Toronto Mirvish Village (Honest Ed's Redevelopment) | 85.04m | 26s | Westbank | Henriquez Partners

😵

Time for city to stop allowing this. Reminds of the absolute crap art allowed for Uptown condos on Balmuto st (the window frames at street level; art is fine, absolutely weak component and should not qualify.)
It was Crystal Blue, not Uptown. Or, as old heads will remember the duo: Cruptal Blown.

Surprised you didn't mention the ultimate public-art-dog: Cinema Tower.

It was Crystal Blue, not Uptown. Or, as old heads will remember the duo: Cruptal Blown.

Surprised you didn't mention the ultimate public-art-dog: Cinema Tower.

No, it was Uptown – Crystal blu has those silly cut-out glass shards in the precast, and Uptown has the window frames with a bas-relief image stamped in them that's somehow supposed to count as public art.

(We're not gonna talk about the flintstones entrance at cinema tower that i secretly kinda like because it's goofy)

Taken 22 July.

IMG_5638.jpeg
IMG_5639.jpeg

To be clear, I am not opposed to artists using cladding as their medium...

...but it may set precedents for the likes of Kirkor and G+C to do weird things like this. And not in a good way. >.<

No, it was Uptown – Crystal blu has those silly cut-out glass shards in the precast, and Uptown has the window frames with a bas-relief image stamped in them that's somehow supposed to count as public art.

(We're not gonna talk about the flintstones entrance at cinema tower that i secretly kinda like because it's goofy)
Maybe I'm losing it in my old age (and admittedly I did think OP was talking about the crystal 'reveals' on Cruptal), but what bas-relief is there on Uptown?

1721747651684.png

Maybe I'm losing it in my old age (and admittedly I did think OP was talking about the crystal 'reveals' on Cruptal), but what bas-relief is there on Uptown?

This is what makes it so crummy! It's the frames and mullions of the ground-floor windows. If you zoom waaaaay in on streetview you can just about make it out:

Screen Shot 2024-07-23 at 11.41.40 AM.png

I believe it is meant to be an art piece by Ian Wallace
Cool. Glad to see a not-so-serious take on what otherwise could have been flat, featureless spandrel panel. This is some whimsy and humour at work in a city that is mostly too serious and unimaginative. Bring on more flights or whimsy more often please!

Back