Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

Did I make a mistake? I rose the building that had a crane over it on the orignal photo.

Looking at it again you are correct, YC should be north of Aura. I think I may have risen 488 University instead.

The building in that photo rising above the Globe & Mail Centre is Livmore, and it recently topped off at 43 storeys. The correct placement of YC Condo tower in the image would be further to the right. If you identify the PACE condo building in that photo, Karma is immediately to the right of PACE, and the YC Condo tower abuts the right side of Karma. All three buildings kind of merge in that photo. You can just barely make out the YC building rising above the red & white crane which is the Grid condo building under construction in the foreground. The Grid will be a 50 storey building when it tops out, currently around 37 storeys.

If you happen to update this photo or a future one that I post, you might want to reduce the height of Massey Tower just slightly. According to UT, Maseey will top out at 679 feet. By comparison, Bay-Adelaide Centre's two towers are 715 feet and 643 feet, so Massey will end up almost at the midpoint between BAC West and East towers. Massey is at a slightly higher elevation than BAC, but not much, so I would lime up the roofline of Massey just below the roofline of BAC West tower.

I love how you superimposed the "completed" buildings into the photo. Please keep them coming. It would great to see you add the supertall YSL condo building into a future photo. In the case of the preceding photo, I suspect YSL would completely block out Aura from my vantage point, which would be shame, especially at night. From a distance, Aura is quite striking on the skyline. I love its curvilinear east elevation and sloped roofline. It's very distinctive. If you look at our skyline, flat roof tops predominate. I think Aura, the L-Tower, Brookfield Place and 88 Scott Street and Monde break the mold and add visual interest to the skyline. One Bloor East and The ONE won't cut it for me. Apart from their distinctive tallness, they won't differentiate themselves from other tall towers (from a distance). Up close is a totally different discussion, but something as simple as a sloped roofline (like Aura's) can really define a building.

Last edited:
The building in that photo rising above the Globe & Mail Centre is Livmore, and it recently topped off at 43 storeys. The correct placement of YC Condo tower in the image would be further to the right. If you identify the PACE condo building in that photo, Karma is immediately to the right of PACE, and the YC Condo tower abuts the right side of Karma. All three buildings kind of merge in that photo. You can just barely make out the YC building rising above the red & white crane which is the Grid condo building under construction in the foreground. The Grid will be a 50 storey building when it tops out, currently around 37 storeys.

If you happen to update this photo or a future one that I post, you might want to reduce the height of Massey Tower just slightly. According to UT, Maseey will top out at 679 feet. By comparison, Bay-Adelaide Centre's two towers are 715 feet and 643 feet, so Massey will end up almost at the midpoint between BAC West and East towers. Massey is at a slightly higher elevation than BAC, but not much, so I would lime up the roofline of Massey just below the roofline of BAC West tower.

I love how you superimposed the "completed" buildings into the photo. Please keep them coming. It would great to see you add the supertall YSL condo building into a future photo. In the case of the preceding photo, I suspect YSL would completely block out Aura from my vantage point, which would be shame, especially at night. From a distance, Aura is quite striking on the skyline. I love its curvilinear east elevation and sloped roofline. It's very distinctive. If you look at our skyline, flat roof tops predominate. I think Aura, the L-Tower, Brookfield Place and 88 Scott Street and Monde break the mold and add visual interest to the skyline. One Bloor East and The ONE won't cut it for me. Apart from their distinctive tallness, they won't differentiate themselves from other tall towers (from a distance). Up close is a totally different discussion, but something as simple as a sloped roofline (like Aura's) can really define a building.

I used 88 Scott to extrapolate the height of Massey.

I used 88 Scott to extrapolate the height of Massey.

Interesting. Massey will top out at 679 feet, so about 1 storey taller than 88 Scott (669 ft.), plus, say another half storey perhaps for the elevation difference between Wellington and Shuter Street. I therefore take back my earlier comment about reducing your sketch height for Massey. Time will tell of course, but in relation to 88 Scott Street, your rendering of Massey's completed height looks to be pretty much spot on.

Today:

40425864121_0db1f4e29e_k.jpg

25554456927_779a84aa36_k.jpg

This building look great from this angel ! Using square panels on the rounded areas of the balcony creates a rugged detailed look to the building. It doesn't actually look that bad.

Back