Toronto Minto Midtown | 160.01m | 52s | Minto Group | Zeidler

The seating area is so 2000s. Makes me think of an episode of AbFab where Eddie's mum, watching an old and rather risqué home-movie, says something like 'how did I ever think that those curtains went with that carpet?'

Neato picture I found on Flickr... (courtesy clickr12345)

2155639837_e01b07a65a_b.jpg

Other than the really tacky dated furniture and cushions, the thing that really stands out as cheapness is the visible door handle on the wood-tiled wall. The entire thing looks like a mall--Square One perhaps? It reminds me of somewhere I've been, but I can't remember. (edit: Yes I think I know where! I once helped renovate a mid-range chain restaurant on Robson St--sort of like the Keg only a different brand. Anyways, just real tacky beiges and tile and blah stuff. Or even Tim Horton's!) All in all, a huge letdown but not surprising giving the demo of the area: Conservative. I wonder what atrocities can be found in individual units?

(It reminds me of CBC Marketplace's "condo crunch" video I watched (discussed elsewhere) where they show the couple in Vancouver--absolutely terrible furniture, etc!)

Thinking some more, the first thought I had: Funeral Parlour!

yep good points both of you! I too thought the door hardware looked extremely crude, ruining that faux wood wall... Square One indeed! lol!

I guess though its easy for us slackers to sit in our computer chairs and complain about the results of people who actually get things done. All I know is this lobby is nicer than the one in my apartment....

Other than the really tacky dated furniture and cushions, the thing that really stands out as cheapness is the visible door handle on the wood-tiled wall. The entire thing looks like a mall--Square One perhaps? It reminds me of somewhere I've been, but I can't remember. (edit: Yes I think I know where! I once helped renovate a mid-range chain restaurant on Robson St--sort of like the Keg only a different brand. Anyways, just real tacky beiges and tile and blah stuff. Or even Tim Horton's!) All in all, a huge letdown but not surprising giving the demo of the area: Conservative. I wonder what atrocities can be found in individual units?

(It reminds me of CBC Marketplace's "condo crunch" video I watched (discussed elsewhere) where they show the couple in Vancouver--absolutely terrible furniture, etc!)

You are right that this project is a huge letdown. I got occupancy of my South Tower unit in early Dec. and I am extemely disappointed with the workmanship. There was serious damage to major areas of the unit. Even simple things were not completed properly. It would appear as if my unit was not ready for delivery and after over a month and a half nothing has yet been fixed. It seems that other owners have similar issues as well. After 3 years of anticipation it is a such a disappointment.

What can a buyer expect these days? Unionized workers + not enough talent (experienced workers) + record condo sales + record job sites = quality issues. Even mighty Minto can't get on top of this problem.

This condo conundrum reminds me of my experience in another unrelated sector: I used to work for a Fortune 500 company, and contrary to media reports/CEO memos, the place was a joke and the product sold was crap. Yet the share price soared, consumers kept buying the (faulty) product and the media kept saying there was record demand, the fundamentals were sound, blah blah blah. Like the X, the gov't and other corporations, Minto and other developers are no different. I do often wonder: I wonder which country consistently produces a high quality housing product? Is it Japan?

Yeah, that rough beige tile is going to age terribly in only a matter of years.

Also, the wood veneer reminds me of the ones they have in the RoCP elevators which have been the target of scratchitiers.

When I first got into the market in 1997 one of the first things I learned was don't buy where there are lots of renters. At the time, that were 3 or 4 buildings to avoid downtown as renters and their partying Uni friends don't care much about the building as opposed to those who live where they own. Unfortunately these days it's difficult to find too many buildings with a high percentage of owner occupied suites so this is an unfortunate example of what can happen in common areas.

You are right that this project is a huge letdown. I got occupancy of my South Tower unit in early Dec. and I am extemely disappointed with the workmanship. There was serious damage to major areas of the unit. Even simple things were not completed properly. It would appear as if my unit was not ready for delivery and after over a month and a half nothing has yet been fixed. It seems that other owners have similar issues as well. After 3 years of anticipation it is a such a disappointment.

have you taken ownership or got your condo registration title?

Back