Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

The aspect ratio is 2.39:1, which is the standard for I guess movies? I wish hockey games could be shot in Panavision!

Where are you getting this information from?

Panavision are lenses & filming equipment. 2.39:1 is an old, unused theatrical aspect ratio not a television aspect ratio. 2.35:1 is officially known as Cinemascope, or "scope" to the lay person. The other common aspect ratio used in cinemas is 1.85:1 which is not as wide as Cinemascope. In television the older (non-HD) aspect ratio in the Americas was and is, 4:3, (or 1.33:1) which is almost square and the aspect ratio of movies shown in cinemas prior to the widescreen renaissance in the mid-1950's. Since the introduction of high definition television the aspect ratio is 16:9 which, to my eyes in person and through photographs posted on this board is the approximate dimension of the giant screen outside the west side of the the ACC.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/special/caveat_emptor.htm

How widescreen films are shown on TV

http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen.shtml

Can you imagine what an electrifying this place will be when the Leafs/Raps/Blue Jays actually win something, Wow !

Nice shots of MLS!

Man... The roof's look SOOO messy right now.. But I can't wait to see the finished project!

Telus Crane is officially down BUT I really hoped they would put the spire up.. I guess the cancelled it for good :(

Anyone know why the scrapped the spire originally?

Where are you getting this information from?

Panavision are lenses & filming equipment. 2.39:1 is an old, unused theatrical aspect ratio not a television aspect ratio. 2.35:1 is officially known as Cinemascope, or "scope" to the lay person. The other common aspect ratio used in cinemas is 1.85:1 which is not as wide as Cinemascope. In television the older (non-HD) aspect ratio in the Americas was and is, 4:3, (or 1.33:1) which is almost square and the aspect ratio of movies shown in cinemas prior to the widescreen renaissance in the mid-1950's. Since the introduction of high definition television the aspect ratio is 16:9 which, to my eyes in person and through photographs posted on this board is the approximate dimension of the giant screen outside the west side of the the ACC.

The Panavision comment was a bad joke. The current aspect ratio used on the ACC screen is 1.78:1(16:9). What I was vaguely stating was the aspect ratio for the altered ACC screen, which is 2.39:1(or 2.40:1). Yes, it is not used as the television standard today but It isn't an unused format like you have stated, the bigger budget films are shot in this format as film stock costs more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

http://www.hankpalan.com/blog/technology/movie-film-and-tv-aspect-ratios-explained

And yes, you can state this is all irrelevant as the standard TV format is 1.78:1, but manufactures are developing 2.39:1 format television which I personally believe has the possibilty to become the next format for standard television.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/01/16/philips-ultrawidescr.html

This is going off topic so I'm going to stop now.

sooooo, thats one huge mechanical box :S is that all staying??

P1030556.jpg

P1030554.jpg

Im throwing this picture in as a reminder of what this area has come from

PICT0623.jpg

Last edited:
That's kind of interesting; the columns on the side of the mechanical box are sloped to match the cant in the balcony glass.

So they are! I noticed the box up top wasn't straight on the right side, but if I take a ruler to the picture it all lines up (with the balconies)...I guess it is there to stay. The height of it confused me at first.

hmm... I don't really like the box so far.. It looks to tall and uneven (like someone said above...)... it is UNEVEN... and looks like it's gonna fall over!

But hopefully it'll turn out nice... It's not complete so I should keep my comments to myself!

**very nice shots BTW

Could they be putting up a Maple Leaf logo on that box.:confused:

Probably not... I mean.. who wants to live in a building with a Maple Leaf Logo on top of it... IT WOULD BE AN INSULT to live in a building with a Maple Leaf Logo on it... I think that would be disgraceful....

Until the Leafs win the stanley cup.. IT AIN'T HAPPENIN AT ALL!!!

But it won't go there anyways.. I'm not sure it would look that good... It wasn't part of the original plan i don't think..

okay now i get it...

MLSRender2.jpg

zMapleLeafSquare1.jpg

*edit* - which probably means that once they add the mechanical box to the other building as well, my view of the cn tower is pretty much gone. Me thinks its time to move...

Last edited:
sooooo, thats one huge mechanical box :S is that all staying??
Yes. It's part of the architectural design of the building.
Probably not... I mean.. who wants to live in a building with a Maple Leaf Logo on top of it... IT WOULD BE AN INSULT to live in a building with a Maple Leaf Logo on it... I think that would be disgraceful....

Until the Leafs win the stanley cup.. IT AIN'T HAPPENIN AT ALL!!!

But it won't go there anyways.. I'm not sure it would look that good... It wasn't part of the original plan i don't think..

Um, have you seen our country's flag?

khris, the official canadian emblem is not the same as the maple leafs logo. moreover, the leafs are a brand. i think it would be distateful and unattractive to design the condos in such a way. however, if they put the otherwise attractive maple leaf sqaure logo up, i would not mind.

The place is called Maple Leaf Square, it's not such an absurd idea considering the building is themed and catered to Leafs fans. Sure the logo idea on the top of the building would be unconventional, but a disgrace?

I am a leafs fan and would not mind having a leaf logo on top, although it wouldn't flow with the overall appearance of the building. If the building was designed like the podium, the logo would fit in perfectly. Of course, people on these boards would beg to differ.

I didn't know Maple Leaf Square was stricly for the Toronto Maple Leafs, but just for the Maple Leaf period. Meaning all it represents, including the Leafs team.

Back