Toronto Massey Tower Condos | 206.95m | 60s | MOD Developments | Hariri Pontarini

But, I would argue that the massey tower makes it more difficult for 205 yonge to be redeveloped into something else. It's unfortunate the two private owners couldn't come to an agreement involving the tower and I think shows what a mistake the city made in selling it off.

In 10-20 years, 209 Yonge could get razed and incorporated into a new development with 205, everything is possible down there

I recall reading somewhere that it's recently been used for some film shoots. So at least that would keep it in a good state of repair.

But, I would argue that the massey tower makes it more difficult for 205 yonge to be redeveloped into something else. It's unfortunate the two private owners couldn't come to an agreement involving the tower and I think shows what a mistake the city made in selling it off.

The small size of the site, the location of the heritage resources on the site and the heritage easement agreement on title are what make 205 Yonge difficult to be redeveloped. 205 Yonge would not have brought a lot to the table in any potential joint development.

This would be a great cocktail bar/event space too. It is a beautiful interior. I don't think there is anything to compare in the rest of the city....is there?
The interior, because of the very high contrast nature of the seams in the stone, is quite over-the-top. The photos are one thing, but when you're in there, it can be overpowering, and anyone wanting to decorate the interior would likely have to go with monochromatic furniture so as to bring it down a notch. It wouldn't be easy to make it work.

I don't know for sure if that's what has killed off a reuse for the building currently, or if it's just that the current owner for some reason just doesn't care about leasing it out. He doesn't seem to be a highly communicative guy.

Yes, Automation Gallery is correct. 205 Yonge was formerly owned by the City, as was the Massey Tower parcel at 197-201 Yonge. The City acquired the properties in the late 1980s as part of its (since abandoned) "Theatre Block" initiative. For a time, 205 Yonge housed the Toronto Historical Board, and later Heritage Preservation Services and Heritage Toronto (Heritage Toronto used a diagram of the front facade of 205 Yonge as its logo for quite some time). 197-201Yonge was sold to Parasuco in 1999. When heritage staff were relocated in 2001, and no other City department, agency or board showed any interest, 205 Yonge was declared surplus in early 2002 and Council agreed to a sale later that year. It was claimed at the time that the sale of the property would "further Council’s goal of the revitalization of Yonge Street". As 205 Yonge remains empty almost 15 years later, that goal appears to not to have been met.

There is a certain irony of the city couldn't even manage to preserve the building where HT once was. Kind of illustrative of how little skin the city has in the whole affair.

AoD

October 9, 2016. From St. Mike's

20161009_134239.jpg

Taken ten days after the photos in the previous post. Paused for the moment?

IMG_0703.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 1,489
Perhaps they're installing a crane within the tower's footprint as you noted last year...

This crane will last for the first dozen or so floors, then will be replaced by a crane in the tower itself, and another one will eventually arrive for the Massey Hall backstage rebuild.

Back