News   Apr 19, 2024
 508     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 855     3 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't recall there ever being a dedicated thread to discussions about the Toronto Media landscape, and it's various personalities, who have a big impact on our lives. I am not looking to start a discussion about rumours and gossip on news people. I'm just interested in facts and stories about hirings, firings, controversies, etc., at the various newspapers, TV stations, and radio stations in the GTA, and to discuss what we think about them. If there is a thread out there, feel free to merge this post into it.

It came to my mind to look for one today as I was wondering what people thought about the revelations that Global anchor Leslie Roberts has been indefinitely suspended after The Star uncovered he booked guests on his show who were also clients of a PR firm in which he secretly held an equity stake. I'm sure on a morning show people don't have high expectations that the information they are receiving isn't arranged by some level of sponsorship, or advertising dollars. However it sounds like he even hid this from Global itself, which is probably why they have removed him as they don't want to taint the whole organization with an impression that any staff member can have a side gig that influences their shows.

Last edited:
As I said in a thread a long time ago, it was unfortunate CityNews Channel had to be taken off the air. The only extant local 24-hour Toronto news channel remaining is at least 50% weather, traffic, or advertising, right down to advertising appearing in random spots on the screen.

After being fired by The Edge for homophobic bigotry, The Fan 590 has picked up Dean Blundell for a new morning show.

There were strong rumours he was going to Indie88 which would have been terrible. Although, Indie88 has turned pretty terrible pretty quickly anyway, even without Blundell.

Agreed. Indie88 was so damn promising when they launched. Went downhill unbelievably fast.

The Toronto Star launched a Snapchat account yesterday.

Savvy move to shift content where it's wanted in the modern era, or dinosaur grasping at straws to avoid extinction?

So The Star brings down another CBC host.

Evan Solomon fired.

With Ghomeshi and Solomon gone, and conflict of interest allegations following Amanda Lang, Peter Mansbridge and Rex Murphy, I imagine Rick Mercer is dumping his inbox right now.

If you're in media you're meeting tons of people and essentially have very powerful connections. Being a dealmaker and a middleman can be vastly profitable when introducing two large parties to each other. That's probably why its so tempting to engage in morally dubious deals.

Back