Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Hmm, is that an extension to the back of Massey Hall (purely conceptual)?

MasseyHallSWAer960.jpg

And what is that new structure behind it?

Okay, okay, yes, check out the dataBase entry for new pics - they are at the end of the thumbnail string. Have fun!

That's the four-storey portion of Massey Hall known as Albert Hall:

alberthall.jpg

Massey-04.jpg
massey_hall_postcard_2010003.jpg

Last edited:
I think the "back of house" as portrayed is wider than the Albert Hall - the bay windows of such is depicted as lit, and there is a narrow unlit portion further south that is unaccounted for.

re: windows - I thought the windows facing Shuter are currently boarded up...

AoD

Last edited:
awesome new renders!

regarding the north/east sides, they're a lot less flashy than i as expecting, it's pretty clean, but that could end up being a good thing with some great cladding.

pretty huge skyline impact.

The north face of the tower looks as though it has a little Pantages-esque scoop out of it. All in all, rather a nice building from HP, avoiding the excesses of 1 Bloor East by not looking as though an alimentary canal has been impressed into the side of it, and the fussy, overdesigned quality that made Vu a disappointment.

Not exactly the Elgin Marbles, but I wonder if Massey Hall will ever restore the exterior pediment sculptural frieze that was chipped off so long ago? It would be nice to see it back, and the metal fire escapes that were added to that side in the '30s are ghastly.

Not exactly the Elgin Marbles, but I wonder if Massey Hall will ever restore the exterior pediment sculptural frieze that was chipped off so long ago? It would be nice to see it back, and the metal fire escapes that were added to that side in the '30s are ghastly.

Certainly, the development of Massey Tower will now allow Massey Hall to do many wonderful things both on the exterior and interior:

1894 (the year it opened):

pictures-r-4116-1.jpg

and the metal fire escapes that were added to that side in the '30s are ghastly.

But they do make for downtown's most authentic guerrilla "Sydney Harbour bridge girder crossing" experience...

That's right: you heard it here. Crossing the Massey Hall facade.

197Yongehistorical_Page_3.jpg

so today I noticed a loading truck parked outside 205 Yonge (the prettier one on the North). The building door was open and people were moving furniture into the building! I am very curious, doesn't anyone know what's happening with that building? Someone finally leased it? that will be exciting.

Perhaps developer Cary Switzer will expanded his theme of naming the building in homage to the Massey family by naming the condo units after famous local architects - the Lennox, the Cumberland, the Storm, the Thomas, the Langley, the Horwood ...

Perhaps developer Cary Switzer will expanded his theme of naming the building in homage to the Massey family by naming the condo units after famous local architects - the Lennox, the Cumberland, the Storm, the Thomas, the Langley, the Horwood ...

Music won out over architecture: the suites were named after luminaries who have played at Massey Hall over the decades: Maria Callas, Gordon Lightfoot, Glenn Gould, Joni Mitchell, Charlie Parker, Ray Charles.....

I hope they choose a few contemporary artists too, I'd love to live in the Sigur Rós suite. Cool, sparse Icelandic modernism, with soothing and ethereal finishes.

Back