Toronto Minto775 King West | ?m | 17s | Minto Group | Hariri Pontarini

There is a big orange and black sign in the window of the sales centre today saying that they are rejiggering the layouts and are doing a relaunch March 2009.

The Minto King West project is being redesigned and split into two seperate smaller buildings to allow for a phasing of the sales, financing and construction. This will become a more common strategy this year as developers weather the economic storm. This strategy will result in fewer of the larger 'mega-projects' coming onto the market in 2009/10 that have previously been launched with strong levels of success in recent years.

The Minto King West project is being redesigned and split into two seperate smaller buildings to allow for a phasing of the sales, financing and construction. This will become a more common strategy this year as developers weather the economic storm. This strategy will result in fewer of the larger 'mega-projects' coming onto the market in 2009/10 that have previously been launched with strong levels of success in recent years.

this could be a great thing for those whom don't want to live in 'mega-plexes' that have more than 300 units per tower ...

I remember 6-7 years ago the average was about 250 units per bldg, in recent year the norm seems to be 400+ unit per bldg ... Aura was 900+ units, and I think similar #s applied to 1BE, ICE was pretty high too I think

this could be a great thing for those whom don't want to live in 'mega-plexes' that have more than 300 units per tower ...

I remember 6-7 years ago the average was about 250 units per bldg, in recent year the norm seems to be 400+ unit per bldg ... Aura was 900+ units, and I think similar #s applied to 1BE, ICE was pretty high too I think

I'm one of those who'd rather not live in a megaplex. I don't need an amenities complex or a pool or a sweeping two-storey lobby. I just want the sidewalks salted, the elevators to be working and the loading dock free of somebody's junk.

More mid-rise infill, please.

Even mid-rise buildings can be jammed full of units. Fashion House has around 350 in total - and is to be just fourteen floors.

But then walk-in closets pass as studio units these days.

I guess it depends on what you find comfortable. I have a 1+ at 630 square feet and i find it too big for 1 person (would be fine for 2). If you look at what's happening in the US home building market, mcmansions are out and all the new product is at least 1000 sqft less than previous units. Granted that's still pretty large.

I think Minto is beyond foolish to reopen right now. They need to wait at least a year or 2 as 2009 will make 2008 seem like a good memory in terms of employment, RE, earnings, stock market, hell...just about everything. My prediction is that we wont see mid-2008 condo prices again until maybe 2012...if we're lucky...and i don't like that cause i'll want to sell sometime in there!

Signage just installed at the sales centre announces new model suites opening in March 09.

Anyone see or hear anything about this project?
There was an ad in the Condo Guide announcing the re-opening but I haven't heard any updates.

Anyone see or hear anything about this project?

I saw this today as I was walking home. It looks like someone blacked out the word "Spring" in "Spring 2009" on the Tecumseth side, but on the King side it still says Spring. Not really sure what the deal is. Maybe the (re)launch is delayed? Sorry about the crap image quality...cellphone camera.

IMG00011-20090308-1628.jpg

Minto King West re-launch and survey

mkw_r2_c2.gif

I received an email asking to fill a survey in preparation for spring launch:

http://www.mintokingwest.com/survey/

The survey itself is a bit awkward to use and does not show a lot of creativity, rather, same options shuffled. I did not get the feeling the developer is trying to create an outstanding project or legacy.

The last paragraph reveals:

31. MintoKingWest will be ideally situated in the desirable downtown neighbourhood of King West at Tecumseth and King Street. Finished to high standards of workmanship with quality finishes and amenities, right downtown with dynamic restaurants and shopping in the area and only minutes from the Gardiner and DVP, this 12-storey development will include 145 condominiums ranging in size from 650 to 1,200 square feet. The building will be ready for occupancy late 2011.

Thanks Mike and Yossi.

An occupancy for late 2011 of a 12-storey building with 145 condominiums is unrealistic ... I wish builders would be more truthful/realistic as I believe late 2012 would be more like it.

Sales haven't even begun and I surmise that it may take at least a year to reach 70% sold in today's environment and sales absorption rate unless they are very aggressive and competitive with their pricing (ie. < $350 PSF)

I always fill out these sales centre surveys in such a manner as to promote my agenda of sustainability -- 2/3+ bedroom units suitable for families ;)

mkw_r2_c2.gif

anyone have updates for this one?
Their website is still under construction with '2 new model suites coming soon' ...

Back