Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

I think the odd shaped roof boxes will look better when the angled glass balconies matches up with it. I'm waiting until then to decide how I like it.

While I like the look of these now, I can't help but think they'll look instantly antiquated and pedestrian once ICE is built. Although maybe the reflection will look cool!

other than the height, these are very disappointing to me. The crowned jewel (emerald) of the green glass district. blah....

You nailed it , like the Leafs, lack of finish. Let's hope Ice benefits from from the contrapuntal dullness. I'm afraid some of the hyped new- builds in the city are lauded largely because of increased height. In the case of this project, mediocrity has been raised to new heights. I'm hoping this doesn't thud into a defining aspect of the Toronto Style .

I agree with the opinions above. I used to be a big fan of KPMB, but after witnessing the blandness of MLS, Festival Tower, and 18 York, I think that they should stick to lowrise institutional buildings. I still love Montage though.

18 york isn't really built at all yet and the other two aren't finished, so how would one know the final outcome, although I agree at least with MLS and Festival, so far it doesn't shine in any way, average looking...so far

I also agree with the above. Coming in on the GO train from the East MLS just looks like another phase of the pinnacle/18 yonge/etc "aqua cluster."

I also agree with the above. Coming in on the GO train from the East MLS just looks like another phase of the pinnacle/18 yonge/etc "aqua cluster."
But to be fair, it is somewhat difficult to set any condo apart within that cluster if the tower consists of a glass wall and similar colour to the rest.

^^^ well, I think thats a big part of the point / complaint. the choice of materials and colours is disappointing and so the execution of the already pedestrian architecture also sucks. I know a lot of people get shot down for comparing completed buildings to their renders but I feel the need to fall back on that comparison here. I dont have the renders handy but I remember them suggesting either black or brown glass. The green glass is bad enough but when they put it over top of white panelling for the roof element it just makes the whole design look very cheap. It really boggles the mind as to what developers and architects are thinking. I cant wait for the next trend in building design... we're getting way too many of these things and its gotta stop soon!

p.s. - canarob, I loved that "aqua cluster" name you came up with!

Last edited:
The architecture on MLS was just ok.

Considering the size, importance, and location of the buildings, the architecture wasn't special enough...

And then on top of that, the grey coloured glass was EXTREMELY dull, cheap, and old looking plus, that "Aqua" blue colour they used for the roofs/balconies was over the top...

What i do like about these buildings is they filled in empty space, have awesome height, and is a great complex/addition to the ACC next store... ICE condos will hopefully lighten up things and be very refreshingly cool!

Video of crane coming down

They took the crane down on Sat and caught part of it on this video. My hands were freezing trying to shoot this video as I just finished shooting the Ritz. Had no plans to be in the area until I saw the steel going up from Dufferin and Queen St. It was coming down very slow as it was windy in this area at the time.

A 2nd jib was place after my last visted. [video=youtube;tViFK8BgE54]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tViFK8BgE54"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tViFK8BgE54[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats with all the hate for MLS? Personally, I think it looks GREAT! Far from ordinary. It looks nothing like Pinnacle/18 yonge. You guys need your eyes examined.

Last edited:

Back