April 13 2009 update

the new 'three sisters' ??

IMG_3660.jpg

by my count ... North Tower's @ 32nd floor, South Tower's @ 29th floor

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

i'm not sure i would call them sisters. this area is sort of like an adopted family, or an orphanage. it's got some wholes where the rain gets in (the parking lots). i figure though, once the really hot sister shows up (the waterfront), this place will turn itself around.

so according to the star, this area is not a neighbourhood. what should it be called? "condo country"? maybe when the waterfront is finished they'll name it "lake ontario neighbourhood" or "queens quay neighbourhood"

Apologies to ProjectEnd

3334858848b71d713f1cb.jpg

This picture worries me for whatever reason. It seems kinda monotone almost to tall :p Am I alone on this ?

edit: Just realized they're going to be different heights ... they'll make a big difference!

I think they'll look a lot better with glass on the balconies. But I'm also worried; I really dislike those horizontal bands. I know nothing about visual design, but I find that aspect jarring, it seems to serve to make the facade look busy, but in a non-interesting way (as opposed to say Spire). Success bothers me for the same reason; I prefer its sides that have the sleek glass sections.

I think they'll look a lot better with glass on the balconies. But I'm also worried; I really dislike those horizontal bands. I know nothing about visual design, but I find that aspect jarring, it seems to serve to make the facade look busy, but in a non-interesting way (as opposed to say Spire). Success bothers me for the same reason; I prefer its sides that have the sleek glass sections.

Yea I can't quite put my finger on it ... from up close the quality of the materials and the design look great on the tower! But from farther away something about it seems rather ho hum.

The quality of the materials on the Tower portion are above average by Toronto standards, at least in my opinion. - Not only that but the scale of the project is also a bit awe inspiring when compared to the rump of condo projects that are going up around town. - The podium on it's own should be a model for all future block busting real estate projects for the way it will create a connection between the towers and the street below. Imagine how Toronto street life would be so much more interesting if all the towers in the city met pavement the way this one does.......

What I'm worried about is if there will be anything of interest at street level to bring people to this neighbourhood. Or will this be another suburb within the city. Other than that, the buildings look good.

I'm not sure this'll ever be a neighbourhood and will just become an urban gated community - it's very similar to the Blue Jays Way/Wellington area. Icon 1/2, Soho, Jefferson, Element, soon to be M5V and Bell Lightbox (probably 4000 condos) but there is absolutely zero neighbourhood in terms of personal interaction. Stores - mostly not frequented by dwellers, restaurants - with the exception of Pizza Rustica - mostly not frequented by dwellers, etc.

More than Ice, what this area NEEDS is green space. Then again, I'm a firm believer that it's up to the people in the area (no matter the obstacles) to create a neighbourhood so we'll see what happens. I, for one, while liking the buildings, could never live here - it seems so, i dunno, disconnected even though it's in the center. The retail at the bottom of the pinnacle building (I think it's Pinnacle anyway - far right of the photo) doesn't do much for the streetscape and feels more like a strip mall.

this may very well become an extension of the financial district and not an official 'neighbourhood'. the main core can really only go south. as i mentioned in another thread, i believe 40 Bay and the toronto star parking lot will one day become business skyscrapers.

i like how this area is finally getting developed, but i too, would not want to live here. give me the annex, st lawrence, cabbagetown, chinatown, little italy, kensington, etc... and i'll walk down to the lake. no offense of course to the people who choose to live here, it's just not my preference.

The anonymity afforded by living in a thoroughly urban get-up-and-go high rise non-neighbourhood such as this, or nearbye City Place, is a perfectly legitimate alternative to traditional low rise living.

I'm not sure this'll ever be a neighbourhood and will just become an urban gated community - it's very similar to the Blue Jays Way/Wellington area. Icon 1/2, Soho, Jefferson, Element, soon to be M5V and Bell Lightbox (probably 4000 condos) but there is absolutely zero neighbourhood in terms of personal interaction. Stores - mostly not frequented by dwellers, restaurants - with the exception of Pizza Rustica - mostly not frequented by dwellers, etc.

More than Ice, what this area NEEDS is green space. Then again, I'm a firm believer that it's up to the people in the area (no matter the obstacles) to create a neighbourhood so we'll see what happens. I, for one, while liking the buildings, could never live here - it seems so, i dunno, disconnected even though it's in the center. The retail at the bottom of the pinnacle building (I think it's Pinnacle anyway - far right of the photo) doesn't do much for the streetscape and feels more like a strip mall.

thats not pinnacle, thats infinity, and just west of infinity is a fairly large park/greenspace. Pinnacle is the one in between telus and the two mls buildings in the back ground..

The horizontal banding will help define the facade after the building is occupied and the windows become random arrays of window blinds.

I consider this area to be an extension of the CBD - so the area will be defined by the people and the stores and services (restaurants) rather than built form urban design elements.

Last edited:
The horizontal banding will help define the facade after the building is occupied and the windows become random arrays of window blinds.

I think so too. I like how they have carried the horizontal bands into the towers from the podium, albeit thinner bands.

Back