Toronto Minto Westside | 68.88m | 20s | Minto Group | Wallman Architects

I am a purchaser in Reve (same architect) of a suite overlooking the park, closing next month and was actually hoping the development of Minto Freed would actually have a taller tower at the corner of Front and Bathurst- like 30 plus stories or whatever. I couldn’t care less about the height on that site as it’s a prominent corner. What's the big deal?
How refreshing to hear from a nearby resident who is more concerned with the built form of their neighbourhood than trying to preserve their shitty view over a parking lot.

How refreshing to hear from a nearby resident who is more concerned with the built form of their neighbourhood than trying to preserve their shitty view over a parking lot.

So true.

This whole thing is funny to me though.

In most cases:

- prospective buyer visits sales center for super lux large scale condo that's taller than any other building in the area.
- purchases unit with great view
- moves into unit
- hears that view will be blocked by the construction of a building similar to the one they bought
- creates website crying about the project beign too large!!!

It annoys me how people move into a developing neigbourhood not giving a *expletive* about the views their project are blocking, but once their views are compromised they want to get on their NIMBY soap box and scream bloody murder.

Complete nonsense.

mind you ... Scottish Sensibilities does represent a biased opinion:

I am a purchaser in Reve (same architect) of a suite overlooking the park,

although they bought a unit in Reve, their unit is not directly affected by any future buildings on the Freed/Minto site since they overlook the park to the north rather than the development site to the west (unlike about 50% of the Reve), in the latter case I'm sure their opinion / comments would be very different ... afterall there is an element of self-interest here, what doesn't negative affect oneself is never a problem

although they bought a unit in Reve, their unit is not directly affected by any future buildings on the Freed/Minto site since they overlook the park to the north rather than the development site to the west (unlike about 50% of the Reve), in the latter case I'm sure their opinion / comments would be very different ... afterall there is an element of self-interest here, what doesn't negative affect oneself is never a problem

Right, but seeing as how he lives in Reve he would certainly have neighbours or friends that might openly voice their opinions. If anything he has a much better take on it than those of us (such as myself) that dont live in the neighbourhood. that entire building [reve] could be in a "who the hell cares" state of mind for all we know

People might be interested to know that there is a neighbourhood group made up of residents and businesses called the Wellington Place Neighbourhood Association. It was formed long before Rev was even a glimmer in a developer's eye. The purpose of this group is to a) work on improvements to public spaces such as Victoria Memorial Square and then Wellington Street linear park boulevard and, b) work with the City AND developers to ensure that new development (which is not opposed) is in keeping with the mixed-use medium density envisioned in the City's Official Plan. This is the group (in association with Niagara Neighbourhood Now that represents the residents and businesses on the west side of Bathurst) that is opposed to the current Minto Freed plan (but not to development of the site). The goals is to build a neighbourhood that has value for residents, businesses and developers. To say this is an example of nimbisim is really to show no understanding of the history of this neighbourhood. Come down and have a look.

And check out this article in The Grid
http://www.thegridto.com/city/local...idents-fight-to-stop-minto-freed-development/

To say this is an example of nimbisim is really to show no understanding of the history of this neighbourhood. Come down and have a look.
To say this ISNT an example of NIMBYism shows no understanding of the term. You are essentially saying "not in my back yard" except throwing in a twist that this neighbourhoods history is significant (hmmm you mean like all of downtown?) Neighbourhoods are rezoned every week and this city is growing at an exponential rate. I understand the point of view that people are opposed to tall buildings in their neighbourhood (aka back yard)....but saying this isnt NIMBYism is laughable at the least.

(yay 1st angry condescending post)

Using epithets like NIMBY really doesn't contribute in any meaningful way to a discussion about urban planning issues. It's not the historic issue and no one is saying that - there are several well designed and appropriate NEW developments in this community. It's the issue of planning. In fact re-zoning applications don't happen every week. It's about development that is appropriate. In fact there are areas like the railways lands that are not historic and have seen exponential growth. Should this be the model for all of the City?

Using epithets like NIMBY really doesn't contribute in any meaningful way to a discussion about urban planning issues. It's not the historic issue and no one is saying that - there are several well designed and appropriate NEW developments in this community. It's the issue of planning. In fact re-zoning applications don't happen every week. It's about development that is appropriate. In fact there are areas like the railways lands that are not historic and have seen exponential growth. Should this be the model for all of the City?

it should be the model for downtown. a long as it A) doesnt ruin a view terminus B) doesnt look like crap C) doesnt involve demolition of modification of a heritage structure. whats worse?? a crisp new condo or the wasteland bathurst and front has been for years?? The only thing that i am hearing negative about this development is the height. and do you reeaaaaallly think you have a chance of stopping it? i mean seeing as how the (taller) minto midtown had to get past all the angry rich people and still ended up being built..in an uptown neighbourhood too....chances for stopping this are pretty slim. If i lived downtown, i would be picking my battles. and building heights would be the least of my concerns. This is the last negative comment i plan on making but an epithet like NIMBY, although generally used in the pejorative context, is PERFECTLY fitting for a community group fighting something they dont like "in their back yard".

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong project but I don't see that any of the objections to this proposal are are about a) blocking the view b)looking like crap, c) demolition of a historic building. I guess it's easier to lump it all together as the objections "rich people". I'd urge anyone to come down and have a look at the diversity of the neighbourhood.

^
exactly my point. theres nothing wrong with the proposal besides the fact a few naysayers are afraid a couple tall buildings will ruin the diversity of their neighbourhood. you must have not taken the time to read my post. those a, b and c points were reasons a building should not be built. None of those reasons apply to this proposal. and my reference to "rich people" in opposition to tall buildings was referring to yonge and eglinton CERTAINLY not bathurst and front. another sign u did not take the time to read my post. What is your groups problem with height? You paint your concerns as culture, diversity and history related, yet all i can comprehend from your posts is an opposition to height. Your keep saying "come down and have a look". I have been to bathurst and front many times recently and all i see is an area in the midst of modernization. What really gets me is that you seem to have joined UT specifically as an outlet to spread your nimby rhetoric for your own personal gain.
I hope it gets built nimbys or not.

Last edited:
With Whole Foods and other higher end retail proposed for the ground level, this development will increase values for neighbouring properties. I predict Freed\Minto asking $650-$750 PSF for these units.

I have been to bathurst and front many times recently and all i see is an area in the midst of modernization.

Mid-Towner, if you do not see any difference between this area and other parts of Downtown, then I don't want you having any planning-say in my city. Wellington Place is developing far differently from CityPlace, differently from Bay Street, differently from the Entertainment District, different from Bloor-Yorkville. Why do you want to apply the same rules over all of these different areas? Are you simply not perceptive enough to see how these areas differ? Seems not.

The world's not black and white, and cannot be simplified down to Downtown vs. everything else. This is a transitional area, and we want buildings that, while still bringing more density, will enhance our mid-rise ambiance, not overwhelm it.

awwwww widdlebittykitty, how adorable. I do see see a difference between this area and the rest of downtown. The area in question is obviously houses and lowrises, but to say this area is transitional and will always be that way, doesnt reflect the growth patterns of Toronto. Downtown is growing, the core is shifting west, and i am not the one responsible so you dont have to worry about me planning "your" city

Back