Toronto Minto775 King West | ?m | 17s | Minto Group | Hariri Pontarini

The brickwork is a welcome feature along the stretch of King Street and ties into the neighbouring Gotham Lofts very nicely.
The brick is actually laid by hand here, unlike the fake precasted panels seen at the Yards at Fort York and a number of buildings in Liberty Village.

It's too bad that we don't see brick used as much in condos these days, especially in larger developments.
Developers would rather save money by using spandrel instead which is unfortunate.

It's too bad that we don't see brick used as much in condos these days, especially in larger developments.
Developers would rather save money by using spandrel instead which is unfortunate.

I agree, gee i was actually surprised the other day when i walked by to see bricklayers on scafolding bricking this building

Pic taken Oct 15, 2012

X2A19.jpg

I'm liking how much of a wide berth this one is giving to the street. Hopefully they don't clutter up that extra sidewalk space with overly-large plantings like the Summit building next door to the east. The trees are nice to have, but the planters are huge!

What do you mean? It has brick, real brick and it's not grey or black brick.
Just wait until the railings are installed and the hoarding removed, it will look look much better.

What do you mean? It has brick, real brick and it's not grey or black brick.
Just wait until the railings are installed and the hoarding removed, it will look look much better.

It IS boring...but boring can also be good. It's a nice looking project just not spectacular..which is fine.

It has way too much dreary grey spandrel.

The red brick should wrap around the Tecumseh streetwall to create a signature corner matching the red brick corner across the street.

Balconies should not be on the podium level--fussy mess waiting to happen--a clean crisp streetwall is desirable.

Red brick looks like a fake facade, not a cohesive look of the building--see Ideal Lofts, MoZo, even the King East on how to do this correctly.

Are the CRU double height or tiny shallow boxes doomed to the Rabbas of the world?

Fabulous Printing Inc-the condo edition--will hopefully cover up the bland side of the building soon.

Not uncommon for some not to want to sell.

Agreed - that is my understanding in this case. After Paul Wolf Electric Supply site was sold, development was held up for an period of time when attempts were made to acquire the Fabulous Printing property at 72 Tecumseth for consolidation with the rest of the site. The owner was just not interested in selling. Finally plans were prepared to redevelop the former Wolf Electric site, not including, but working around the print shop land.

It's conservative in a good way. It's not spectacular, but it does its job: it furthers the streetwall and blends into its neighbours. It's the Toyota Camry of condos.

Back