Toronto Michael Garron Hospital, Toronto East Health Network | ?m | 8s | Infrastructure Ontar | Diamond Schmitt

I was a bit confused about what was being demolished. This video explains, somewhat.

Yup, everything in Red below (extracted from the above)

1707841051501.png

Do they then have plans (or hopes!) of building something new in that area??

There is no current plan for another new building, however, the intention of leaving that area 'blank; is to accommodate a future phase of redevelopment.

Reactions: DSC
Yup, everything in Red below (extracted from the above)

View attachment 540358

What'cha Angry about @Towered

They're saving the original hospital building; which had been badly molested over the years, and restoring it.

The Coxwell-facing wing was no joyous celebration of architecture inside or out. I think there are a couple bits of the lobby that might be/have been worth saving and repurposing in the new.......but I won't shed any tears over the loss of these buildings.

Both I and my mother were patients in the Coxwell portion......which was hopelessly out of date, and still had 3-bed rooms as recently as just before the pandemic; while C wing, in behind, had the Advanced Care for the Elderly unit, which was even more cramped and also had 3 to 4 beds in some rooms, and no space for patients needing physio therapy.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Last edited:

They're saving the original hospital building; which had been badly molested over the years, and restoring it.

The Coxwell-facing wing was no joyous celebration of architecture inside or out. I think there a couple bits of the lobby that might be/have been worth saving and repurposing in the new.......but I won't shed any tears over the loss of these buildings.

Both I and my mother were patients in the Coxwell portion......which was hopelessly out of date, and still had 3-bed rooms as recently as just before the pandemic; while C wing, in behind, had the Advanced Care for the Elderly unit, which was even more cramped and also had 3 to 4 beds in some rooms, and no space for patients needing physio therapy.

I was only there once but inside was a maze and VERY confusing!

I was only there once but inside was a maze and VERY confusing!

Before all the changes, there were 6 actual buildings with clinical space in them, 5 with patient rooms; 2 of those buildings had 2 different wings, so that's 10 masses, 9 with patient rooms, and many were made over several times, such that were even more of a rabbit warren than when they were built.

The way this will have worked out, they'll be down to 5 buildings, with 5 massings, clinical services in only 4 and patient rooms in only 1.

...if it's about that gothic chevron symmetric'ness that's slated to be all nuked, I can see why Mr. Towered would red under his green collar over this. >.<

The Coxwell-facing wing was no joyous celebration of architecture inside or out. I think there are a couple bits of the lobby that might be/have been worth saving and repurposing in the new.......but I won't shed any tears over the loss of these buildings.

A very rare case where Northern and I disagree. I will miss the old Coxwell wing and think the demolition of the stately Moderne-Art Deco wing is a heritage loss.

I'm disappointed that the ugliest of the wings, the 90s Mortimer wing, will remain untouched.

A very rare case where Northern and I disagree. I will miss the old Coxwell wing and think the demolition of the stately Moderne-Art Deco wing is a heritage loss.

Fair enough; if one likes the exterior, one likes it; I'm admittedly not a big fan.

If you've spent time in the wings, which have drop ceilings and interior partition walls, I really don't think there's anything to love. I'm also not sure how one would repurpose these as they are not suited to modern patient needs.

The lobby was ok, and as noted, there are some materials there that would ideally find a new home other than a landfill..........

Fair enough; if one likes the exterior, one likes it; I'm admittedly not a big fan.

If you've spent time in the wings, which have drop ceilings and interior partition walls, I really don't think there's anything to love. I'm also not sure how one would repurpose these as they are not suited to modern patient needs.

The lobby was ok, and as noted, there are some materials there that would ideally find a new home other than a landfill..........
Indeed, hospitals need to be *functional*. There is nothing more frustrating and difficult than trying to shoehorn modern medical technology into 50 year old infrastructure. As soon as you look above the acoustic drop ceilings, you quickly realize what a nightmare it is to deal with.

Take a couple of pictures of A-C wings, and bring in the wrecking balls.

I was born in that building, what a damn shame that they are demolishing it. A piece of art moderne heritage being erased.

I spent a lot more time in it than you, I'd imagine, both for myself and as a caregiver........ my memories of it are not particularly good.

Tainting of experience aside, I don't think the building is a good example of the style. I always found it dreary, inside and out. But I do appreciate that others will have different takes.

Reactions: PL1
Hospitals are the one type of building where if heritage is an encumbrance to good medical service, conserving it takes second priority to ensuring function and high quality service levels. I've been in this hospital a bunch of times, and I've been in hospitals as a patient for over a year of my life. New modern spaces make a big difference to the quality of care, and importantly the perception of the quality level as well. Having sunlight is really important if you're stuck in bed for a long time. I have no real issue in the modernization especially if it helps improve the level of care at MGH.

And indeed, I won't miss the maze or dingy spaces in that building on Coxwell. It's kind of nasty in there, same with some of the old parts of St. Mike's.

Back