Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

then it's time to start sewing your diamonds into your corset, comrade.

If you have any useful comments about the future of our core as a playground for the wealthy only (or your version of what you think the future of Toronto is), I'd welcome those. Otherwise by all means go back to posting convenient one-liners.

"If you have any useful comments about the future of our core as a playground for the wealthy only (or your version of what you think the future of Toronto is), I'd welcome those. Otherwise by all means go back to posting convenient one-liners."
QUOTE: SPIRE.

I for one believe, the collective aside, although no doubt included here, that AndreaPalladio has done a rather exceptional job of your impalement, SPIRE.

J T

Last edited:
Naw. This is simply the future of capitalism run wild.

I'm always confused by this attitude. Government controls more of the economy (as a percentage of GDP) than it ever has before. This is most certainly not an age of capitalism run wild. Corruption, maybe; but not capitalism.

It's incredibly efficient at forcing all but the wealthy out of downtown cores when they become desirable. HOWEVER, if it is not left to run amock, and there are policies that keep housing affordable or provide a healthy dose of affordable housing (sorely lacking in Toronto), then I find the capitalist approach to be much more palatable.

Capitalism is efficient in many ways, but one of its efficiencies is that it treats you better the wealthier you are. There are many people that will never be able to live in the core because they cannot afford it-- look at the prices of the units in this building for example-- for such a tiny space! And in the end, a socially homogeneous core and segregated city is bad for everyone.

I'm not paranoid. I've studied my fair share of this stuff and read some alarming studies. Things change over time and I wonder what will happen to Toronto without necessary interventions.

A big reason why these small (and hence cheaper) units are in such high demand is precisely because of the high cost of living downtown. The small units are merely the response to the growing wealth in the core, not the cause. Artificially preventing smaller units from being built isn't going to suddenly turn downtown into some egalitarian utopia. Rather, it will mean fewer buyers, fewer buildings be constructed, a smaller supply of housing and, as a result, even higher housing costs. Just look at the sky rocketing rents in the city. Imagine how inaccessible downtown living would be if it weren't for the availability of small units.

I'm always confused by this attitude. Government controls more of the economy (as a percentage of GDP) than it ever has before. This is most certainly not an age of capitalism run wild. Corruption, maybe; but not capitalism.

The government controls more of our economy because education and health care are two of the fastest growing economic sectors. That doesn't mean capitalism isn't running wild in other sectors like finance and real estate.

Imagine how inaccessible downtown living would be if it weren't for the availability of small units.

Don't tell yourself things merely because they make you feel better. Those small units are still very cost-prohibitive most of the time and they are hardly the low-cost/mid-cost housing stock that our core so sorely needs.

I never blamed small units for growing wealth in the core. I am merely pointing out that more needs to be done to bring various types of people into downtown Toronto and keep it affordable for these various types of people.

This isn't about blame -- rather it's about making sure that capitalism doesn't go unchecked. When interventions are not made by the public sector, homogeneity ensues and we've seen what that does to cities...

Pretty much every point has been made in this discussion as relates to the Massey Tower now. Further exploration of this should be taken to the Politics forum. Thanks!

PS - Please debate the issues, not the people!

Well thank you! Doors Open was fun this year.

I'm all about having an awesome view, and Massey Tower should have some great ones from higher floors.

One of the project leads mentioned that they hope to start construction in the fall. Fingers crossed all goes well.

My favourite pic of the old Colonial Tavern:

PHOTO - TORONTO - COLONIAL TAVERN - YONGE STREET - PUBLICITY PHOTO AFTER RENOVATION - c1970-1.jpg

Attachments

• PHOTO - TORONTO - COLONIAL TAVERN - YONGE STREET - PUBLICITY PHOTO AFTER RENOVATION - c1970-1.jpg
    PHOTO - TORONTO - COLONIAL TAVERN - YONGE STREET - PUBLICITY PHOTO AFTER RENOVATION - c1970-1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 468
That's one of the most intriguing vintage shots of this town I've ever seen. Wow! So much you can talk about in that pic.

Back