News   Jul 15, 2024
 474     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 629     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 576     0 

Toronto Media Landscape and Personalities

Cam Wolley retired from CP24/CTV today.
There were many tributes to him on various shows, though no one mentioned the issues that resulted in him taking that job in the first place.

This is what I find so insufferable about mainstream media - negative actions or traits regularly seem to be glossed over whenever people retire or die.

Not a personalities story, likely just a curious webcoding mishap.

But as I was reading the Globe this morning, I saw this:

1621593023665.png

As it turns out, it does not appear they were hacked, these are all stories about Brampton and Covid (filed under Atlantic for some mysterious reason)......

And in Hindi, Punjabi, and Urdu.

Just rather odd, and as such, I thought, noteworthy. But not worthy of its own thread.

Just saw this thread for some reason.

What were those "issues"?
There was a semi-public fight between him when he was an OPP officer and Julian Fantino, then OPP Chief, about how frequently he was appearing on CP24 (or whatever it was named back then), and the information he was sharing about his job managing the 400-series highway patrol group in the GTA. Fantino stated he was upset Wolley was becoming a defacto PR spokesman for the OPP, with no authorisation or training to do so, but it's alleged that the real issue is Wolley would speak off-the-cuff too much about what they were doing and release sensitive information that was not supposed to be out there in public. The OPP doesn't want people to know detailed specifics of where they will be patrolling heavily on summer long weekends, but that slipped out sometimes. Also, Fantino got tired of turning on the TV every morning and seeing him there when he already had a PR officer who was paid a very high salary to explicitly do that job, so why was Wolley doing it outside his normal duties? Eventually there was an ultimatum to 'pick a job,' and Wolley chose to resign from the OPP and work at CP24.

Last edited:

MuchMusic is coming back – on TikTok

June 10, 2021

“The nation’s music station,” for all intents and purposes, has been dead for years. Under the ownership of Bell Media, the Canadian TV network gradually scaled back all the music videos, lost all the VJs and killed most of its original content. It’s still there on your TV dial as a zombie channel named just Much, but it mostly plays old episodes of South Park and The Simpsons. Even the MMVAs, the annual Queen West awards show that was the last bastion of the brand, has been on hiatus for the last few years – even before the pandemic.

But according to a press release sent by Bell Media this morning, MuchMusic will be back on July 7.

A collaboration with TikTok, the new MuchMusic will be a “content-driven digital first network.” Much is reviving three of its classic shows – MuchMusic Spotlight, Video On Trial and Intimate And Interactive – but those shows will now be on the “exclusive home” of TikTok.

VJs are also coming back. There will be a “soon-to-be-introduced lineup of uniquely talented and diverse” hosts. There will be “artist-hosted tent-pole events” and live performances.

MuchMusic is coming back – on TikTok

June 10, 2021

MehMusic, don't use TikTok and don't plan to. Canadian media conglomerates had been great at reducing the edgy and unique to Pablum.

AoD

Last edited:
MehMusic, don't use TikTok and don't plan to. Canadian media companies conglomerates had been great at reducing the edgy and unique to Pablum.

AoD

I wasn't a big consumer of MUCH, back-in-the-day........

But were I ............

The shows that would have had value were 'The New Music'......the shows devoted to niche genres (in English Canada) like French Kiss for Music en francais; or the shows devoted to hard rock/metal; or while not my usual, the show devoted to hiphop.

Uncensored was also a big thing.

Be it the videos or lyrics.

MUCH, at its best, was about conveying a passion for music, often by people who were themselves musicians.

As a digression, I miss the Showcase Revue, when that channel actually aired good movies; and had them intro'ed by people who cared about movies..........

I miss when Bravo actually aired operas; and live performances.........

And Discovery had a flagship show about science, co-hosted, by someone passionate and knowledgeable about science.

Now, cable is all filled with same Marvel movies and nonsense schlock.

Its not that there isn't anything good on, but its on streaming or the web..........not the corporate channels, for the most part.

There was a semi-public fight between him when he was an OPP officer and Julian Fantino, then OPP Chief, about how frequently he was appearing on CP24 (or whatever it was named back then), and the information he was sharing about his job managing the 400-series highway patrol group in the GTA. Fantino stated he was upset Wolley was becoming a defacto PR spokesman for the OPP, with no authorisation or training to do so, but it's alleged that the real issue is Wolley would speak off-the-cuff too much about what they were doing and release sensitive information that was not supposed to be out there in public. The OPP doesn't want people to know detailed specifics of where they will be patrolling heavily on summer long weekends, but that slipped out sometimes. Also, Fantino got tired of turning on the TV every morning and seeing him there when he already had a PR officer who was paid a very high salary to explicitly do that job, so why was Wolley doing it outside his normal duties? Eventually there was an ultimatum to 'pick a job,' and Wolley chose to resign from the OPP and work at CP24.

I just saw this reply; don't know how I missed it.

Oh, I'm well aware of the friction between Juli and Cam - actually Juli and anyone under him who had a public profile; it just so happened to be Cam because he was the most regular public figure in the province's largest live media centre. Juli never met a microphone he didn't like.

Cam didn't manage the 400-series highway patrol group. There's a whole command structure for that. At best, as a Sergeant, he would have been a team (platoon) leader. Cam *was* the media officer for the OPP in the GTA, every field division/region has one. There might have been an issue with releasing information he wasn't supposed to, I'm not aware. I'm not sure but I don't think he had formal in-house media training, he just evolved into it and was naturally quite good (once he stopped rocking back and forth on his feet like he had to pee).

And he didn't resign - he retired.

A great read:

The Bell Media folder contains a rather lengthy MuchMusic example.

And Discovery had a flagship show about science, co-hosted, by someone passionate and knowledgeable about science.

I think it was called Daily Planet - anchored by Jay Ingram and Ivan Semeniuk was one of the reporters I believe. I think Discovery fared a bit better than TLC, the latter turned pretty much all unreality TV.

Remember the early days of the whole 500 (tv) channel talk - we ended up with that - but 500 channels of c**p.

AoD

Now, cable is all filled with same Marvel movies and nonsense schlock.

Its not that there isn't anything good on, but its on streaming or the web..........not the corporate channels, for the most part.
That's certainly the way Space (CTV SciFi) has gone. They used to have a great show called Inner Space that reported on sci-fi, comics, fantasy, etc. and to use NL's phrase, hosted by people passionate and knowledgeable about sci fi. Thanks, Bell

Back