News   Apr 26, 2024
 64     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 403     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

I find it a bit bizarre that when someone makes an announcement like this, none of the media reports mention their previous name. It is not 'deadnaming' someone to say that they previously had a different name. It's a silly dance to say that Elliot Page, who you have never heard of, is transgender. And wink wink, because we know you have no idea who that is, we'll show you a picture of him. But perish the thought of mentioning that he was once known by another name. It's absurd.

I find it a bit bizarre that when someone makes an announcement like this, none of the media reports mention their previous name. It is not 'deadnaming' someone to say that they previously had a different name. It's a silly dance to say that Elliot Page, who you have never heard of, is transgender. And wink wink, because we know you have no idea who that is, we'll show you a picture of him. But perish the thought of mentioning that he was once known by another name. It's absurd.

"Deadnaming". I like that. it's similar to when a TV or radio personality moves on - it's like they never existed. It strikes me as quite '1984-ish'. I was similarly confused when I read the articles: should I know who Elliot Page is (admittedly not a huge entertainment media follower)? Why are they showing archive photos of Ellen? Is this Ellen's brother? I notice that IMDB has already been re-written.

Deadnaming is the sin of referring to a trans person by their pre-transition name.

"Deadnaming". I like that. it's similar to when a TV or radio personality moves on - it's like they never existed. It strikes me as quite '1984-ish'.

I missed the book reference at first. I was thinking you were talking about our real-world year 1984 and how back then a radio station would spontaneously change formats one day with zero warning. All the staff would be gone and the music would be different and it would not be discussed on air at all. The rock station to which you had listened for 15 years would spontaneously become a country station, which continued operations as though it had always been such.

Transradio!

Last edited:
The new TorStar owners have turned on the money taps, announcing they have actually poached journalists from other papers to expand coverage today.

Warnica comes from the National Post, Dobby is from the Global and Mail, both current employees, so this is a verified "come here and we'll pay you more" poaching.
Interesting choices too as "business" stories will probably be huge in 2021 while the full extent of the economic impact of the pandemic hits and unravels many long standing business, but also creates niche opportunities for small new players to jump in to areas where they otherwise never would have found space.

The new TorStar owners have turned on the money taps, announcing they have actually poached journalists from other papers to expand coverage today.

Warnica comes from the National Post, Dobby is from the Global and Mail, both current employees, so this is a verified "come here and we'll pay you more" poaching.
Interesting choices too as "business" stories will probably be huge in 2021 while the full extent of the economic impact of the pandemic hits and unravels many long standing business, but also creates niche opportunities for small new players to jump in to areas where they otherwise never would have found space.

They could be expecting they will have access to te new bail out program.

The axe has fallen at Bell.

Bell Media is confirming union reports that it is laying off employees at radio and TV stations across Canada, including "phasing out" certain sportscasts and well-known anchors.
The union representing some Bell Media workers says a total of 210 employees in the Toronto area are being laid off, with most of the notifications taking place today.

The names are just starting to come out now. Saw a few already at CFRB. No doubt many more at CTV and TSN to come in the next 24 hours.

Last edited:
First update:
The entire NEWSTALK 1010 news department was axed. Some names are Russ Courtney, Haley Cooper, Claude Feig and Lucas Meyer.
And at least two hosts were given pink slips. Barb DiGiulio and Ted Woloshyn are no longer with the Bell Media station.

I wasn't a listener, though I followed Lucas on Twitter at one point.

But, aside from being sad for those laid off.......

I disagree w/the strategy here.

I understand it.

But I disagree, both on intrinsic value; and on economics.

To me; the strong suit of stations (soon to be streams/sat. feeds etc.) will be differentiation.

Offering something Disney cannot or will not.

True in radio, TV, print etc.

Sacking what makes you special........and different, not the way to go.

Bell is well capitalized; but it can't go head to head w/the U.S. behemoths.

Bell Media layoff notices for 299 Queen St. W. in Toronto out now. Switchboard Receptionist (3) Automated MCR Operator 1 (8) Labourer (5 PT) TVA (2 PT) Communications Coordinator (2) Librarian (1) Make-Up Artists (6 FT, 7 PT) Production Coordinators (2) Audio Assistant (1 PT), Camera Operator (4FT, 3PT) Event Planner and Ticketing (1) Floor Director (1 PT) Web Designer (1) Assistant Director (1) Audio Operator (2) Electronic Graphic Operator (1) Squeezeback Editor (1) Carpentry Supervisor (1) EFP Camera Operator (2) Lighting Director (1 part-time) Packaging Editor (1) Writer/Producer (1) Technical Director (1) Automated MCR Operator 1 (4)

Agincourt (CTV National News, TSN) gets the bad news tomorrow.

Isn't Woloshyn ~80 years old?

He was still there? Didn't care much for his gruff voice. Can't remember his politics. Either way, that station is more or less garbage - a mostly unbearable echo chamber for perpetually pissed off conservatives and the endless parade of asshole callers.

Tom Brown and Anwar Knight from CTV Toronto were let go today.

Jim Richards was also let go from 1010.

Last edited:

Back