Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Lol...:DNot much cladding going to happen here, if this project does not move forward

My first reaction was one of anger when learning of the rejection. I re-read the report and I'm confident that most of the issues identified can be resolved with the exception of the the south setback (or lack there of) from the property line. That may very well kill the project, even at the OMB.

Look on page 25 of the report. There is no room to move the tower on site. If the owners of the Heintzman Building were to build right next to the north property line than these towers would literally be touching each other. Obviously there needs to be a setback.

The tower is nearly sold out and there is a lot of money already invested in this development. It will be very interesting to follow what happens next.

Out of curiosity, can buildings be touching each other if no balconies are involved? Isn't that what's happening at 300 Front? I believe the North wall facing the transformer was intentionally left windowless in order to accommodate future development.

They should just try to buy the Heintzman Building and go for 100 storeys here...Hahaha, WT would lose her mind.

As long as it doesn't result in the loss of a parking garage and doesn't shadow a sidewalk lol

Buildings downtown usually have a condition where podiums are built to the lot line without windows, creating a consistent 5-6 story streetwall.

City staff are not paid to think of the individual benefits or rewards of a particular project vs their instructions from on high. They look at their "book" to see if it fits in with their superiors interpretation of that "book". If it doesn't, regardless of the overwhelming benefit to the community and society as a whole then it must be condemned.
You know........Like priests!

Really worried here, my father has invested in this condo, so far the company has milked him for 15% of the 20% down payment I think. What if this project does not get approved, is there any guarantee we will get our deposit down payment back? Have there been any cases where people have not been paid their deposits back in the past? This building is over 80% sold, so they are sitting on a huge chunk of money. Any insight would be helpful, I was also wondering what would happen if the developer in the worst case scenario was to file for bankruptcy etc?

Thinking outside the box

City staff are not paid to think of the individual benefits or rewards of a particular project vs their instructions from on high. They look at their "book" to see if it fits in with their superiors interpretation of that "book". If it doesn't, regardless of the overwhelming benefit to the community and society as a whole then it must be condemned.
You know........Like priests!

OK.
City staff do not think so to speak "outside the box" < but what about sufficient number of city politicians?
This poject has so much to offer to the city &, not to forget, the Massy Hall itself !!!!!!..........

Really worried here, my father has invested in this condo, so far the company has milked him for 15% of the 20% down payment I think. What if this project does not get approved, is there any guarantee we will get our deposit down payment back? Have there been any cases where people have not been paid their deposits back in the past? This building is over 80% sold, so they are sitting on a huge chunk of money. Any insight would be helpful, I was also wondering what would happen if the developer in the worst case scenario was to file for bankruptcy etc?

Not to worry, Tarion insures all deposits which are held in trust by the developer's solicitor. In any case, everyone should remember that all we're dealing with is a planning report. The decision for approval is ultimately up to Council.

My second condo was built on a north facing property line and it sucked. We learned about it half a year after we moved in when we were informed that the fire department wouldn't sign off on the building because of windows on the building's north side property line. Seven of us negotiated together for several months with the developer and we settled with a cash payout and metal fire shutter installations on our three affected windows. If the property next door is ever developed everyone those suites with north facing windows will quite possibly no longer have windows. Presumably this was an error between City Planning & the developer which should never have happened.
As suggested above there's no way Massey Hall is going to get approved with or without the OMB, not on a property line. MOD will have to try to buy the building next door or redesign the building's setback along with addressing some of the other less serious issues.

My second condo was built on a north facing property line and it sucked. We learned about it half a year after we moved in when we were informed that the fire department wouldn't sign off on the building because of windows on the building's north side property line. Seven of us negotiated together for several months with the developer and we settled with a cash payout and metal fire shutter installations on our three affected windows. If the property next door is ever developed everyone those suites with north facing windows will quite possibly no longer have windows. Presumably this was an error between City Planning & the developer which should never have happened.
As suggested above there's no way Massey Hall is going to get approved with or without the OMB, not on a property line. MOD will have to try to buy the building next door or redesign the building's setback along with addressing some of the other less serious issues.

the project will be approved as-is. neither of your two proposed options (purchase nor redesign) will come to pass.

This is all very odd. A building of this magnitude doesn't get this far along in the design process without considerable consultation with the city and counsellors and zoning & building departments. There would be a team of planning consultants on this project and its pretty much impossible that an issue significant enough to stop the project just fell out of the sky.

I suspect there were heavy negotiations going on in the background and something either fell out of bed or the city is applying significant pressure to get something they want ($?).

I'm pretty sure this will proceed once they get come to terms on whatever the issue is.

Last edited:

Back