearth of 'good taste' here, hence my suggestion that the town leans a bit tacky. Maybe a better word is 'inelegant.' Judges will also accept 'cheesy' and 'skeevy.'

Toronto is finally growing into itself today and it's wonderful to watch it unfold. I'm not sure what rose tinted glasses you are looking through, but I've lived here my whole adult life and Toronto used to be nothing more than a giant soulless suburb, and considered a VERY distant cousin to the energy and culture of places like Montreal, New York, and Chicago.

As the city grows, you will see positive and negative, but there are amazing communities developing in all this too ... just take a walk down to Leslieville if you want to see what I'm talking about. And as for things to do, there has never been more variety and cultural diversity in the city ... as opposed to what you remember from the 'good old days' when people spent their evenings at a local O'Tools, drinking as much as they could as fast as they could due to super early last call. I travel a lot, and at least to me, Toronto feels like it has finally matured into a truly world class city.

As a final note, I also find it humorous that you are admonishing Toronto for a lack of taste and too much tackiness at the same time as lamenting the loss of Honest Eds.

It doesn' feel like the Annex atm. I did the same thing last week walking to work and was stunned. I'm all for the redevelopment, but it will take a bit to get used to. This is a great anchor to convince people that Bathurst needs more density than a couple kilometres of 2-3 storey houses and retail.

It's about time the neighbourhood will have a proper focal point since that area is between two distinct parts of the city.

I walk by there frequently and have been watching it come down piece by piece. I was never sentimental about the place but the intersection has a very strange empty vibe now- it really defined that part of Boor. I am looking forward to what is proposed though.

Back