Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Even though the "I'm better than you" style of advertising fell out of favour for a decade or so (with the possible exception of the brilliantly "polite" and hilarious roasting Mac has given PC)... I think a dose of "this is action in the NHL... this is action in NFL" might be just what the marketing doctor ordered.

NHL montage (7 seconds): brilliant pass CUT TO thumpfest with blood CUT TO goal scored/celebration

NFL montage(7 seconds): quarterback hunches behind centre (center), whistle blows, they line up again CUT TO: hand off to full back who gains 2 yards CUT TO: penalty flag (offside) CUT TO: they line up along the line of scrimmage again.

I'm just saying. I realize the NHL will never satisfy fans even 15% of a world Junior tournment, but compared to most games in the NFL... the NHL is positively electrifying.

So the simple conceit? Don't focus on the absence of well-established fan mythologies (Tail Gate parties et al) in hockey... focus on the "actual" product comparison.

Eg. Here's a bunch of athletes moving all over the place at breakneck speeds on ice... here's a bunch of athletes who moved in some direction for some reason for 4 seconds on a field.

NHL might = Mac. NFL might = Vista.

Ya, in Phoenix. You seriously think an NBA All-Star game would be 10x bigger than the NHL All-Star game in Toronto? Sure, the NBA all-star festivities would give Toronto a lot more exposure to the States on TV and other media, but I doubt the atmosphere around the ACC would be that much greater than at a NHL all-star game/week. The NBA all-star game is held around the middle of February, which is normally a pretty cold time of year in Toronto, not the greatest time of the year to hold a bunch of outdoor festivities for a sport I consider a summer/warmer sport.[/b]
I'm gonna assume you're not a big basketball fan... but if you look at the NBA all star games over the last few years in other cities, they are massive events... media circuses with celebrities flying in from all over the world, and being broadcast in hundreds of countries. Yes I think the hype would be MUCH greater than an NHL all-star game.

The NBA has higher revenues and incomes than the NHL, but average attendance is about the same.
Professional sports revenue statistics
Not really a fair comparison. Yes the NBA has higher revenues - MUCH higher revenues.. but the only reason their attendance is similar is because in the states you can get a hockey ticket as part of a combo at mcdonalds, whereas average NBA ticket prices are MUCH higher. It's easy to think the NHL is huge when you look at the Leafs and all the hype surrounding them.. but the reality is the rest of the NHL doesn't live up to that hype.

Yes the NBA is bigger overall ...
International exposure is another thing the NBA has going for it.

Although the NHL is growing in that realm in Russia ... in the form of competition actually.

In the North East states along with all of Canada one can argue that NHL is more prominent. For the most part you can find a relation between the climate of a given area and the support for a given sport. The exception being large areas. If the raps started making it to the play offs and winning it would grow. Then again we can't forget there's 100+ years of history with the oh so great leafs :)

I'm gonna assume you're not a big basketball fan... but if you look at the NBA all star games over the last few years in other cities, they are massive events... media circuses with celebrities flying in from all over the world, and being broadcast in hundreds of countries. Yes I think the hype would be MUCH greater than an NHL all-star game.

I'm not going to make assumptions about some random dude in internetland. I love basketball, but I prefer NCAA over NBA. I lost interest in the NBA all-star game well before I lost interest in the NHL all-star game (actually, the only "all-star" event I like is the home-run derby). The dunk competition is a joke, I mean how many different types of dunks can you really do? And after each dunk the cameras point to everyone in the crowd holding those "10" cards. I'll give credit to Howard for his Superman get-up last year, and some of Carter's dunks a few years back were alright too. Really though, since Jordan and Wilkins stopped battling it out those couple of years the dunk competition is a snooze-fest. The game itself is just a boring shootout since nobody decides to play any real defence. The NHL all-star game and skills competition are no better.

Not really a fair comparison. Yes the NBA has higher revenues - MUCH higher revenues.. but the only reason their attendance is similar is because in the states you can get a hockey ticket as part of a combo at mcdonalds, whereas average NBA ticket prices are MUCH higher. It's easy to think the NHL is huge when you look at the Leafs and all the hype surrounding them.. but the reality is the rest of the NHL doesn't live up to that hype.

The average NBA ticket is 11 cents higher than the average NHL ticket. NBA revenues are higher because it has better TV contracts. The NHL is a joke with a dumbass commissioner crusading into markets where hockey is a foreign sport. There are 6-8 too many teams in the league.

But, I don't want to argue about which league is bigger or better any more in this thread. My main argument was in relation to the local atmosphere/experience of each of the two all-star events being held in Toronto with the area around ACC and MLS as ground-zero. Forget TV, the amount of hype and excitement in the City and GTA would be equal if not greater for the NHL all-star game.

BIG TIME NBA DEBATE!

well alright!

seriously though, even though it would be in canada, the all-star game would still be huge. let's not undermine the sexiness of this city.

the acc/ mls will be a prime location to have a huge event. the acc has a beautiful new scoreboard, it will have a new entrance and atrium and the square, whichc will hold hundreds of spectators, will be equipped with that huge tv!

the condos, hotels, restaurants, studios, stores of the new complex will be great for the event as well.

toronto is known to have great nightlife too. there will be no shortage of restaurants, clubs and bars for celebrities, players and fans to party.

and let's not forget how beautiful the city will look then. a new developed waterfront, new parks and new towers.

I don't think anyone disputes that the NBA is "bigger" than the NHL....I think that all some people would like to remind others is that Toronto might be the only city in the NBA where the NHL game is bigger locally. Yes there will be lots of American celebs here if we host the NBA game....I just don't think that too many locals will be all that fussed.

According to teammarketing.com and their fan cost index...the average ticket price at an NBA game is $48.83 (US) and the average at an NHL game is $49.66. When you take into account that the highest ticket prices are much higher in the NBA (ie. that ring of premium courtsides that sell for over $1000 in most/all NBA arenas but do not exist in NHL arenas) then it is probably safe to assume that the average of the non-Nicholson/Gucci row seats is even lower than reported....so the NHL is a bit more expensive than the NBA....it has to be because the tv revenue is significantly lower so they have to cover more costs from gate receipts.

toronto is a bigger hockeytown than a basketball town but i think you undermine raptors fans.

WE ARE NUTSOS. have you seen or been to a playoff game???

the raptors still average a sellout crowd, and they command enough support to also merit their own cable channel (the only team in the league allowed to have one i might add).

don't forget, there are raptors fans all over canada. basketball is definitely a growing sport in toronto and canada, especially considering the mass urbanization of the country and the arrival of more immigrants.

Back on topic. PCL has once again updated their website.

Current Progress (as of Jan/09)

The project has completed structure of the 10 storey podium and has enclosed it in curtain wall up to the 8th floor. The 17th and 13th floor of the north and south condo towers respectively are being poured. The 11th floor north tower window wall has been installed with the south following shortly. Interior finishes continue inside the podium with drywall in progress up to the 3rd floor. Roofing of the 3rd floor is complete with the 10th floor underway. Elevator installation continues along with mechanical and electrical rough in work in line with drywall activities. The east galleria skylight glass is installed with the 4 story west galleria underway and the steel bridge linking the ACC and Maple Leaf Square has been installed and is awaiting its glass cladding. Permanent power was activated through the project switchgear on June 12, 2008. Tendering is complete and we are drafting our closeout and commissioning plans.

its been a long exciting wait for this quick and also exciting rise of the towers!! aaa awsome~~~ :p

Telus and MLS from Reva Vizari at www.flickr.com

3198717646_d5729fc485_o.jpg

Back