Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

Good rundown, thanks for that! Pretty balanced.

Seems like many locals are still pretty fiercely opposed to proposed heights. I wonder how much further the tallest buildings would have to be chopped before the majority would be on board with this project.

Many of the speakers said that they felt the appropriate height for this property was nine or ten storeys. Though I'm sure even if the towers were cut down to that height, there would be calls to limit them to five or six storeys, and then to strictly no more than four, because that's how these things go.

My favourite was the speaker who felt that this proposal would overwhelm transit in the area, claiming that the subway was already at capacity and couldn't handle the extra ridership. Honestly, from a transit perspective, I can't think of many places better than Bloor and Bathurst to put 1,000 new housing units.

While I'll miss Honest Ed's I love how the planning is coming along.

I realize it's not practical to do anything with the current Honest Ed's sigjn, but it would be great if they could create a replica and use it as an entrance to one of the streets or park.

Really hoping that this project can go forward soon. It is a thoughtful design that will provide nice public spaces, significant heritage preservation, retail spaces of varying sizes that will more than compensate for what is being lost, and best of all, purpose built rental housing in a neighborhood that desperately needs it. Does anyone know how long it is likely to be? Is this going to OMB? How long can this be held up for? I'm hoping demo and construction can start soon after the February closure.

BlogTO did an article about the closure of all the businesses in Mirvish Village on Markham street, and people are losing their shit over it...

Back