Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

As much as I too think Avenue mid-rises is the direction we should really try going for in most of the city, this location is an underdeveloped node on the edge of downtown and this is perfectly suitable plan.

Bloor already has a subway line, and it is no accident that Bathurst is next up to get the new streetcars AND was the first (along with Dufferin? can't quite remember) bus route to get the new articulated buses.

Last edited:
Bathurst is an under-performing street density wise, so it's great that they're trying to bring pedestrian traffic onto Bathurst by having fine grain commercial on the east side (this was mentioned by Henriquez at the consultation).

Unfortunately, I don't think the micro towers work at the proposed height, but we'll hopefully see some storeys lopped off.

Last edited:
Just wondering what is Toronto's problem with tall buildings? Bathurst and Bloor to me is still considered downtown and a 40, 30 and 20 storeys is a midrise to me. How did the financial towers get built? Our skyline is getting so vancouverised and everything is getting blocked there is no variation in height or design. Manhattanise not Vancouverise Please, Bring on Manhattanization.

Okay back on topic, the proposal to me looks a bit 80's and tacky, but I love the height, only to bring in more proprsals that are heigher in the future. I don't like farmers markets and craft stores, makes me feel like I am in a little western town in the wild wild west... Eeek and our overhead wires in this city.

Gotcha. You don't like farmers markets and craft stores - let's blow them up for you! After all, you know best.

I don't like farmers markets and craft stores, makes me feel like I am in a little western town in the wild wild west.

On the contrary, there is nothing more urban. You'd never find a Kensington, St. Lawrence, or Union Square for that matter in a little western town.

The real mystery is why urbantoronto.ca isn't featuring this as a front page story? Smile.

Everything takes time, and it's on the front page now! The dataBase file has been published too, linked at the top of the page, with lots of renderings.

I had no idea that Hume had such a chip in his shoulder about planning staff. From the article:

lol Have you never read an article by Hume? The guy sounds like a newsprint version of the constant whinging on this site.

lol Have you never read an article by Hume? The guy sounds like a newsprint version of the constant whinging on this site.

Hume has been around a long time. He's seen how many bad ideas have been green-lighted and how many great ideas have been ruined or watered-down by the planning bureaucracy.

The fact is, Westbank & Henriquez is proposing an urbanism that is much more sophisticated and forward-thinking than has probably ever seen proposed by a developer in Toronto. I don't think Hume has much faith that the planners and NIMBYs will be able to stop themselves from sacking something so completely outside their frame of reference.

Front page story number two, looking at the scale model and the relative scale of the proposal, is here.

I'm not going to get into the discussion on height, since that always seems to make people angry around here (who knows, even this comment might start a fight!) but I'd just like to say that everything else about the project is amazing! I've been looking for something like this to be built in Toronto and I'm glad it's finally (hopefully) happening. I'd go so far as to say that this type of development should become the new model for large-lot developers in the city. It allows for height, window coverage (no issue with lot lines) and a diverse/interesting streets-scape. The fact that it does it all without the need for a podium warrants it an A+ in my books.

I'd go so far as to say that the other aspects of this project (materials, general design) are unimportant compared to the wider idea. The project is a success in its built form, and right now that enough for me!

Back