Toronto Mirabella Condominiums | 120m | 38s | Mirabella Dev Corp | Scott Shields

Firstly, waaaaay too dense.

secondly, I don't understand how the Section 37 allocation is worked out. A large chunk is set aside for non-profit child-care families, but none for the local schools. This development would naturally lie in the catchment for Swansea PS. Swansea school is already at 120% capacity, and the kids from NXT are being bussed to Humbercrest PS (up Jane St., almost as far as Dundas St. W.) The cost of the bussing is picked up by the TDSB. An addition is to be built onto Swansea, but the current budget is $11m and only $8m has been set aside for it. A development with 283 2 bedroom units is going to add further pressure to situation, but none of the Section 37 money goes to provide space in the school for the children who will move into the area. Almost all of the Section 37 projects are wants, but school space is a need. What is the role of the City Councillor in drawing up the list and is there a mechanism to get some of this money diverted to necessary community infrastructure?

I'm not sure that Section 37 funds are ever used for schools. Just about everything else, yes, including playgrounds, etc., but the school boards are supposed to make do with their own dedicated tax sources, if I have that right…

Here are the city's Section 37 guidelines... see p. 22-23. Contributions for capital construction of school buildings aren't eligible, but could be used for costs that go towards community services on school property like day care space, recreation, program space, improved playgrounds etc. Funding playgrounds and child care at schools is popular... but like i42 said school boards have their own funding system for new schools.

http://www1.toronto.ca/staticfiles/...g/sipa/files/pdf/s37_consolidation_080117.pdf

I'm no shadowing expert but contrary to what Doucette says I didn't think parks to the south would be shadowed.

Actually…

because of the angle that Toronto is on, and especially here at Humber Bay where you're dealing with the curve around it, everything that seems "south" is not exactly south. Our east-west streets are about 17° off of actual east-west, so the sun sets further "north" (and casts shadows further "south") than people normally expect based on believing our grid is better aligned to the cardinal points of the compass.

Summer late afternoons and evenings before sunset, the parks and beach areas to the southeast would definitely be affected by these towers, although not for a particularly long period each day. In any case, the parks would not be affected during the time of day when people might be there to sun-worship, so anyone out frying their skin will still be able to fry away.

1926.jpg

From a few days back.

Attachments

• 1926.jpg
    1926.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 735
I'm glad that it wasn't approved by the City at the current heights, and I hope at the OMB. It would make sense to have a couple of towers lower than NXT (so they slope away towards the lake) and consist of small units (max. one bed) to discourage families in the absence of community infrastructure to support the education of children in the area.

Talk about an eager beaver :roll eyes:

http://www.1926lakeshore.ca

If you scroll down on that page, you'll notice some exaggerated photos. Apparently, the future residents of this project will have access to a daily large cruise ship waiting for them. This beats Palace Pier's shuttle service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very funny. For those who think a developer has gone too far rearranging Toronto for the sake of putting Dundas Square Gardens in context, this realtor has gone way beyond that in terms of trying to promise a certain lifestyle here. Tacky.

Back